Control Logic Inc. 1k SRAM Board

  • Kyle Owen
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 25, 2012
      I found this in a pile of random junk. Does anyone have any idea what system this would've gone to?

      Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/R92uP

      Thanks!

      Kyle
    • Alexey Toptygin
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 25, 2012
        On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:

        > I found this in a pile of random junk. Does anyone have any idea what
        > system this would've gone to?
        >
        > Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/R92uP

        Well, you yourself have figured out that it's 1kx8 SRAM. Not sure what the
        74154 is on there for, I would think all 8 chips were enabled at the same
        time...

        Googling for LRM-598 yelds this excerpt from "Behavior Research Methods"
        Volume 6 Number 5 (1974):

        http://www.springerlink.com/content/01142v5280875h54/fulltext.pdf

        Which on pages 513-514 says:

        Do-It-Yourself LSI "Minicomputer"
        The Control Logic (Nine Tech Circle, Natick, Mass. 01760) L series allows
        the user to assemble a wide variery of "minicomputers" for digital
        applications. The series includes the following basic building blocks: a
        processing unit, memories, I/O functions, packaging and prototyping
        accessories. The series consists of 3 in. x 5 in. digital logic cards on
        which components are partitioned. Typical listed prices: LCP-593 CPU
        (20-microsec instruction time, 8-bit parallel processor, input multiplexor
        and state decoder) at $195; LIO-594 I/O control, $95; LRM-598 1,024-byte
        RAM, $325; LDD-503 device address decoder (4-bit to 16-line), $30;
        priority interrupt control, $75; Teletype interface, $85.

        So you've got the most expensive piece :-)

        There are references here to Control Logic documentation on the L series:

        http://www.experimentaltvcenter.org/biblio/author/612

        But I don't know where you'd get the actual documents; perhaps
        experimentaltvcenter.org has copies and could scan them for you.

        Alexey
      • Dan Roganti
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 25, 2012

           _  ____
          / \__/
          Scotty, We Need More Power !!
          \_/ _\__ Aye, Cap'n, but we've only got 80 col's !

          On Fri, Oct 26, 2012 at 12:39 AM, Alexey Toptygin <alexeyt@...> wrote:
          On Thu, 25 Oct 2012, Kyle Owen wrote:

          > I found this in a pile of random junk. Does anyone have any idea what
          > system this would've gone to?
          >
          > Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/R92uP

          Well, you yourself have figured out that it's 1kx8 SRAM. Not sure what the
          74154 is on there for, I would think all 8 chips were enabled at the same
          time...

          Page/Bank Address decoding.
          The whole bank of memory chips on the card would be active once they are selected via the address.
          I'm sure they used several of these cards to get more than 1K in their system.
          The 74154 provides the decoding, all of the cards can't be enabled at the same time ;)

          Dan

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 26, 2012