Unknown Dual External 8" Floppy Drive Bay

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
      I managed to get a big 'ole steel box with two Tandon 8" drives. One of them had a broken handle, unfortunately. I went ahead and took the other off before it snapped before I took the picture. Any ideas who made this? I'm currently in the process of stripping the paint and repainting it. It was in rough shape from the outside, but the inside is quite clean. Sorry the pictures are so poor; the lighting in my condo is awful and is not helped by a poor phone camera. Didn't have a chance to pull out the good 'ole Canon 50D...

      I am going to make a floppy cable adapter so I can use this with a modern PC running ImageDisk or any other CP/M or S-100 systems that would require such a beast.

      There was a spot which seemed to have at one point a rectangular label on the side, but nothing I could tell was ever on the front. The back was also spotless, as was the bottom.

      Thanks!

      Kyle
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
        On 10/30/2012 11:42 PM, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > I managed to get a big 'ole steel box with two Tandon 8" drives. One of
        > them had a broken handle, unfortunately. I went ahead and took the other
        > off before it snapped before I took the picture. Any ideas who made
        > this? I'm currently in the process of stripping the paint and repainting
        > it. It was in rough shape from the outside, but the inside is quite
        > clean. Sorry the pictures are so poor; the lighting in my condo is awful
        > and is not helped by a poor phone camera. Didn't have a chance to pull
        > out the good 'ole Canon 50D...
        >
        > I am going to make a floppy cable adapter so I can use this with a
        > modern PC running ImageDisk or any other CP/M or S-100 systems that
        > would require such a beast.
        >
        > There was a spot which seemed to have at one point a rectangular label
        > on the side, but nothing I could tell was ever on the front. The back
        > was also spotless, as was the bottom.
        >
        > Link here: http://imgur.com/a/cRTVI

        Ahh, those gorgeous half-height 8" drives. I love those.

        As for identifying it...Good luck. The market was FLOODED with 8"
        drive chassis, selling all over the back of BYTE magazine, for many
        years. Dozens, if not hundreds of companies made them, trying to
        out-cheap each other on the sheet metal and power supplies.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
          On Tue, 30 Oct 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:

          > I am going to make a floppy cable adapter so I can use this with a modern
          > PC running ImageDisk or any other CP/M or S-100 systems that would require
          > such a beast.

          Save yourself some time and get one of these:

          http://dbit.com/fdadap.html

          It works very well.

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012

            > I managed to get a big 'ole steel box with two Tandon 8" drives. One of
            > them had a broken handle, unfortunately. I went ahead and took the other
            > off before it snapped before I took the picture.

            These are probably tandon TM-848's. Contact me in a few weeks about parts and docs, c/o retrotechnology.com.

            Herb
          • Systems Glitch
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
              > Save yourself some time and get one of these:
              >
              > http://dbit.com/fdadap.html
              >
              > It works very well.

              +1 -- I dragged my feet about buying one, kept telling myself I'd eventually implement a device to keep track of TG43 (I use two Qume drives in a CompuPro enclosure, which don't do TG43 on their own). Eventually I just bought one of the adapter boards to replace my homebrew cable. Nice little board, and I can leave it in the case when it isn't in use.

              Thanks,
              Jonathan
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
                > > Save yourself some time and get one of these:
                > >
                > > http://dbit.com/fdadap.html
                > >
                > > It works very well.
                >
                > +1 -- I dragged my feet about buying one, kept telling myself I'd
                eventually implement a device to keep track of TG43 (I use two Qume drives
                in a CompuPro enclosure, which don't do TG43 on their own). Eventually I
                just bought one of the adapter boards to replace my homebrew cable. Nice
                little board, and I can leave it in the case when it isn't in use.

                > Thanks,
                > Jonathan

                +2 - I have had this for a while now. works.

                bd
              • jack.rubin@ameritech.net
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012
                  Excellent product - and John Wilson (dBit) is your (Jonathan's) neighbor.

                  Jack