Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Hazletine 1510

    Message 1 of 42 , Oct 30, 2012
      On 10/30/2012 11:29 PM, dfnr2 wrote:
      > I recently picked up a Hazeltine 1500 which was built from a kit. I believe I
      > have the schematics for that terminal as well. I will check next time I go to
      > storage. The 1500 is somewhere in the queue for restoration.

      Do you have those schematics in an electronic format?

      > Is the 1510 the same hardware as the 1500, but with different firmware? If so,
      > it would be nice to get a copy of the 1510 firmware, just to try it out.

      It's different hardware. The keyboard is different (and the keyboard
      is an integral part of the board) and I'm pretty sure there are more dip
      switches.

      > The Hazeltine 1500 is dear to my heart as well. It was the first terminal I got
      > to work on after only knowing punch-cards and ASR-33 teletypes at Memphis State
      > back in the 70's. They were hooked up to a Xerox Sigma-9. I also remember
      > playing Dave Platt's 550-point adventure on these terminals for many, many
      > hours.

      Nice!!

      > So these terminals are imprinted as prototypical terminals in my mind.

      Same here. :-)

      > BTW, I would LOVE to find a working Hazeltine 2000, if any still exist. I say
      > working, since I believe that these had core memory in them, and would be
      > difficult to authentically repair.

      Difficult, but not impossible! (I've done component-level repair on
      core memory systems...not in the mat, though!)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      New Kensington, PA
    • evan@snarc.net
      Message 42 of 42 , Dec 20, 2012
        >>> Straight-8 repair is reserved for Gesswein, with McGuire etc. as apprentice.

        >> "Apprentice", eh? ;)

        For that particular computer, yes.