Looking for a 5/24 vdc power supply

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 17, 2006
      I'm trying to power an AIM-65.  It needs 5V at around 2 amps, and 24V at a
      bit over 2 amps.  Does anyone know of a source for power supply?  I'd prefer
      a switching supply, but haven't found a suitable one at my usual places
      (MP Jones, etc).

      If possible, I'd like a single unit, not two.  Open frame is fine.

      Thanks

      Bob

      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 18, 2006
        Bob,

        Try www.mpja.com.

        I used to see a tabloid-sized magazine that carried lots of ads for parts
        distributors. I can't recall the name, but it was oriented toward electronics
        hobbyists.

        A web search just found http://www.shopeio.com/ and
        http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hall/8701/mega/partsupp.htm as another
        resource.

        Jim

        --- Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to power an AIM-65. It needs 5V at around 2 amps, and 24V at a
        > bit over 2 amps. Does anyone know of a source for power supply? I'd
        > prefer
        > a switching supply, but haven't found a suitable one at my usual places
        > (MP Jones, etc).
        >
        > If possible, I'd like a single unit, not two. Open frame is fine.
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > Bob

      • Erik Wendt
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 18, 2006
          Bob,

          The magazine is called Nuts and Volts. Try Jameco.com part number 196824PS.

          Erik Wendt
          A part-time lurker

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 18, 2006
            Bob, did you try DigiKey?

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 19, 2006
              Erik,

              Post more often!

              Jim

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 19, 2006
                Hello everyone,

                A week or two ago I mentioned that I had accepted a donation on behalf of
                MARCH of two AT&T 3B2 UNIX machines, an expansion unit and a terminal. This
                all came with documentation, software and more. I had hoped this could become
                the heart of a series of terminals around the museum that would display
                information about the exhibits, the museum, the collection, etc.

                As I have inspected the 3B2 machines, they are not really suitable for the
                intended task. They lack sufficient serial ports to drive even three teminals
                and they do not have an ethernet adapter. I'll still bring them down when I
                come for the April 1st event, but my search continues for a machine that can
                drive the "vintage experience" museum kiosks. This task could be done with
                Linux running on a surplus PC, but that would be a "pay no attention to that
                man behind the curtain" situation. We need a proper vintage machine for this
                task, like a micro-VAX or something similar that we can place in a prominant
                location as part of the exhibits. **IX would be the prefered OS as more of us
                would be able to help develop the kiosk system and add information. It should
                be accessible from the outside via SSH so we can work from home (IOW, we need
                ethernet).

                Does anyone have a line on a suitable machine?

                Jim
              • Kelly Leavitt
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 20, 2006
                  Well, I have a tandy 6000 (or a 16b) running a pretty simple database
                  (filePro 16+) under Xenix, that supports up to 8 serial terminals. Of
                  course, the power supply and hard drives gets flaky in these units unless
                  you keep them continuously cool. We chould tear the machine apart and mount
                  it up in an open frame for more circulation. I had one running like that for
                  quite a while one time. Its name in the network (serial network (micnet),
                  not ethernet) was Frankie.

                  > ----------

                • Erik Wendt
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 20, 2006
                    Jim,

                    The old 3B2/400, 600 and 700 series had port expanders that provided a
                    number of serial ports. I used to work at a place that had such beasts. I
                    don't know if there is anyone left that I know, but I can try to see if they
                    have anything they might consider donating.

                    Erik Wendt
                    A part-time lurker

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 20, 2006
                      I'm sure 3B2's will be interesting to significant numbers of people.
                      They definitely have a place in history.
                      Across InfoAge, there are a few multimedia kiosks --some clubs have
                      already constructed their own-- soas to run talking head videos and the
                      like, and the number of those kiosks will only increase. If we want to
                      make a BBS like network, and get the hardware together to do it, there
                      should be a lot of things to present to make the effort worthwhile. All I
                      can think of is StartTrek,Adventure, and some (clean) character graphics.
                      Online presentations of anything that can be photo/cinematographed, like
                      people and computers that are stored in the archive, will suffer without
                      Multimedia IMHO.

