OT: Great news about TIROS satellite dish

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
      This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

      >>> The team has succeeded in freeing the elevation drive from its
      moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
      that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
      is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
      and "how."
    • Matt Patoray
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
        Evan,

        That is awesome news!!

        Sent from my iPhone
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
          On 10/05/2012 08:02 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
          > This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

          > moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
          > that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
          > is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
          > and "how."

          SuhWEEEET!

          --
          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012

            > This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

            > moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
            > that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
            > is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
            > and "how."

            Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?

            Cheers,
            Josh
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
              On 10/05/2012 11:01 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
              >>
              >> This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

              >> moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
              >> that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
              >> is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
              >> and "how."
              >
              > Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?

              Umm...That dish is sixty feet (!) in diameter. One doesn't just "get
              it unstuck".

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • Neil Cherry
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
                On 10/05/2012 11:01 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Evan
                > Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

                > > moorings today. The REALLY good news is that once they succeeded at
                > > that, they were able to move the dish in elevation by a small amount. It
                > > is not longer a question of "if" the dish will work, but rather "when"
                > > and "how."
                >
                > Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it
                > stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but
                > seriously, how stuck can something get?

                1960's NASA antenna (as Dave said 60 ft) ... can we the Playboy channel
                on that thing ? (yes just joking).

                This is very cool!

                http://www.linuxha.com/ Main site
                http://linuxha.blogspot.com/ My HA Blog
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 5, 2012
                  >>> This just in from OMARC, regarding the giant TIROS dish at InfoAge:

                  >> Umm, Please excuse my ignorance. I don't get it? How big is this dish and why was it stuck? Couldn't a little WD-40 do the trick? Ok, the WD-40 is more of a joke, but seriously, how stuck can something get?
                  > Umm...That dish is sixty feet (!) in diameter. One doesn't just "get
                  > it unstuck".

                  Right.

                  Josh: Our museum is co-located at the InfoAge Science Center, which is a
                  100-year-old campus. It was originally a Marconi wireless telegraph
                  station. Then it was a Navy/RCA communications lab during WW1. It was in
                  private hands between the wars. From WW2 until the 1990s it was an Army
                  Signal Corps electronics research lab. During the 1960s one of the
                  sub-labs on campus was for astronomy. See here:
                  http://www.campevans.org/_CE/html/tiros1-2.html .... when the Army left
                  that section about 10 years ago they made the dish inoperable .... or so
                  we thought! But after much hard work, InfoAge volunteers figured out how
                  to restore the dish. Fred (InfoAge founder/director) said a while ago
                  that there's a group from Princeton U. which has expertise in this topic
                  and which may want to make the dish itself function again, not just move
                  around.

                  The dish was professional painted a few years ago, thanks to a grant
                  from its manufacturer. InfoAge also fixed the "Signal Corps" lettering
                  on the side.

                  Originally there were two dishes side-by-side. Nobody really knows what
                  happened to the second one.

                  I've been inside the dish. It's pretty cool in there.
                • m0ecrl@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
                    out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 6, 2012
                      >> out of curiosity does the elevation drive use electronics, pneumatics, or hydraulics

                      I don't know. I can find out.