To change or not to change? Re: NorthStar Horizon Woes

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 17, 2012
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Willegal <mike@...> wrote:

      > I'm all for using these computers, but if you have a pristine or very rare unit, any changes you make should be reversible. Collectors will always value these factory fresh units more than those that have been altered. Too much change, could significantly reduce value.

      I don't know if it's so important to be able to reverse the change as much as it's to document it. When I applied all the latest ECO's to my IMSAI, I didn't mind cutting traces and installing jumpers. When I built my Mark-8 Replica kit, I put away the original (dimm) LED's and replaced them with bright LED's because my enjoyment means more than an original (replica) system. I guess to each their own, but I believe toys are to be played with. I only hope I'll break even when I sell them one day.

      :) Josh
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 17, 2012
        > Anyway, I personally got into vintage computing to learn more about
        > electronics, and getting the systems to work is where I get the
        > satisfaction, not so much whether I trashed the case or replaced a part to
        > do it.

        I too get lots of satisfaction mastering and seeing these old beasts run. Part of it comes from trying to do the job while keeping it as original as possible. When I had to fix some broken keys on my OSI Superboard, I wouldn't know where to get replacement switches, so I had to open them up to the point where I could fix it. I made a nice write up on that with lots of pictures and posted on one of the OSI web sites for the next guy.

        Long live the Eureka Moment! When everything just starts to work again.

        :) Josh