                      There should be a numbers of visitors who will want to re-live the
                      experience of a true period BBS, that hardware+software combination is
                      definitely something to shoot for. Don't know if we need more than 2 or 3
                      heads for such a system however. Agreed that exhibit machines need
                      interesting things to do, but the listing kiosk may be a seperate issue...
                      it need not reside on an exhibit machine, esp. with multimedia. The more
                      types of machines the better.

                      John A.
                    • ysgdhio
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 20, 2006
                        IIRC, the 8-port serial cards were called "EPORTS".

                        Anyway, it seems to me that we have a solution in search of a problem.
                        Why do we need kiosks?
                        (Other than "it would be nice")

                        Andy
                      • mejeep_ferret
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "John Allain" <allain@...> wrote:
                          > I'm sure 3B2's will be interesting to significant numbers of people.
                          > They definitely have a place in history.

                          Who's working on the 3b2? I'd love to lend a hand since I have the
                          maintenance manual and used them a lot while at AT&T Information
                          Systems. Anyone who worked at AT&T IS or the immediate spinoffs (SCO,
                          HP) would instantly recognize that red mouse!

                          We really need the games/demo stuff for that such as GEBACA.

                          > Across InfoAge, there are a few multimedia kiosks --some clubs have
                          > already constructed their own

                          The radio folks did a clever cheat: a DVD player to one of the
                          "classic" televisions. Perhaps we ought to gather DVDs,
                          YouTube/Google videos of computer pioneers & such to keep playing in
                          the background. I was disappointed that the IEEE library is really
                          tiny: I was hoping for videos and such that they'd circulate to
                          schools for show-n-tell.

                          > There should be a numbers of visitors who will want to re-live the
                          > experience of a true period BBS, that hardware+software combination is
                          > definitely something to shoot for. Don't know if we need more than
                          2 or 3
                          > heads for such a system however.

                          The TTY is a *MUST* for that! Perhaps a FidoNet link via internet?

                          -- Jeff Jonas
                        • mejeep_ferret
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 3, 2008
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Erik Wendt" <e.wendt@...> wrote:
                            > The old 3B2/400, 600 and 700 series had port expanders
                            > that provided a number of serial ports.
                            > Erik Wendt

                            I happen to have a spare 4 port card (I'd prefer an 8 port e-ports
                            card). I'd really prefer a 3b2/400 or later since the 310 was
                            severely memory limited, can't run SVR4 (I was on the development team
                            for that, the 3b2/400 was the porting base).

                            I saw that in the hall last weekend but had no time to do anything.
                            I'd love to fire it up and at least get any demos running. That would
                            be a lovely reason for me to donate my AT&T GNAT terminal (adm3a
                            work-alike).

                            > I had hoped this could become the heart of a series of
                            > terminals around the museum that would display
                            > information about the exhibits, the museum, the collection, etc

                            That's a lovely use for the CRT based terminals!

                            I'd like to have several printers online (Diablo, Decwriter, TTY)
                            so they could all print a small sample text
                            for folks to HEAR what computers used to sound like!

                            > As I have inspected the 3B2 machines,
                            > they are not really suitable for the intended task.
                            > They lack sufficient serial ports to drive even three teminals
                            > and they do not have an ethernet adapter.

                            I should be able to add 4 serial ports and 1 parallel port.
                            If the DECnet terminal server goes online via the VAX,
                            that'll certainly pull ahead for number of ports.

                            > It should be accessible from the outside via SSH
                            > so we can work from home (IOW, we need ethernet).
                            > Does anyone have a line on a suitable machine?
                            > Jim

                            My quick solution would be using a Linux (or BSD if there's more
                            expertise) machine as a firewall/gateway between "the outer world" and
                            the inner machines. That would handle SSH and authentication since
                            most inner machines have no such concept.

                            -- Jeff Jonas
                            Message 13 of 13 , Apr 4, 2008
                              One of the 3B2 systems already works quite well -- we know because we took
                              it to our recent AT&T demo day (in Middletown), and sure enough, a couple of
                              the employees there had it up and running in no time.

                              I don't know the status of our second 3B2 or the expansion module.

                              But -- you are welcome to help us and to design a (small) exhibit around
                              this. Contact me off-list.