PDP-11T03 and things

  • William Donzelli
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
      While you ladies were arranging your doilies, I went to the woman's
      house in Rockland county to pull the first of the PDP-11T03 lot.
      Earlier, I stopped by to survey the situation, but today, I started
      work there.

      The PDP-11T03 is a twin RL system, with either a PDP-11/03 or
      PDP-11/23. There is an LA36 DECwriter II with it, as well as 20-some
      RL carts in a cabinet and quite a lot of documentation, and even a
      little software on paper tape and unused LA36 ribbons. The system is
      in a fairly nice rack, about 4 feet tall, and rolls nicely. Of this
      lot, I grabbed the paper - the hardware will be taken in the next
      trip.

      The other item is an IBM 029, in reasonably good shape. It is,
      however, stuffed in a crawlspace with little room, and will be a bear
      to remove. There are quite a few punched cards with the thing, but a
      lot of it is data or software, and some of the cards are warped.
      Still, I estimate there are at least a few complete boxes of pristine
      cards, once everything is sorted out. There are a few nice card trays
      as well, Of this lot, I grabbed the cards and the trays.

      There were a few little extras - some cables, Inmac switchboxes,
      Selectric ribbons, punch card trays, and other minor things. Most of
      these I took today as well.

      I can store these items until I bring the pile down to Infoage. Some
      stuff will get trashed, namely the damaged or used cards. Her request
      is that the used cards get recycled, and the RL packs with the data
      wiped clean. Obviously, the cards I can trash right here, but the
      packs will need to be handled when the PDP-11 gets situated down at
      Infoage. This will likely not be hard, as the machine will probably
      come right back to life with little to no effort.

      So, of the remainder, what should be done? Does MARCH want a bunch of
      AB switchboxes? Miscellaneous cables of dubious utility? For that
      matter, does MARCH even want the 029? It appears to be in about the
      same shape as the one Mike fixed up, although the Rockland one is in
      unknown operating condition (certainly will need at least a tuneup).

      --
      Will
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 12, 2012
        >> While you ladies were arranging your doilies, I went to the woman's
        house in Rockland county to pull the first of the PDP-11T03 lot. Earlier, I stopped by to survey the situation, but today, I started
        work there.

        Will, thank you very, very much for handling this on our behalf.

        I will send you a private email with my responses to your questions.
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 16, 2012
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, William Donzelli <wdonzelli@...> wrote:

          > While you ladies were arranging your doilies, I went to the woman's
          > house in Rockland county to pull the first of the PDP-11T03 lot.
          > Earlier, I stopped by to survey the situation, but today, I started
          > work there.
          >
          > The PDP-11T03 is a twin RL system, with either a PDP-11/03 or
          > PDP-11/23. There is an LA36 DECwriter II with it, as well as 20-some
          > RL carts in a cabinet and quite a lot of documentation, and even a
          > little software on paper tape and unused LA36 ribbons.....

          > So, of the remainder, what should be done?

          I don't know about MARCH, but I have two RL01 drives, but only one RL01 cart, on an 11/34 system. Will, I know you have some RL02 cartridges, but you know those won't work with the RL01 drive (unless you know someone with a reformatter rigged up). Maybe there's a three-way deal between you and MARCH and I for a couple of RL01's traded for some RL02's....? Or is that 11/23 using RL02s?

          Herb
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 16, 2012
            >> Maybe there's a three-way deal between you and MARCH and I for a couple of RL01's traded for some RL02's....?

            I defer to Degnan's judgment for this.

            Will/Herb -- if we're talking a deal, then we should take this off-list.
          • William Donzelli
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 16, 2012
              > Will/Herb -- if we're talking a deal, then we should take this off-list.

              So far, I am just moving the stuff. How it gets divided is up to higher powers.

              Aaaand...we are not getting as many unused cards as I thought. The
              owner's children were told of the big cleanup, and they want some of
              their father's cards. So, I agreed to give back some boxes of cards
              when I go back for the big pick up. Easy come, easy go.

              --
              Will
            • William Donzelli
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 16, 2012
                > Or is that
                > 11/23 using RL02s?

                I did not actually check if they are RL01s or RL02s.

                --
                Will
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 17, 2012
                  > >> Maybe there's a three-way deal between you and MARCH and I for a
                  couple of RL01's traded for some RL02's....?

                  > I defer to Degnan's judgment for this.
                  >
                  > Will/Herb -- if we're talking a deal, then we should take this off-list.

                  I must have missed the original email of this thread, what?