Newbie to group

  • joen2cx
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 29, 2012
      Hi Gang, Joe, N2CX here. Looks like I may find a few kindred spirits here. In addition to my ham radio addiction for the last (yikes!) half century I've enjoyed a number of vintage computers over the years.

      A Kim, an ELF, a VIP, several 8080, 8085 and 6800 one chip homebrew boards, a Xerox 860 board (ah, CPM and 8-inch floppies) and many newer eva.l boards come to mind along with a TRS80 handheld and a variety of newer 'puters have consumed scads of my time and mental MIPS.

      These days I'm busy with QRP and homebrewing but it's still fun to occasionally tinker with hardware from the kinder and gentler bygone days.

      I've also gotta spend some serious time at Camp Evans. It's not too far since I live in the Phila suburbs.

      72/73,

      Joe E., N2CX
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 29, 2012
        >>> Hi Gang, Joe, N2CX here. Looks like I may find a few kindred spirits here.

        Welcome to the group. Email me privately if you'd like a tour of the museum facility.

        Our next group event is our holiday party, aka "Vintage Computer Festivus", Dec. 8-9 at the museum.
      • billdeg
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 29, 2012
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "joen2cx" <n2cx@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang, Joe, N2CX here. Looks like I may find a few kindred spirits here. In addition to my ham radio addiction for the last (yikes!) half century I've enjoyed a number of vintage computers over the years.
          >
          > A Kim, an ELF, a VIP, several 8080, 8085 and 6800 one chip homebrew boards, a Xerox 860 board (ah, CPM and 8-inch floppies) and many newer eva.l boards come to mind along with a TRS80 handheld and a variety of newer 'puters have consumed scads of my time and mental MIPS.
          >
          > These days I'm busy with QRP and homebrewing but it's still fun to occasionally tinker with hardware from the kinder and gentler bygone days.
          >
          > I've also gotta spend some serious time at Camp Evans. It's not too far since I live in the Phila suburbs.
          >
          > 72/73,
          >
          > Joe E., N2CX

          Joe,
          I live about 30 minutes south west of Phila. Take a look at midatlanticretro.org for upcoming events. I have a few vintage computers here and there myself. Welcome.
          Bill d
        • hornbetw
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 10, 2012
            I guess I should throw my 2 cents in here. Sorry about waiting so long to introduce myself. I'm an Engineering Technician with 20 years experience working on everything from Radar systems to Oil Exploration tools. Most of my background is in digital design and debug of embedded systems. I look forward to helping the members in the Philly area as needed in getting their systems up and running. I live in Spring City near the old Pennhurst site.

            I currently have my original computer, a TRS-80 Model I with 48K, E/I, dual floppies (SSDD - have a set of DSDD drives to replace them) and a DMP-105 printer. I'm primarily interested in Z-80 based systems. I'm hoping to pick up a Model 4 sometime in the near future.

            Tom
          • ekoblentz
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 10, 2012
              >>> I guess I should throw my 2 cents in here. Sorry about waiting so long to introduce myself. I'm an Engineering Technician with 20 years experience working on everything from Radar systems to Oil Exploration tools. Most of my background is in digital design and debug of embedded systems.

              Welcome Tom. You'll fit in here. What's your experience with radar systems?

              >>> I look forward to helping the members in the Philly area as needed in getting their systems up and running. I live in Spring City near the old Pennhurst site.

              Excellent. As you probably read, we have many members in the Philly area.

              >>> I currently have my original computer, a TRS-80 Model I with 48K, E/I, dual floppies (SSDD - have a set of DSDD drives to replace them) and a DMP-105 printer. I'm primarily interested in Z-80 based systems. I'm hoping to pick up a Model 4 sometime in the near future.

              Our holiday party ("Festivus") is Dec. 18-19 at our museum facility in Wall, N.J.; maybe someone can hook you up with a Model IV.

              - Evan K.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 11, 2012
                >Our holiday party ("Festivus") is Dec. 18-19 at our museum facility in
                >Wall, N.J.; maybe someone can hook you up with a Model IV.
                >- Evan K.

                Evan don't you mean Dec. 8-9 ?
                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 11, 2012
                  See midatlanticretro.org for calendar. Evan transposed may event with festivus.
                  --
                  Sent from my PDP 8/e.
                • hornbetw
                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 11, 2012
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "ekoblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                    > Welcome Tom. You'll fit in here. What's your experience with radar systems?

                    I worked on tactical air traffic control radar systems in the Marines. One of the systems I worked on was a close relative of the systems developed at Camp Evans. The AN/UPS-1 radar hit the fleet in 1949!

                    > Our holiday party ("Festivus") is Dec. 18-19 at our museum facility in Wall, N.J.; maybe someone can hook you up with a Model IV.
                    >
                    > - Evan K.

                    I'll have to check my calendar and see if I can make it. I've enjoyed my trips to Infoage for the last couple of VCF Easts.
                    Message 9 of 9 , Nov 11, 2012
                      >>> Our holiday party ("Festivus") is Dec. 18-19 at our museum facility in Wall, N.J.; maybe someone can hook you up with a Model IV.
                      >> Evan don't you mean Dec. 8-9 ?

                      Yes. Oops.