Evan is down

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 29, 2012
      Evan lost all power, internet and his cell so so but texting is working

      He asked me to update you all
    • Ray Sills
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 29, 2012
        On Oct 29, 2012, at 8:51 PM, Christian Liendo wrote:

        > Evan lost all power, internet and his cell so so but texting is
        > working
        >
        > He asked me to update you all

        That's a good reminder that in situations where cell service gets
        dicey, text messages often can get through. Text, of course, is not
        real time and requires much less bandwidth. Also, keep your cell
        phone charged up, etc.

        73 de Ray
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 29, 2012
          >> Evan lost all power, internet and his cell so so but texting is working. He asked me to update you all

          Went to sleep at 9 because there was nothing to do. Spontaneously woke up just now. Saw that Chris' email arrived after 11, two hours after I texted him. So ... it's as slow as usual. :) Cellular internet is back, but could go away at any time.

          I think my home is unscathed but I'm not going outside until daylight. Too risky.
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
            HS Sandy made it all the way to Toronto, many trees snapped, many signs fell. One sign in particular hit and killed a woman, not a good sign.

            I'm sure glad I'm not living near the coast! In one photo, I saw a bunch of flooded trailers, too bad those folks didn't know there would be so much water, otherwise, why else wouldn't they have moved their trailers to higher ground?

            Best wishes to all.
            Josh
          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
              On Oct 30, 2012, at 7:40 AM, joshbensadon wrote:

              > HS Sandy made it all the way to Toronto, many trees snapped, many
              > signs fell. One sign in particular hit and killed a woman, not a
              > good sign.
              >
              > I'm sure glad I'm not living near the coast! In one photo, I saw a
              > bunch of flooded trailers, too bad those folks didn't know there
              > would be so much water, otherwise, why else wouldn't they have moved
              > their trailers to higher ground?
              >
              > Best wishes to all.
              > Josh

              HI Josh:

              Sorry to hear about the fatality in your area. Regarding trailers...
              or as sometimes called.. "manufactured homes". Many are not designed
              to be removed from their sites, after initial installation. Not so,
              of course, for RV type homes.

              In my area, Warrington, Bucks County, PA, we did not lose power,
              although the lights blinked several times last night. Not enough to
              make my computer shut down, however. We were very lucky in this
              neighborhood, because many of the towns nearby did lose power.

              The wind was darn noisy last night.

              73 de Ray
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 30, 2012
                No major flooding in my town in northern NJ this year. But there are many trees down, etc. -- although my home and property are okay. Trying to reach family members. Saw a local cop outside -- he said probably no power for 4 or 5 days. I have hot water so that's good. At least I can bathe.
              • s100doctor
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 31, 2012

                  > HS Sandy made it all the way to Toronto....,

                  I suggest you (Toronto) follow national weather reports. You may see Sandy over the next several days.

                  To all: There's several subject-threads about Sandy. I suggest ONE subject thread for members who report on their Sandy impacts. I chose this subject thread as most-relevant.

                  My Trenton-area central NJ home is OK but roof damaged, tree down but in safe fashion. We surprisingly kept power throughout, only lost cable/internet one plus days. Massive central NJ road stoppages due to down trees and power lines - 50% to 90% power losses by township. Very little flooding as we were not on front edge of storm when center was at sea. That is to say, the center passed 100-150 MILES south. That's not a typo.

                  I'll be busy for days with property repair.

                  Herb Johnson