OT: Sandy

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
      Any NJ people here have power yet?

      Mayor of my town says it could be another week without power for us. So there's no heat and no hot water. My toilet doesn't even flush.

      This stinks.

      But, I heard 80 homes burned down in Staten Island. Many homes along the NJ shore just aren't there anymore. Today I drove past a marina and saw dozens of boats crashed/capsized on land. Over in Manhattan, the entire city is dark south of Times Square. Mass transit is virtually non-existent. My company and countless others are shut down indefinitely.

      Cell service / cell Internet is better at night when fewer people are using it.
    • brian_cirulnick
      Message 2 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
        Hi Evan;

        I lost power for a while, but it's back now. I have minimal damage.

        How did INFOAGE hold up to the storm, since that's right in Belmar, which I kept seeing on CBS that it was flooded?

        If you need anything, call me, I can at least provide a hot shower if you need it, also, Newark appears to be fully-lit, so, there's probably food and maybe gas in that direction. (not so sure about gas).

        Message 3 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
          InfoAge had minimal damage. Strong buildings, a couple of miles inland, so there is a shingle missing here and a gutter broken there. InfoAge did lose several large trees -- thankfully they didn't take out any buildings, nor even the bald eagle nest. No water issues at all. So the museum is fine and will re-open whenever there's power.

          But just two or three miles away, there is true devastation.

          Will call you re: hospitality.

          I lost power for a while, but it's back now. I have minimal damage.

          How did INFOAGE hold up to the storm, since that's right in Belmar, which I kept seeing on CBS that it was flooded?

          If you need anything, call me, I can at least provide a hot shower if you need it, also, Newark appears to be fully-lit, so, there's probably food and maybe gas in that direction. (not so sure about gas).

          > Any NJ people here have power yet?
          >
          > Mayor of my town says it could be another week without power for us. So there's no heat and no hot water. My toilet doesn't even flush.
          >
          > This stinks.
          >
          > But, I heard 80 homes burned down in Staten Island. Many homes along the NJ shore just aren't there anymore. Today I drove past a marina and saw dozens of boats crashed/capsized on land. Over in Manhattan, the entire city is dark south of Times Square. Mass transit is virtually non-existent. My company and countless others are shut down indefinitely.
          >
          > Cell service / cell Internet is better at night when fewer people are using it.

        • Kelly D. Leavitt
          Message 4 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
            Lost power for 25 hours and 21 minutes. Lost phone and DSL for 48+ hours. Lost fiber for 46 hours.
            A lot of trees down up here in Sussex County New Jersey.

            Kelly

            Message 5 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
              To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              From: evan@...

              >Any NJ people here have power yet?

              I live in Monmouth County where 93% were without power on Tuesday. Thursday it was down to 73%. I still don't have power, but neighboring streets, neighboring towns have power. I may be one of the last on the list because there is a tree that took down some power wires and telephone pole. We have gas stove, gas fireplace. We are cooking what is safe to eat and making daily trips to the supermarket for food/ice. I am able to access internet from my two work locations which have power.

              I heard that 25% of cell towers in the hurricans path are down. It seems that both landlines and cell voice calls are not realiable. Text messaging works better, but also not 100% reliable.

              I have heard from many that live close or on the shore that many have lost homes & cars.

              Halloween is postponed by the governor. And the police have a curfew of 7pm to 7am for drivers in Monmouth County.

              Any gas stations that are open and have gas, well they have really long lines, as much as 2 to 3 miles long of cars on the should of the road. Luckily I filled up my tank on Sunday and still have half a tank.

              I'm very lucky. Very minimal damage to my house. Just trying to stay warm at night.

              Jeff Brace
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
                >> I have heard from many that live close or on the shore that many have lost homes & cars.

                Corey has very minimal 'net access; said a tree took out his wife's SUV.

                My boss had her car in NYC swallowed by the East River.
              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                  For New Jersey; it's a north/south and coastal/inland story. It's not well reported in the national media that way. I can speak for the inland bit, I live in central NJ near the PA border.

                  As of Sat evening, it's reported over 1.1 million NJians are without power - half of what it was days ago. There is, to a first order, no "gas shortage", it's a power shortage to gas stations. Most of the power loss is in northern NJ (north of I-195) and they are under even/odd gas rationing (you can only pump gas every other day).

