RE: [midatlanticretro] DEC PDP 11 and DSD 880

  • Aliaga, Daniel G
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

      DEC PDP 8 and 11

      Heathkit H89

      Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)

      TRS 80 Model I

      Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.

      IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2

      Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.

      Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…

      Software, manuals, etc…

      You?

      D.

      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
        On 10/05/2012 12:35 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
        > DEC PDP 8 and 11

        Nice, which models? (we know about the 11/23)

        > Heathkit H89

        Do you know of the SEBHC mailing list?

        > Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)
        > TRS 80 Model I
        > Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.
        > IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2
        > Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.
        > Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…
        > Software, manuals, etc…

        Excellent!

        > You?

        Hooboy. ;) I'm sure I've forgotten a few (this is a big place), but:

        Old systems considered part of the "collection" for preservation and study:
        -----------------
        Cray YMP-EL94 (runnable)
        Cray YMP-EL98 (2x)
        Cray J916 8/128 (runnable)
        Cray J916 4/128 (not yet runnable)

        DEC DECsystem-2020 (PDP-10) (2x)
        DEC PDP-8/e (three, two runnable)
        DEC PDP-8/m (runnable)
        DEC PDP-8/a
        Spare Time Gizmos SBC6120 (tiny PDP-8 SBC)
        DEC PDP-11/03 (many, some runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/04 (two, one runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/05
        DEC PDP-11/23 (several, some runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/24 (runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/34a (2x, one runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/44 (4x)
        DEC PDP-11/50
        DEC PDP-11/53 (2x, runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/70 (runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/73 (several, some runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/83 (runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/84 (3x, one runnable)
        DEC PDP-11/94 (not runnable)
        DEC VT180 "Robin" (not running, need floppy cable)
        DEC VAX-11/730
        DEC VAX-11/750
        DEC MicroVAX-I
        DEC MicroVAX-II/VAXstation-II (many in various states)
        DEC MicroVAX-2000 (several in various states)
        DEC MicroVAX-3 (several in various states)
        DEC MicroVAX/VAXstation 3100 (countless, in various states)
        DEC MicroVAX-3100/80
        DEC VAXstation4000-VLC (2x, runnable)
        DEC VAXstation4000-60 (2x, runnable)
        DEC VAXstation4000-90 (2x, runnable)
        DEC VAX4000-300 (two, runnable)
        DEC VAX4000-400 (2x, runnable)
        DEC VAX4000-500 (runnable)
        DEC VAX4000-600 (runnable)
        DEC VAX4000-700a (2x, runnable)
        DEC VAX7000-720 (runnable)
        DEC VAX8250 (runnable)
        DEC rtVAX-300 on 6U VME module
        DEC DECmate-I
        DEC DECmate-II
        DEC DECmate-III+
        DEC Professional 350
        DEC Professional 380
        DEC DECstation-2100
        DEC DECstation-3100 (several)
        TONS AND TONS (literally) of VAX & PDP parts, enough to build dozens of
        systems
        one or two older Alpha 3000-series machines
        Many others...been into DEC for a LONG time, got my first PDP 30yrs ago.

        The standard complement of Commodore, Atari, and Apple machines

        Floating Point Systems AP-180V (VAX-interfaced version of AP-120)

        IBM RT (tower chassis, runnable)
        IBM RT (desktop chassis, runnable)
        IBM RS/6000s (several, various models, some old, some not)
        IMSAI 8080 (runnable)
        SWTPC 6800 (3rd-party chassis)
        TRS-80 models I, II, III, 4, 16, CoCo, CoCo2, MC-10
        HP-85
        HP-87XM
        HP-2108A

        Kaypro-II
        Kaypro-10
        Kaypro-16
        Osborne 1 (2x)
        Osborne Vixen
        Commodore PET 2001 (non-Chiclet)
        Heathkit H-8
        Heathkit H-89 (3x)
        NEC APC
        Olivetti M20
        Burroughs B80 (2x)
        Data General S/280
        IBM S/370 model 9375
        IBM System/36 model 5360
        Heath H-1 analog computer (tubes!)
        Comdyna GP-6 analog computer
        Symbolics 3640 Lisp Machine (not running)
        Symbolics 3645 Lisp Machine (not running)
        Symbolics XL1201 Lisp Machine (running)

        SGI Origin 2000 (dual-chassis, rack config)
        SGI O2 (3x)

        Several Sun 2/170 board sets (no chassis anymore, sigh)
        Several Sun 3/1xx, 3/2xx, and 4/xxx systems
        Many Sun SPARCstation-1/-1+/-2/-IPC/-IPX/-LX/-Classic/-5/-10/-20 systems
        No-name Transputer array, 16x T800 transputers w/ISA interface

        Lots of single-board computers, processor eval & development boards for:
        - Am2901
        - 8085
        - 8086
        - Z80 (3x, my homebrew)
        - 6800
        - 68HC05
        - 68HC11
        - 6502

        ASR-33 Teletype
        Friden Flexowriter SPS

        Countless peripherals...disk and tape drives, printers, terminals..

        -------------------------------

        Production systems
        (how I put dinner on the table)
        -------------------------------
        Core i7-Quad desktop running Linux (primary desktop system)
        Lenovo V570 laptop, Core i5 running Linux
        Sun Fire V480 (4x US-III+ CPUs, 32GB, does all the heavy lifting)
        Sun T1000
        Sun Netra V100 (DNS, firewall)
        HP DL585 quad dual-core Opteron (VMware host)
        RS/6000 397, hosting a P/390 running OS/390 and VM/ESA (software
        development)

        Non-production systems
        (modern or nearly so, but not currently involved in making a living)
        -----------------------------------
        Cray SV1
        IBM z/890
        SGI Origin 3000
        About six large Sun FirePlane-based systems (SF3800, SF4800, SF6800)
        AlphaServer DS10L, VMS

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
          On 10/05/2012 12:30 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
          > So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:
          >
          > 1. The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.
          >
          > 2. I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout
          > error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status
          > of the floppy drive, nor do I.

          Have you checked for a shipping lock?

          > 3. In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester
          > Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same
          > symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the
          > motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

          Ahh ok, so no spindle lock at least. Check for a shipping lock on the
          head carriage. BUT...be very careful rotating the spindle by hand! In
          some drive designs, turning it backward can cause the head to dig into
          the media.

          > I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure
          > for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and
          > lots of dissemble needed.

          I think you're going to end up needing to disassemble it anyway.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