Re: [midatlanticretro] C64 Help

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 31 , Oct 11, 2012
      The 1702 expects the Luma and Chroma to be separate.. The back has 3
      RCA jacks to accept this. Make sure you set the switch in front that is
      behind a small panel on the bottom to "back".

      If you are only getting a black and white picture, maybe the chroma part
      of the wire has a break in it?

      Cheers,

      Bryan

      On 10/11/2012 8:54 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
      > I'm trying to get my C64 to output colour on my 1702 Monitor.
      >
      > Searched the web, but can't find the exact answers.
      >
      > The C64 outputs Video, Luminance, Chrominance and Audio through the 8 or 5 pin DIN connector.
      >
      > I am guessing that I have the wrong cable or wrong monitor.
      >
      > I suspect the 1702 Monitor was mainly used with the VIC-20 which didn't supply seperate Luminance/Chroma signals. The cable I have expects the monitor to receive these signals seperately but the 1702 accepts them together in the NTSC format.
      >
      > I guess they can just be combined using a resistor network, anyone have suggested values I should use?

    • Bill Dromgoole
      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 18, 2012

        > Here's a transistor with 430 on it. Would that make it 1964, week 30?
        > Transistor part number is 2N1218. Or does the 430 refer to the factory the
        > transistor was made? or other?
        >
        > Photo of transistor posted in the photos/Josh Bensadon folder of this group.
        >
        > I've seen some IC's with only a 3 digit code on them (not part of this analog
        > computer). Case in point is the following:
        >
        > CD4023BE
        > RCA H 650
        >
        > Is that to mean 1976 week 50?
        > H being the factory where it was made?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Josh
        > ------------------------------------

        Yes, In my opinion you are correct.
        In the early years of semiconductors most parts have three digit date codes.
        You have to know the approximate decade the part was first produced to get the
        correct date.

        Sometimes you have trouble telling the part number apart from the date code.
        In the 1970s a lot of the 7400 series ic's had date codes like 7414 and a part
        number like 7404.
        I was always having trouble with those.

        A good history of early transitor marking can be found here.
        http://transistorhistory.50webs.com/index.html

        billdrom