Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: OT: Great news about TIROS satellite dish

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
      >>> This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

      >> Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?
      > Umm...That dish is sixty feet (!) in diameter. One doesn't just "get
      > it unstuck".

      Right.

      Josh: Our museum is co-located at the InfoAge Science Center, which is a
      100-year-old campus. It was originally a Marconi wireless telegraph
      station. Then it was a Navy/RCA communications lab during WW1. It was in
      private hands between the wars. From WW2 until the 1990s it was an Army
      Signal Corps electronics research lab. During the 1960s one of the
      sub-labs on campus was for astronomy. See here:
      http://www.campevans.org/_CE/html/tiros1-2.html .... when the Army left
      that section about 10 years ago they made the dish inoperable .... or so
      we thought! But after much hard work, InfoAge volunteers figured out how
      to restore the dish. Fred (InfoAge founder/director) said a while ago
      that there's a group from Princeton U. which has expertise in this topic
      and which may want to make the dish itself function again, not just move
      around.

      The dish was professional painted a few years ago, thanks to a grant
      from its manufacturer. InfoAge also fixed the "Signal Corps" lettering
      on the side.

      Originally there were two dishes side-by-side. Nobody really knows what
      happened to the second one.

      I've been inside the dish. It's pretty cool in there.
    • m0ecrl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
        out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
          >> out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics

          I don't know. I can find out.