Pictures of the new Apple-1 Mimeo plexi case at MARCH

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
      Well it was time to retire the old Lexan case. It was glued together and was fragile enough to keep cracking at the glue points since it's now part of the MARCH traveling exhibit for shows.

      So a new case was in order, and I wanted to try a new single piece design, so I grabbed some 1/4" plexi from home depot and a blowtorch, then I went to task....

      So without further delay....

      http://www.myapplecomputer.net//MARCH/MARCH.html

      Cheers,
      Corey
    • Alexey Toptygin
      Message 2 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
        On Mon, 22 Oct 2012, corey986 wrote:

        > Well it was time to retire the old Lexan case. It was glued together and was fragile enough to keep cracking at the glue points since it's now part of the MARCH traveling exhibit for shows.
        >
        > So a new case was in order, and I wanted to try a new single piece design, so I grabbed some 1/4" plexi from home depot and a blowtorch, then I went to task....
        >
        > So without further delay....
        >
        > http://www.myapplecomputer.net//MARCH/MARCH.html

        That's a good look. The sides are pretty open though, I would worry about
        people's fingers wandering in.

        Alexey
        Message 3 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
          >> The sides are pretty open though, I would worry about people's fingers wandering in.

          It's roped off.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
            The MARCH museum isn't really hands on, actually I'm not sure if any of the vintage computer museum's are....

            So as Evan says it's roped off and we also need the extra ventilation. Mike Willegal and I figure this Apple-1 Mimeo sees more powered on time than any other Apple-1 board in the world (this includes all known Apple-1, Mimeo and Obtronix, not counting the replica-1 because it's not the same schematics by a long shot).

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
              On 10/22/2012 02:30 PM, corey986 wrote:
              > The MARCH museum isn't really hands on, actually I'm not sure if any
              > of the vintage computer museum's are....

              There are varying degrees of "hands on", and the MARCH museum seems
              far more so than most. I intend for mine to be yet more still.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                > Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Pictures of the new Apple-1 Mimeo
                plexi case at MARCH

                > On 10/22/2012 02:30 PM, corey986 wrote:
                > > The MARCH museum isn't really hands on, actually I'm not sure if any
                > > of the vintage computer museum's are....
                >
                > There are varying degrees of "hands on", and the MARCH museum seems
                > far more so than most. I intend for mine to be yet more still.
                >
                > -Dave

                If you're a known entity who has been in the group for many years then the
                micros are more or less available to use. On the other hand we guard our
                inventory from people who don't know what they're doing - common sense -
                many items are irreplaceable and can't be left to any-old numbskull who
                happens by the exhibit without an escort. We have talked about setting up
                a terminal for anyone to log into and use in each room, but I guess that
                never materialized.

                Message 7 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                  >> The MARCH museum isn't really hands on, actually I'm not sure if any of the vintage computer museum's are....

                  We're hands-on in the sense that we always turn on systems for public demos. A visitor to our museum, on a Sunday, is guaranteed to see * working * artifacts of computer history.

                  But sometimes there are more visitors than we can handle. Also, InfoAge is open Wed., Sat., and Sun; MARCH is only able to have staff there on Sunday. For those reasons (and to protect against the random bratty kid and/or irresponsible adult), we have ropes in front of the exhibits.
                  Message 8 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                    We'll be (more than now) interactive / hands-on when we get more space.

                    >> I intend for mine to be yet more still.

                    I maintain that a private collection in a private building is not a museum.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                      >> I guess that never materialized

                      It will. Just not a top priority.
                      Message 10 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                        On 10/22/2012 05:03 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                        > We'll be (more than now) interactive / hands-on when we get more space.

                        Awesomeness!

                        >>> I intend for mine to be yet more still.
                        >
                        > I maintain that a private collection in a private building is not a museum.

                        Of course it isn't. But you're aware of why I bought this building,
                        right?

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                        Message 11 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                          >> But you're aware of why I bought this building, right?

                          Yes, you told me: to store your vast collection of Cabbage Patch Kids.
                        • Dan Roganti
                          Message 12 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012

                            Corey,

                            That's a very sharp looking case, nice job !

                            I highly suggest the Paddle/Toggle switch used for power in the rear be changed to a Rocker switch.
                            They are prone to getting whacked during transport and even by behind the booth at the events - they're just cheap plastic. Rocker switches were more durable. Of course the metal bat handle toggle switches were too.

                            Dan

                            Message 13 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                              On 10/22/2012 05:14 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                              >>> But you're aware of why I bought this building, right?
                              >
                              > Yes, you told me: to store your vast collection of Cabbage Patch Kids.

                              Uh yeah, THOUSANDS of them! =)

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              Message 14 of 17 , Oct 22, 2012
                                >> Mike Willegal and I figure this Apple-1 Mimeo sees more powered on time than any other Apple-1 board in the world (this includes all known Apple-1, Mimeo and Obtronix

                                That's awesome.
                              • corey986
                                Message 15 of 17 , Oct 23, 2012
                                  Your probably right. I had a metal toggle switch on the old case but the tabs broke off. I guess I'll pickup a nice rocker switch with the same hole size and solder it in at some point.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Corey

                                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Oct 23, 2012
                                    corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:

                                    >--ZQfgr5QvSqXaEOqqh0R6npTeVoYFVxLNGiyOCdC Content-Type: text/plain;
                                    >charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
                                    >
                                    >Your probably right. I had a metal toggle switch on the old case but
                                    >the t= abs broke off. I guess I'll pickup a nice rocker switch with the
                                    >same hole= size and solder it in at some point.=20=20

                                    This thread as ensued for several days but I don't see the initial post with
                                    link to the image. Would somebody repost it?
                                  • Mike
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Oct 23, 2012
                                      That Mimeo gets more hours on it than the vast majority of replica 1s, too. Hopefully MARCH can begin to put some hours on a replica SCELBI, in the not too distant future. I hope to have a base PCB set made by the end of the year.

                                      Regards,
                                      Mike W.