re: [midatlanticretro] Museum Report 10/14/2012

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 16, 2012

      > It was a slow day at the museum on Sunday. No real visitors.

      Just imaginary visitors. Hello Mr. and Mrs. Lincoln...Yes these sure are new-fangled gizmos Mr President...

      > I photographed the insides of the MARCH PET so that I can find out which type of motherboard it is. My hope is that I can take the
      > MARCH PET to Bill Degnan's workshop and at least figure out what the problem is. At most I would hope to get help from others to
      > fix what is wrong. I will see if any of my PETs match the MARCH one and bring that along to have a comparison.

      I have a complete service manual for the 2001 PET you can use. Do you have a working PET?

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 16, 2012
        >> I have a complete service manual for the 2001 PET you can use.

        Woohoo!

        My hunch is there's a screen problem, not a problem with the computer itself. When the video first went blank, there was the odor of something burning, I'm told. Maybe as simple as a cap in the monitor. So chasing down bugs among the motherboard might be a waste of time. I'd prefer swapping in a known-good screen, and/or swapping our screen into a known-good identical version of the 2001, and * then * start chasing the problem.