Re: OT: Great news about TIROS satellite dish

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012

      > This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

      > moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
      > that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
      > is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
      > and "how."

      Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?

      Cheers,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/05/2012 11:01 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

        >> moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
        >> that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
        >> is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
        >> and "how."
        >
        > Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?

        Umm...That dish is sixty feet (!) in diameter. One doesn't just "get
        it unstuck".

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Neil Cherry
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
          On 10/05/2012 11:01 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Evan
          > Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

          > > moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
          > > that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
          > > is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
          > > and "how."
          >
          > Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it
          > stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but
          > seriously, how stuck can something get?

          1960's NASA antenna (as Dave said 60 ft) ... can we the Playboy channel
          on that thing ? (yes just joking).

          This is very cool!

          http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
          http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
            >>> This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

            >> Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?
            > Umm...That dish is sixty feet (!) in diameter. One doesn't just "get
            > it unstuck".

            Right.

            Josh: Our museum is co-located at the InfoAge Science Center, which is a
            100-year-old campus. It was originally a Marconi wireless telegraph
            station. Then it was a Navy/RCA communications lab during WW1. It was in
            private hands between the wars. From WW2 until the 1990s it was an Army
            Signal Corps electronics research lab. During the 1960s one of the
            sub-labs on campus was for astronomy. See here:
            http://www.campevans.org/_CE/html/tiros1-2.html .... when the Army left
            that section about 10 years ago they made the dish inoperable .... or so
            we thought! But after much hard work, InfoAge volunteers figured out how
            to restore the dish. Fred (InfoAge founder/director) said a while ago
            that there's a group from Princeton U. which has expertise in this topic
            and which may want to make the dish itself function again, not just move
            around.

            The dish was professional painted a few years ago, thanks to a grant
            from its manufacturer. InfoAge also fixed the "Signal Corps" lettering
            on the side.

            Originally there were two dishes side-by-side. Nobody really knows what
            happened to the second one.

            I've been inside the dish. It's pretty cool in there.
          • m0ecrl@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
              out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
                >> out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics

                I don't know. I can find out.