Fw: An 80386 CPU S-100 Board

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
      Whoa... We don't do 386 but we definitely do S100. :)

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
        I've been waiting years for this. Picture the scene from Animal House where the freshman is trying to decide what to do with Dean Wormer's daughter passed out on his bed; Evan keeps looking at the little figures on each shoulder - the devil says 'this is a 386' then the angel says, 'but it's S100!' What to do?!!

        Jim

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
          > I've been waiting years for this. Picture the scene from Animal House
          > where the freshman is trying to decide what to do with Dean Wormer's
          > daughter passed out on his bed; Evan keeps looking at the little figures

          > on each shoulder - the devil says 'this is a 386' then the angel says,
          > 'but it's S100!' What to do?!!

          Not vintage.

          Just because you're using S-100 does not mean it's vintage. It's
          *possible* that in 1987 some S-100 company still around could have made a
          processor card with what would have been the cutting edge processor of the
          day, but it would not have been "vintage" 1987 stuff.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
            >> Just because you're using S-100 does not mean it's vintage.

            Thanks for not bringing up that debate, Bill. :)
          • m0ecrl@aol.com
            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
              vintage is anything before around 1985
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                >From: "m0ecrl@..." <m0ecrl@...>
                >vintage is anything before around 1985

                I feel like I am watching the Big Bang Theory where someone says something and everyone cringes because Sheldon is about to respond.
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                  >> I feel like I am watching the Big Bang Theory where someone says something and everyone cringes because Sheldon is about to respond.

                  Do you mean the topic overall, or am I Sheldon in this scenario?

                  New guy (m0ecrl): we've debated this topic for years with no resolution. Everyone has an opinion and none are necessarily right or wrong ... except mine, of course!! :)

                  The only thing we all agree to is that late-model DOS and almost anything Windows isn't our thing, and that arbitrary chronological lines also ain't right.

                  Nothing personal, but there's nothing anybody can add that we haven't debated on this topic already...

                  Vintage: we know it when we see it.

                • m0ecrl@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                    Unless of course I am GOD using this email, but i get your point
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                      >> Unless of course I am GOD using this email, but i get your point

                      No religion or politics here, either. And bottom-post.

                      Welcome....
                    • m0ecrl@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                        guess some people do not know a joke if it bit them unless of course they are an atheist, in that case this is not a club that deserves membership, am out of here
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                          On 10/17/2012 08:22 PM, m0ecrl@... wrote:
                          > guess some people do not know a joke if it bit them unless of course
                          > they are an atheist, in that case this is not a club that deserves
                          > membership, am out of here

                          *plonk*

                          --
                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                            >> guess some people do not know a joke if it bit them unless of course they are an atheist, in that caseĀ this is not a club that deserves membership, am out of hereĀ

                            Must be a troll. Bye bye
                          • Bryan Pope
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                              Dude! The 80386 came out in *1985*. It ran at a blistering 12Mhz to
                              40Mhz. It is pretty cool because it gave us the 32 bit flat memory model.

                              The 65c816 (which is a 16 bit processor and has a 24 bit data bus) came
                              out in 1984. It can reach speeds of up to 20Mhz (maybe higher?) and is
                              still in use today.

                              Now are you going to not allow the Apple IIgs?

                              One day you really need to lose the hatred towards all things
                              Intel/DOS/Windows. Saying they are not part of your "history" does not
                              make them go away.

                              Cheers,

                              Bryan

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                >> *plonk*

                                That member is banned. I looked at his profile -- it's listed as a 26-year-old female going by "Lil Bo Peep". Not legit.
                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                  >> One day you really need to lose the hatred towards all things
                                  Intel/DOS/Windows.

                                  I don't hate those things I just don't want this becoming an "old PC" club.

