Next week's storm

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 25, 2012
      Someone asked me about the storm due next week. The good news is,
      because I'm such a procrastinator, I never got around to reorganizing
      our stuff in the museum basement that I moved to higher ground for Irene
      last summer. So it's still there on the higher shelves. :)

      I will be there this Saturday night and will take a look around. But
      there's no reason to worry. Even during Irene, we only had a tiny puddle
      in our section of the basement -- and by all accounts this storm isn't
      going to be as bad as Irene.

      InfoAge itself is built on high ground. There's a river next door, but
      it would take a flood of biblical proportions for that water to crest
      the steep cliff between it and our campus.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 25, 2012

        On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 11:23 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

        InfoAge itself is built on high ground. There's a river next door, but
        it would take a flood of biblical proportions .......

        I believe that quantitative unit of measurement is still less than cosmic proportions :)

      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 26, 2012

          > Someone asked me about the storm due next week. The good news is,
          > because I'm such a procrastinator, I never got around to reorganizing
          > our stuff in the museum basement that I moved to higher ground for Irene
          > last summer. So it's still there on the higher shelves. :)
          >
          > I will be there this Saturday night and will take a look around. But
          > there's no reason to worry. Even during Irene, we only had a tiny puddle
          > in our section of the basement -- and by all accounts this storm isn't
          > going to be as bad as Irene.
          >
          > InfoAge itself is built on high ground. There's a river next door, but
          > it would take a flood of biblical proportions for that water to crest
          > the steep cliff between it and our campus.

          Irene was predicted to hit the Jersey Shore; in fact it did more damage INLAND. So using Irene-at-the-shore as a gauge is not a good reference. Also: high tide (full moon) is this weekend.

          I don't see the point of arguing about weather with Evan, he and I are not meteorologists. By Saturday, the predictions should be more stable and realistic; the center will likely hit shore Mon-Tue. Even discounting the vague but hyperbolic "Frankenstorm" predictions from the once-reliable Weather Channel - which is now mostly a reality show - it's a big, BIG storm.

          Five days of rain (current NJ/PA predictions) is not something to brush off. The National Weather Service is a good bet to monitor.

          Herb Johnson