Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC PDP 11 and DSD 880

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
      On 10/04/2012 11:14 PM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
      > Here you go:
      >

      > ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dsd/040034-01_DSD880x_Nov81.pdf

      And of course, the darned thing has been sitting on one of my own damn
      disk arrays for months. ;) (I have a bitsavers mirror here)

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
        On 10/04/2012 11:13 PM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
        > I am a vintage aficionado as you guys J. Have about ~50 computers in my
        > collection, all worked when placed in collection and some I use for
        > demos. Have a dedicated room in th e house. Have 70s and 80s computers
        > (mostly 80s).

        Cool. Welcome! What sort of machines do you have, aside from that
        PDP-11?

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Aliaga, Daniel G
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

          So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:

          1.       The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.

          2.       I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status of the floppy drive, nor do I.

          3.       In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

          Somehow I don’t think ‘3’ is strictly shipping related, maybe bad luck?

          I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and lots of dissemble needed.

          Any other suggestions that are less invasive? I see the motor has a ground line (but colored red) and then come cables going in/out (about 3 or 4).

          ??

          Does someone have a spare motor for this? With effort I might be able to make out the brand + model…

          D.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

            DEC PDP 8 and 11

            Heathkit H89

            Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)

            TRS 80 Model I

            Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.

            IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2

            Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.

            Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…

            Software, manuals, etc…

            You?

            D.

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
              On 10/05/2012 12:35 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
              > DEC PDP 8 and 11

              Nice, which models? (we know about the 11/23)

              > Heathkit H89

              Do you know of the SEBHC mailing list?

              > Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)
              > TRS 80 Model I
              > Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.
              > IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2
              > Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.
              > Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…
              > Software, manuals, etc…

              Excellent!

              > You?

              Hooboy. ;) I'm sure I've forgotten a few (this is a big place), but:

              Old systems considered part of the "collection" for preservation and study:
              -----------------
              Cray YMP-EL94 (runnable)
              Cray YMP-EL98 (2x)
              Cray J916 8/128 (runnable)
              Cray J916 4/128 (not yet runnable)

              DEC DECsystem-2020 (PDP-10) (2x)
              DEC PDP-8/e (three, two runnable)
              DEC PDP-8/m (runnable)
              DEC PDP-8/a
              Spare Time Gizmos SBC6120 (tiny PDP-8 SBC)
              DEC PDP-11/03 (many, some runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/04 (two, one runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/05
              DEC PDP-11/23 (several, some runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/24 (runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/34a (2x, one runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/44 (4x)
              DEC PDP-11/50
              DEC PDP-11/53 (2x, runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/70 (runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/73 (several, some runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/83 (runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/84 (3x, one runnable)
              DEC PDP-11/94 (not runnable)
              DEC VT180 "Robin" (not running, need floppy cable)
              DEC VAX-11/730
              DEC VAX-11/750
              DEC MicroVAX-I
              DEC MicroVAX-II/VAXstation-II (many in various states)
              DEC MicroVAX-2000 (several in various states)
              DEC MicroVAX-3 (several in various states)
              DEC MicroVAX/VAXstation 3100 (countless, in various states)
              DEC MicroVAX-3100/80
              DEC VAXstation4000-VLC (2x, runnable)
              DEC VAXstation4000-60 (2x, runnable)
              DEC VAXstation4000-90 (2x, runnable)
              DEC VAX4000-300 (two, runnable)
              DEC VAX4000-400 (2x, runnable)
              DEC VAX4000-500 (runnable)
              DEC VAX4000-600 (runnable)
              DEC VAX4000-700a (2x, runnable)
              DEC VAX7000-720 (runnable)
              DEC VAX8250 (runnable)
              DEC rtVAX-300 on 6U VME module
              DEC DECmate-I
              DEC DECmate-II
              DEC DECmate-III+
              DEC Professional 350
              DEC Professional 380
              DEC DECstation-2100
              DEC DECstation-3100 (several)
              TONS AND TONS (literally) of VAX & PDP parts, enough to build dozens of
              systems
              one or two older Alpha 3000-series machines
              Many others...been into DEC for a LONG time, got my first PDP 30yrs ago.

              The standard complement of Commodore, Atari, and Apple machines

              Floating Point Systems AP-180V (VAX-interfaced version of AP-120)

              IBM RT (tower chassis, runnable)
              IBM RT (desktop chassis, runnable)
              IBM RS/6000s (several, various models, some old, some not)
              IMSAI 8080 (runnable)
              SWTPC 6800 (3rd-party chassis)
              TRS-80 models I, II, III, 4, 16, CoCo, CoCo2, MC-10
              HP-85
              HP-87XM
              HP-2108A

              Kaypro-II
              Kaypro-10
              Kaypro-16
              Osborne 1 (2x)
              Osborne Vixen
              Commodore PET 2001 (non-Chiclet)
              Heathkit H-8
              Heathkit H-89 (3x)
              NEC APC
              Olivetti M20
              Burroughs B80 (2x)
              Data General S/280
              IBM S/370 model 9375
              IBM System/36 model 5360
              Heath H-1 analog computer (tubes!)
              Comdyna GP-6 analog computer
              Symbolics 3640 Lisp Machine (not running)
              Symbolics 3645 Lisp Machine (not running)
              Symbolics XL1201 Lisp Machine (running)

              SGI Origin 2000 (dual-chassis, rack config)
              SGI O2 (3x)

              Several Sun 2/170 board sets (no chassis anymore, sigh)
              Several Sun 3/1xx, 3/2xx, and 4/xxx systems
              Many Sun SPARCstation-1/-1+/-2/-IPC/-IPX/-LX/-Classic/-5/-10/-20 systems
              No-name Transputer array, 16x T800 transputers w/ISA interface

              Lots of single-board computers, processor eval & development boards for:
              - Am2901
              - 8085
              - 8086
              - Z80 (3x, my homebrew)
              - 6800
              - 68HC05
              - 68HC11
              - 6502

              ASR-33 Teletype
              Friden Flexowriter SPS

              Countless peripherals...disk and tape drives, printers, terminals..

              -------------------------------

              Production systems
              (how I put dinner on the table)
              -------------------------------
              Core i7-Quad desktop running Linux (primary desktop system)
              Lenovo V570 laptop, Core i5 running Linux
              Sun Fire V480 (4x US-III+ CPUs, 32GB, does all the heavy lifting)
              Sun T1000
              Sun Netra V100 (DNS, firewall)
              HP DL585 quad dual-core Opteron (VMware host)
              RS/6000 397, hosting a P/390 running OS/390 and VM/ESA (software
              development)

              Non-production systems
              (modern or nearly so, but not currently involved in making a living)
              -----------------------------------
              Cray SV1
              IBM z/890
              SGI Origin 3000
              About six large Sun FirePlane-based systems (SF3800, SF4800, SF6800)
              AlphaServer DS10L, VMS

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                On 10/05/2012 12:30 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
                > So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:
                >
                > 1. The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.
                >
                > 2. I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout
                > error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status
                > of the floppy drive, nor do I.

                Have you checked for a shipping lock?

                > 3. In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester
                > Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same
                > symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the
                > motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

                Ahh ok, so no spindle lock at least. Check for a shipping lock on the
                head carriage. BUT...be very careful rotating the spindle by hand! In
                some drive designs, turning it backward can cause the head to dig into
                the media.

                > I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure
                > for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and
                > lots of dissemble needed.

                I think you're going to end up needing to disassemble it anyway.

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