                                  Maybe we could banish you to Canada ... Oh, wait. :)
                                • Bryan Pope
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                    On 10/17/2012 8:42 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                    >>> One day you really need to lose the hatred towards all things
                                    > Intel/DOS/Windows.
                                    >
                                    > I don't hate those things I just don't want this becoming an "old PC" club.
                                    >
                                    > Maybe we could banish you to Canada ... Oh, wait. :)

                                    Have you ever thought that allowing that *won't* cause you to become an
                                    "old PC" club, but it would just make up a small percentage? As time
                                    moves on, change must happen, even for museums.

                                    and

                                    HA.

                                    Cheers,

                                    Bryan
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                      > >> Just because you're using S-100 does not mean it's vintage.
                                      >
                                      > Thanks for not bringing up that debate, Bill. :)

                                      I have banned myself, then unbanned myself. I feel better now.

                                      Bill
                                    • joshbensadon
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012

                                        > Whoa... We don't do 386 but we definitely do S100. :)

                                        I bought one of Andrew's S100 8088 CPU boards, should make for a fun project some day. I also bought Andrew's S100 Prototyping board, great board for making stuff. I'm sadly underusing it as a RAM/ROM board at the moment.

                                        :) Josh
                                      • joshbensadon
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012

                                          > >> One day you really need to lose the hatred towards all things
                                          > Intel/DOS/Windows.
                                          >
                                          > I don't hate those things I just don't want this becoming an "old PC" club.
                                          >
                                          > Maybe we could banish you to Canada ... Oh, wait. :)

                                          Hey, no bashing on Canada eh! Or I'll have to run next door and tell the Prime Minister :)

                                          :) Josh
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                            >> Intel/DOS/Windows.
                                            >>
                                            >> I don't hate those things I just don't want this becoming an "old PC" club.
                                            >>
                                            >> Maybe we could banish you to Canada ... Oh, wait. :)
                                            >
                                            > Hey, no bashing on Canada eh! Or I'll have to run next door and tell the Prime Minister :)

                                            Just teasing Bryan, who's up your way.

                                            Please don't send the Royal Kilted Yaksmen after me.

                                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxg0JfBU2n4
                                          • joshbensadon
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012

                                              > >> Maybe we could banish you to Canada ... Oh, wait. :)
                                              > >
                                              > > Hey, no bashing on Canada eh! Or I'll have to run next door and tell the Prime Minister :)
                                              >
                                              > Just teasing Bryan, who's up your way.
                                              >
                                              > Please don't send the Royal Kilted Yaksmen after me.

                                              Ok, so there's a good reason why we have the worlds largest undefended border... no one wants to come here!

                                              Of course I know Bryan, he's the Prime Ministers other neighbor!

                                              But seriously, where's Bryan from?

                                              :) Josh
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Oct 17, 2012
                                                >>> Hey, no bashing on Canada eh! Or I'll have to run next door and tell the Prime Minister :)
                                                >> Just teasing Bryan, who's up your way.
                                                >>
                                                >> Please don't send the Royal Kilted Yaksmen after me.
                                                > Ok, so there's a good reason why we have the worlds largest undefended border... no one wants to come here!
                                                >
                                                > Of course I know Bryan, he's the Prime Ministers other neighbor!
                                                >
                                                > But seriously, where's Bryan from?

                                                His profile on Facebook says Ingersoll, Ontario. Hopefully he'll see
                                                this message and reply.
                                              • Bryan Pope
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Oct 18, 2012
                                                  On 10/17/2012 11:07 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                                                  >>> Just teasing Bryan, who's up your way.
                                                  >>>
                                                  >>> Please don't send the Royal Kilted Yaksmen after me.
                                                  >> Ok, so there's a good reason why we have the worlds largest undefended border... no one wants to come here!
                                                  >>
                                                  >> Of course I know Bryan, he's the Prime Ministers other neighbor!
                                                  >>
                                                  >> But seriously, where's Bryan from?
                                                  > His profile on Facebook says Ingersoll, Ontario. Hopefully he'll see
                                                  > this message and reply.

                                                  Yes that is true. And we have *two* exits on the 401!

                                                  Cheers,

                                                  Bryan