                  South NJ, to my understanding, got more rain (several inches) and some local inland flooding. North NJ got more wind than rain (few inches).

                  In my county in central NJ, there are refugees locally from power outages, and from the Shore, so restaurants and groceries and gas stations (with power) are busy. Stores with power have people in them seeking warmth, food and AC outlets for recharging the usual stuff. I'm OK, but working on repairs, contractors for my property.

                  The big efforts are to remove trees that block roads, pull down power lines; and to restore MAJOR power lines. So the singular house on the block that is down with live wires is STILL waiting.

                  A winter storm may come Wednesday that could, depending, push more trees around, plus dump rain.

                  Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                    Herb nailed it.

                    Interesting behavior: all week long, when I was in a restaurant/store, every 10 minutes you'd hear someone pick up their phone, and then exclaim, "I got power!" ... As if they won a lottery. It's been a week of haves and have-not, power people vs. no-power people, gas people vs. no-gas people. Very unsettling.

                    JCP&L says 43% of my town will have power by tomorrow night and the rest might not get power for another 10 days. Egads!
                  • Ray Sills
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                      On 11/03/12, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                      Herb nailed it.

                      Interesting behavior: all week long, when I was in a restaurant/store, every 10 minutes you'd hear someone pick up their phone, and then exclaim, "I got power!" ... As if they won a lottery. It's been a week of haves and have-not, power people vs. no-power people, gas people vs. no-gas people. Very unsettling.

                      JCP&L says 43% of my town will have power by tomorrow night and the rest might not get power for another 10 days. Egads!

                      I'm out of town.... but if it's any consolation, on my trip down I-95 to Maryland, I saw -hundreds- , yes, hundreds of trucks with cherry pickers and other utility trucks driving north. Presumably, crews and gear from other states heading up the interstate to help with restoration.

                      73 de Ray
                    • corey986
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
                        Yep, minimal Internet. But it's getting better as parts of my town are powered up. I still have no power or phones or cell voice reception, but I have plenty of firewood to keep warm and a little sleep deprived from keeping the fire going. Before today it only worked at 5am ish...

                        I guess in my bad "texting", there was a misunderstanding, my wife's SUV took some shingles to the hood and windshield, so they need replacing. A tree missed it by about a foot. My house roof is history, and will need to be replaced. hopefully this week's storm won't be too bad. I think I lost mostly tabs and I didn't see any exposed tar paper, but can't get on the roof now.

                        We did loose some marine fish because of the temperature drop before we had a chance to hook the tank up to the generator. Luckily the house is so cold compared to normal so that the chiller isn't needed as that would take a lot from the generator.

                        All the vintage machines are unplugged so there won't be any problems, and to tease me, my processor technology eprom card arrived and I can't test it!!!!!

                        I have been reading a lot. Finally got through all the MITS documentation cover to cover and finished reading the latest Rick Riodan novel.

                        Work's been really good about things, especially when you have to waste half your day getting gas for the generator and firewood. I guess this has become my vacation for the year.

                        I do feel like I live on a farm, getting up before the crack of dawn to start a fire and staying up to past midnight to keep it going.

                        Cheers,
                        Corey

                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 13, 2012
                            Just got my power back yesterday afternoon, that's pretty much a full 14
                            days without. We lost 2 big trees. One across the driveway, taking out
                            my nice new fence. The other ripped the power lines off my house on
                            it's way to taking the power lines off the pole in the street -- which
                            then became suspended over the street by the remaining lines on the pole
                            (telephone, cable, etc).

                            The whole thing was complicated by the fact that we were in Arizona
                            visiting my brother, scheduled to come home that Monday morning, which
                            of course didn't happen as EWR was closed. We ended up getting a
                            Wednesday night flight into Pittsburgh, rented a car a drove home on
                            Thursday.

                            Thankfully, my Hotwater heater is NatGas on pilot light, no power
                            needed, and I wired my boiler to run off an extension cord (when we were
                            without power for 7 days after last years Halloween storm), so we were
                            able to survive. Just catching up on 2 weeks worth of emails now.

                            --Jason