Re: [midatlanticretro] Hope all you guys and infoage is ok

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
      Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

      > If that were the case, there wouldn't be much of an issue.

      10 mins to the shore for me; it's just not that big an issue. There have
      been a few power line glitches and the phone is out (Yeah!!!), but there
      is not as much rain as I've experienced with some of our worst noreasters.
      Right along the shore, there is storm surge. I do hope people there and
      on the barrier islands got out, but there's really nothing else that seems
      all that severe from my vantage point. Being that it's late fall, it is
      one hell of a mess out there thought from all the leaves that have been
      blown about.
    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
        Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:

        >--CMlyZvg5cHFe2pqjxeURzy3QejSG3QE3HAPiljR Content-Type: text/plain;
        >charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
        >
        >>From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...> >I'm fine up in north NJ=A0
        >

        >I'm on the 11th floor of the NYTimes building.. and the building is
        >creakin= g... Blah!!!

        Take the elevator to the 1st floor! :)
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
          On 10/29/2012 07:44 PM, system@... wrote:
          >> If that were the case, there wouldn't be much of an issue.
          >
          > 10 mins to the shore for me; it's just not that big an issue. There have
          > been a few power line glitches and the phone is out (Yeah!!!), but there
          > is not as much rain as I've experienced with some of our worst noreasters.
          > Right along the shore, there is storm surge. I do hope people there and
          > on the barrier islands got out, but there's really nothing else that seems
          > all that severe from my vantage point. Being that it's late fall, it is
          > one hell of a mess out there thought from all the leaves that have been
          > blown about.

          I am hundreds of miles away from there and just fixed a water problem
          in my basement.

          The pier on which I spent a lot of my growing-up years appears to be gone.

          I hope the rest of it is as trivial as you're saying.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, system@... wrote:

            > Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> writes:
            >
            > >--CMlyZvg5cHFe2pqjxeURzy3QejSG3QE3HAPiljR Content-Type: text/plain;
            > >charset=iso-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
            > >
            > >>From: Evan Koblentz <evan@...> >I'm fine up in north NJ=A0
            > >

            > >I'm on the 11th floor of the NYTimes building.. and the building is
            > >creakin= g... Blah!!!
            >
            > Take the elevator to the 1st floor! :)

            Better take the stairs, or you might spend the night in an elevator!
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
              On 10/29/2012 07:54 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
              >> Take the elevator to the 1st floor! :)
              >
              > Better take the stairs, or you might spend the night in an elevator!

              Been there, done that...I don't recommend it. To make matters worse,
              one guy in there had a nasty case of the farts. (might've been me)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 29, 2012
                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                >On 10/29/2012 07:44 PM, system@... wrote: >> If
                >that were the case, there wouldn't be much of an issue. > > 10 mins to
                >the shore for me; it's just not that big an issue. There have > been a
                >few power line glitches and the phone is out (Yeah!!!), but there > is
                >not as much rain as I've experienced with some of our worst noreasters.
                >> Right along the shore, there is storm surge. I do hope people there
                >and > on the barrier islands got out, but there's really nothing else
                >that seems > all that severe from my vantage point. Being that it's
                >late fall, it is > one hell of a mess out there thought from all the
                >leaves that have been > blown about.
                >
                > I am hundreds of miles away from there and just fixed a water problem
                >in my basement.

                Basement here is dry. I put the extension leaders on the downspouts
                yesterday and some plastic pipe to carry the water to the street curb.

                > The pier on which I spent a lot of my growing-up years appears to be
                >gone.

                I believe that. The surf is extremely angry. Storm and astronomical
                high tide from the full moon. That's not a pleasant combination for
                those immediate shoreline dwellers. I lived a block from the beach
                when Gloria came up the NJ coast. The apartments on the first floor
                got flooded out. I lived on the second. I had to wade in water to
                my groin to get out the next day. A little farther inland is safer
                and much drier! :)