Urgent: MARCH needs for VT-100/101-style keyboards, ASAP

    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
      Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need for
      four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or so,
      and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please
      contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will explain the situation.

      Thanks.
    • William Donzelli
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
        > Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need for
        > four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or so,
        > and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please
        > contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will explain the situation.

        You are not going to get very far being so secretive.

        Nearly everyone that collects VT100oid terminals has a shortage of
        keyboards, and are loathed to give even one up.

        --
        Will
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
          >> Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need for four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or so, and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will explain the situation.
          > You are not going to get very far being so secretive.
          >
          > Nearly everyone that collects VT100oid terminals has a shortage of keyboards, and are loathed to give even one up.

          I suppose you're right ... okay, everyone, here's the story:

          MARCH has a golden opportunity to make some money for our budget. We're
          talking many thousands of dollars -- it's like getting an entire extra
          year of our budget.

          The opportunity is in the form of selling some hardware, including some
          terminals, to a company that's making a television show. Normally, we
          only rent -- but this is an exception given the amount of money and the
          fact that we can spare what they need (a variety of terminals and other
          hardware.) However, we're four keyboards short of fulfilling our end of
          the deal. (I'm sure everyone can understand that I am unable to post too
          many details in public.)

          I understand that these keyboard are rare. So:
          - For each keyboard, the owner can have an equal-value item in kind from
          our inventory (on the condition that it's something we can spare)
          - Everyone should keep in mind that it's not just four keyboards -- it's
          a direct way to help the club massively increase our budget. For
          example, right now we have about two dozen shelving units; we could use
          another two dozen. If we can get these keyboards to complete the deal,
          that would finish organizing our storage area, and still leave a couple
          of grand for the budget. In other words, these four keyboards will go a
          LOOOOONG way to benefit the whole club, well beyond the actual dollar
          value of the keyboards.
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
            While we're on the subject ... I'd like to remind everyone of how we
            approach such fundraising opportunities.

            - I never make these decisions by myself. I always run it past the club
            officers.

            - Part of my role as group leader is to make sure we have enough funds
            to operate and also for a rainy day. Much of that comes from VCF East.
            Much of it comes from donations. Some comes from rental/sale opportunities.

            - When people donate equipment to us, it's with the understanding that
            we'll use the equipment to do what's best for the group. Sometimes, that
            means trading/selling it, either for other artifacts, or sometimes for
            money.

            - We also decline some opportunities. Sometimes they'd take too many
            resources, and sometimes they're just not worthwhile.

            - We never, ever rent/sell "museum-quality" artifacts, or things that we
            can't spare .... Altairs, PDP-11s, etc., etc. -- that stuff is simply
            off-the-table. Recently, a renter asked for our PDP-8E. I said no way.
            He wasn't happy, but oh well.

            - We never, ever rent/sell equipment to anyone who'll not treat that
            equipment with respect. For example, one time somebody wanted to buy an
            item which would be essentially destroyed for an art project. We firmly
            declined.

            - When we do rentals, we require proof of insurance, professional
            transportation, signed contracts, etc.

            - In the current opportunity, we were approached through a mutual
            friend, and we can spare everything on the buyer's list -- except these
            four more keyboards.
            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
              On 10/24/2012 09:45 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
              > While we're on the subject ... I'd like to remind everyone of how we
              > approach such fundraising opportunities.
              >
              > - I never make these decisions by myself. I always run it past the club
              > officers.
              >
              > - Part of my role as group leader is to make sure we have enough funds
              > to operate and also for a rainy day. Much of that comes from VCF East.
              > Much of it comes from donations. Some comes from rental/sale opportunities.
              >
              > - When people donate equipment to us, it's with the understanding that
              > we'll use the equipment to do what's best for the group. Sometimes, that
              > means trading/selling it, either for other artifacts, or sometimes for
              > money.
              >
              > - We also decline some opportunities. Sometimes they'd take too many
              > resources, and sometimes they're just not worthwhile.
              >
              > - We never, ever rent/sell "museum-quality" artifacts, or things that we
              > can't spare .... Altairs, PDP-11s, etc., etc. -- that stuff is simply
              > off-the-table. Recently, a renter asked for our PDP-8E. I said no way.
              > He wasn't happy, but oh well.
              >
              > - We never, ever rent/sell equipment to anyone who'll not treat that
              > equipment with respect. For example, one time somebody wanted to buy an
              > item which would be essentially destroyed for an art project. We firmly
              > declined.
              >
              > - When we do rentals, we require proof of insurance, professional
              > transportation, signed contracts, etc.
              >
              > - In the current opportunity, we were approached through a mutual
              > friend, and we can spare everything on the buyer's list -- except these
              > four more keyboards.

