Re: Next week's storm

  • s100doctor
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2012

      > Someone asked me about the storm due next week. The good news is,
      > because I'm such a procrastinator, I never got around to reorganizing
      > our stuff in the museum basement that I moved to higher ground for Irene
      > last summer. So it's still there on the higher shelves. :)
      >
      > I will be there this Saturday night and will take a look around. But
      > there's no reason to worry. Even during Irene, we only had a tiny puddle
      > in our section of the basement -- and by all accounts this storm isn't
      > going to be as bad as Irene.
      >
      > InfoAge itself is built on high ground. There's a river next door, but
      > it would take a flood of biblical proportions for that water to crest
      > the steep cliff between it and our campus.

      Irene was predicted to hit the Jersey Shore; in fact it did more damage INLAND. So using Irene-at-the-shore as a gauge is not a good reference. Also: high tide (full moon) is this weekend.

      I don't see the point of arguing about weather with Evan, he and I are not meteorologists. By Saturday, the predictions should be more stable and realistic; the center will likely hit shore Mon-Tue. Even discounting the vague but hyperbolic "Frankenstorm" predictions from the once-reliable Weather Channel - which is now mostly a reality show - it's a big, BIG storm.

      Five days of rain (current NJ/PA predictions) is not something to brush off. The National Weather Service is a good bet to monitor.

      Herb Johnson