Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC PDP 11 and DSD 880

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
      On 10/05/2012 12:30 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
      > So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:
      >
      > 1. The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.
      >
      > 2. I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout
      > error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status
      > of the floppy drive, nor do I.

      Have you checked for a shipping lock?

      > 3. In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester
      > Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same
      > symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the
      > motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

      Ahh ok, so no spindle lock at least. Check for a shipping lock on the
      head carriage. BUT...be very careful rotating the spindle by hand! In
      some drive designs, turning it backward can cause the head to dig into
      the media.

      > I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure
      > for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and
      > lots of dissemble needed.

      I think you're going to end up needing to disassemble it anyway.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