              Sounds very well thought-out to me.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012

                >>> Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need for four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or so, and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will explain the situation.
                >> You are not going to get very far being so secretive.
                >>
                >> Nearly everyone that collects VT100oid terminals has a shortage of keyboards, and are loathed to give even one up.
                > I suppose you're right ... okay, everyone, here's the story:
                >
                > MARCH has a golden opportunity to make some money for our budget. We're talking many thousands of dollars -- it's like getting an entire extra year of our budget.
                >
                > The opportunity is in the form of selling some hardware, including some terminals, to a company that's making a television show. Normally, we only rent -- but this is an exception given the amount of money and the fact that we can spare what they need (a variety of terminals and other hardware.) However, we're four keyboards short of fulfilling our end of the deal. (I'm sure everyone can understand that I am unable to post too many details in public.)
                >
                > I understand that these keyboard are rare. So:
                > - For each keyboard, the owner can have an equal-value item in kind from our inventory (on the condition that it's something we can spare)
                > - Everyone should keep in mind that it's not just four keyboards -- it's a direct way to help the club massively increase our budget. For
                > example, right now we have about two dozen shelving units; we could use another two dozen. If we can get these keyboards to complete the deal, that would finish organizing our storage area, and still leave a couple of grand for the budget. In other words, these four keyboards will go a LOOOOONG way to benefit the whole club, well beyond the actual dollar value of the keyboards.

                A dedicated MARCHin offered one. Three to go ...
              • Systems Glitch
                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 24, 2012
                  I wish I had some to throw in...unfortunately, the only VT100-like terminals I have are C.Itoh clones and the keyboards are incompatible.

                  Thanks,
                  Jonathan

                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                    Evan Koblentz <evan@...> writes:

                    >>> Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need
                    >for four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or
                    >so, and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please
                    >contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will expla in the situation. > You are
                    >not going to get very far being so secretive. > > Nearly everyone that
                    >collects VT100oid terminals has a shortage of keyboards, and are loathed
                    >to give even one up.
                    >
                    >I suppose you're right ... okay, everyone, here's the story:
                    >
                    >MARCH has a golden opportunity to make some money for our budget. We're
                    >talking many thousands of dollars -- it's like getting an entire extra
                    >year of our budget.
                    >
                    >The opportunity is in the form of selling some hardware, including some
                    >terminals, to a company that's making a television show. Normally, we
                    >only rent -- but this is an exception given the amount of money and the
                    >fact that we can spare what they need (a variety of terminals and other
                    >hardware.) However, we're four keyboards short of fulfilling our end of
                    >the deal. (I'm sure everyone can understand that I am unable to post too
                    >many details in public.)
                    >
                    >I understand that these keyboard are rare. So: - For each keyboard, the
                    >owner can have an equal-value item in kind from our inventory (on the
                    >condition that it's something we can spare) - Everyone should keep in
                    >mind that it's not just four keyboards -- it's a direct way to help the
                    >club massively increase our budget. For example, right now we have about
                    >two dozen shelving units; we could use another two dozen. If we can get
                    >these keyboards to complete the deal, that would finish organizing our
                    >storage area, and still leave a couple of grand for the budget. In other
                    >words, these four keyboards will go a LOOOOONG way to benefit the whole
                    >club, well beyond the actual dollar value of the keyboards.

                    Even, after your call last evening, I had a thought about what will happen
                    to this kit once they are done filming the sequence(s) where these VT100s
                    will be seen? These are merely props to the film crew and after the scene
                    has been shot, props are generally regarded trash. I'd hate knowing that
                    these gems of computer history were relegated to landfill fodder. I know
                    that they are *purchasing* this kit, so it's theirs to do with as they see
                    fit, but shouldn't we as computer historians and perservationists try our
                    best to recover this kit when its usefulness to the film company has come
                    to an end??? Perhaps, offer -- at the time of the contract of sale -- to
                    take the kit back for proper disposal. Maybe, an appeal to their "green"
                    side???
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                      >>> I had a thought about what will happen to this kit once they are done filming the sequence(s) where these VT100s will be seen? These are merely props to the film crew and after the scene has been shot, props are generally regarded trash.

                      The situation is that it's not one or two scenes -- it's going to be a permanent part of the show's set. The show is based around the jobs/office of its main characters, which involves an early-1980s government agency.

                      I had the same thought as you, but they explained how their company plans to keep the terminals for any similar needs down the road, after the show eventually ends (or if it flops).

                      Granted, these terminals aren't exactly as common as 8-bit micros. But I evaluated the money involved vs. our excess supply (non-museum-quality) terminals, and decided that in this specific case, the deal made sense.

                      Could I have negotiated harder? Perhaps. For example, recently I walked away from someone's offer of $3K for our 6501 chip + its manuals. That particular artifact is very special to us.

                      >>> shouldn't we as computer historians and perservationists try our
                      best to recover this kit when its usefulness to the film company has come to an end???

                      That's a good idea. As I said, they plan to keep these long-term, but I will ask them about "right of first refusal" should they ever decide to let the terminals go.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                        >>> That's a good idea. As I said, they plan to keep these long-term, but I will ask them about "right of first refusal" should they ever decide to let the terminals go.

                        I asked. Our contact wrote right back: "Absolutely...I will put in a request that you guys get first dibbs on the machines, when/if  they are retired."

