5.25" 10 Hard Sector Disks

  • Systems Glitch
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
      All,

      I'm looking for 10-sector 5.25" hard sectored floppies for use with my NorthStar controller. I know these are really difficult to find. I'd read of someone in the Heath computer group getting a batch of 1000 made up for around $1.25 a disk. Anyone know if some of those are still available? Also, if they're not, does anyone want to try and do a similar bulk run?

      Thanks,
      Jonathan
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
        On 10/31/2012 09:41 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
        > I'm looking for 10-sector 5.25" hard sectored floppies for use with
        > my NorthStar controller. I know these are really difficult to find.
        > I'd read of someone in the Heath computer group getting a batch of
        > 1000 made up for around $1.25 a disk. Anyone know if some of those
        > are still available? Also, if they're not, does anyone want to try
        > and do a similar bulk run?

        It might be a good idea to mention this on the SEBHC list as well.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
          On Wed, 31 Oct 2012, Systems Glitch wrote:

          > I'm looking for 10-sector 5.25" hard sectored floppies for use with my
          > NorthStar controller. I know these are really difficult to find. I'd
          > read of someone in the Heath computer group getting a batch of 1000 made
          > up for around $1.25 a disk. Anyone know if some of those are still
          > available? Also, if they're not, does anyone want to try and do a
          > similar bulk run?

          Some of the guys on the SEBHC google group had some punches machined to
          make hard-sectored diskettes out of soft-sectored. Ask for Dwight Elvey.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          Message 4 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
            > On 10/31/2012 09:41 PM, Systems Glitch wrote:
            > > I'm looking for 10-sector 5.25" hard sectored floppies for use with
            > > my NorthStar controller. I know these are really difficult to find.
            > > I'd read of someone in the Heath computer group getting a batch of
            > > 1000 made up for around $1.25 a disk. Anyone know if some of those
            > > are still available? Also, if they're not, does anyone want to try
            > > and do a similar bulk run?
            >
            > It might be a good idea to mention this on the SEBHC list as well.
            >
            > -Dave

            I opened a new box of Wabash disks this weekend while we were working on N*
            DOS stuff (10 hard sectored), but they were decomposing / unreliable. I
            have used 10-sector disks, few new or barely used. Running low myself.

            Bill
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 31, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Systems Glitch <systems.glitch@...> wrote:

              > All,
              >
              > I'm looking for 10-sector 5.25" hard sectored floppies for use with my NorthStar controller. I know these are really difficult to find. I'd

              Could a drive be modified to provide 10 index pulses per revolution? Synchronized with the single index pulse of the common disk.

              Just a thought.

              Josh
            • Kelly D. Leavitt
              Message 6 of 12 , Nov 1, 2012
                > Some of the guys on the SEBHC google group had some punches machined to
                > make hard-sectored diskettes out of soft-sectored. Ask for Dwight Elvey.

                I have one of the punches if you would like to borrow it.
              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 12 , Nov 2, 2012
                  > I have one of the punches if you would like to borrow it.

                  I'd like to give it a try...I've head the punches tend to leave a dimple in the diskette cookie, which rubs against the sleeve. I have a pile of soft-sector disks I can try in the punch though, and if I get 10-20 good hard sector disks, that should be sufficient for personal use.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan
                  Message 8 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                    Rumors of using camp evans for temporary housing?
                    --
                    Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                    Message 9 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                      >> Rumors of using camp evans for temporary housing?

                      Doesn't sound realistic. InfoAge does not have the resources; whereas FM has modern barracks. But I'll text Fred just to check.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Nov 3, 2012
                        Fred responds: "No one has mentioned this to us and no gov persons were at Camp Evans this evening"
                      • Jeffrey Brace
                        Message 11 of 12 , Nov 4, 2012
                          Message 12 of 12 , Nov 5, 2012
                            > >Rumors of using camp evans for temporary housing?

                            If anyone needs temp housing, don't forget Red Cross. My family and I have been working at several Red Cross shelters in Burlington County during the past week. One of the overflow shelters had no power, so a group of us were busy getting generators running and power maintained, but that shelter has since been shut down because it wasn't needed.

                            Bob