                        >>> I had a thought about what will happen to this kit once they are done filming the sequence(s) where these VT100s will be seen? These are merely props to the film crew and after the scene has been shot, props are generally regarded trash.

                        The situation is that it's not one or two scenes -- it's going to be a permanent part of the show's set. The show is based around the jobs/office of its main characters, which involves an early-1980s government agency.

                        I had the same thought as you, but they explained how their company plans to keep the terminals for any similar needs down the road, after the show eventually ends (or if it flops).

                        Granted, these terminals aren't exactly as common as 8-bit micros. But I evaluated the money involved vs. our excess supply (non-museum-quality) terminals, and decided that in this specific case, the deal made sense.

                        Could I have negotiated harder? Perhaps. For example, recently I walked away from someone's offer of $3K for our 6501 chip + its manuals. That particular artifact is very special to us.

                        >>> shouldn't we as computer historians and perservationists try our
                        best to recover this kit when its usefulness to the film company has come to an end???

                        That's a good idea. As I said, they plan to keep these long-term, but I will ask them about "right of first refusal" should they ever decide to let the terminals go.

                      • Alexey Toptygin
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                          On Wed, 24 Oct 2012, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                          > A dedicated MARCHin offered one. Three to go ...

                          Well, I have a VT-102 with a keyboard, but if I give up the keyboard what
                          will I do with the terminal? I want to help MARCH but I'm not sure in this
                          case, since the terminal will need to go to someone else that has a
                          keyboard or it will become a paperweight...

                          Alexey
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                            The one that somebody offered to us fell through. It was missing a bunch of keys. These need to look halfway decent on camera.

                            Anyone have the part # for 100/101 keyboards? I found a place called VARX that may have what we need (and they're in New Jersey!) but their receptionist asked for the part # and I do not know it.
                          • David Gesswein
                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                              On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 07:09:54PM +0000, Evan Koblentz wrote:

                              > Anyone have the part # for 100/101 keyboards? I found a place called
                              > VARX that may have what we need (and they're in New Jersey!) but
                              > their receptionist asked for the part # and I do not know it.

                              The standard is 70-14653-00. The last digits indicate the variations such as
                              the colored keys for WPS/DECmate.
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 25, 2012
                                "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> writes:

                                >The one that somebody offered to us fell through. It was missing a bunch
                                >of keys. These need to look halfway decent on camera.
                                >
                                >Anyone have the part # for 100/101 keyboards? I found a place called
                                >VARX that may have what we need (and they're in New Jersey!) but their
                                >receptionist asked for the part # and I do not know it.

                                DEC part # for a VT100 keyboard (at least, one of them) is:

                                70-14653-00
                              • Mike
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 26, 2012
                                  It's pretty hard to say no to these kind of opportunities.

                                  Earlier this year, I sold a batch of Mimeo PCBs plus a few key components (Sprague capacitors and edge connectors) to a prop house in LA for use in one of the upcoming Jobs movies. They were going to build them up into non-functional props using parts of the right form factor. I really hated to include those sprague caps, since they are so hard to come by, and these systems will never operate. The opportunity was too good to pass up, and I didn't want the "props" to look totally wrong, which they would, without the correct capacitors. They told me that after the movie is filmed, the props get put away in a "vault".

                                  I am anxious to see if they show up in the movie and if they do, how well the build turned out.

                                  Regards,
                                  Mike W.

                                  > The situation is that it's not one or two scenes -- it's going to be a permanent part of the show's set. The show is based around the jobs/office of its main characters, which involves an early-1980s government agency.
                                  >
                                  > I had the same thought as you, but they explained how their company plans to keep the terminals for any similar needs down the road, after the show eventually ends (or if it flops).
                                  >
                                  > Granted, these terminals aren't exactly as common as 8-bit micros. But I evaluated the money involved vs. our excess supply (non-museum-quality) terminals, and decided that in this specific case, the deal made sense.
                                  >
                                  > Could I have negotiated harder? Perhaps. For example, recently I walked away from someone's offer of $3K for our 6501 chip + its manuals. That particular artifact is very special to us.

                                  > best to recover this kit when its usefulness to the film company has come to an end???
                                  >
                                  > That's a good idea. As I said, they plan to keep these long-term, but I will ask them about "right of first refusal" should they ever decide to let the terminals go.

                                • s100doctor
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 26, 2012

                                    > The one that somebody offered to us fell through. It was missing a bunch of keys. These need to look halfway decent on camera.

                                    Evan...do these keyboards need to WORK? People may have nonworking keyboards available, you know. If these are props for visual use, they don't have to work, or all of them work.

                                    I may have a bag of VT-100 keycaps around somewhere, if I do I'll ship them to you.

                                    Herb
                                  • techtalklive@ymail.com
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 26, 2012

                                      > Hi everyone -- as the subject line says -- MARCH has an urgent need for
                                      > four VT-100/101-style keyboards. We need these in the next week or so,
                                      > and we're willing to pay for them. If anyone can help, then please
                                      > contact me ** OFF-LIST ** and I will explain the situation.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks.

                                      I'm checking one source I have but its a long shot.