Re: [midatlanticretro] DEC PDP 11 and DSD 880

    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
      On 10/04/2012 10:10 PM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:

      > I have all the original manuals-- they are online too.

      Oh really?? The last time I looked around (at Bitsavers first) I
      found nothing.

      I guess, wow, that was probably 7-8 years ago though. 8-/

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
        On 10/04/2012 10:16 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        >>> I have a recently acquired DEC PDP 1123 with DSD 880 (fixed drive + floppy drive)
        >
        > Dan,
        >
        > Welcome to our list. Please introduce yourself.
        >
        > Also, we prefer bottom replies.
        >
        > - Evan K. / list benign dictator

        (translation: EVAN prefers bottom replies ;))

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        New Kensington, PA
      • Aliaga, Daniel G
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

          Ok J

          I am a vintage aficionado as you guys J. Have about ~50 computers in my collection, all worked when placed in collection and some I use for demos. Have a dedicated room in the house. Have 70s and 80s computers (mostly 80s).

          I just got this DEC PDP – private sale, seems to be extremely well taken care of but something happened during shipping (maybe)? Was packed by UPS and they seemed to do a great job.

          One of the connectors inside the DSD unit was disconnected during shipping – does that mean it got jostled strongly? The connector is quite snug when connected, so I would assume it was kinda loose, because to loosen it with a “drop” it would have to been dropped from quite a height…

          Still trying several options.

          Yes, spindle and head were locked, both unlocked now I believe (using the instructions from the manual…).

          I live in West Lafayette – go Boilermakers!

          D.

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

            Here you go:

            ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dsd/040034-01_DSD880x_Nov81.pdf

            D.

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
              On 10/04/2012 11:14 PM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
              > Here you go:
              >

              > ftp://bitsavers.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/pdf/dsd/040034-01_DSD880x_Nov81.pdf

              And of course, the darned thing has been sitting on one of my own damn
              disk arrays for months. ;) (I have a bitsavers mirror here)

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012
                On 10/04/2012 11:13 PM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
                > I am a vintage aficionado as you guys J. Have about ~50 computers in my
                > collection, all worked when placed in collection and some I use for
                > demos. Have a dedicated room in th e house. Have 70s and 80s computers
                > (mostly 80s).

                Cool. Welcome! What sort of machines do you have, aside from that
                PDP-11?

                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                New Kensington, PA
              • Aliaga, Daniel G
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

                  So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:

                  1.       The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.

                  2.       I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status of the floppy drive, nor do I.

                  3.       In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

                  Somehow I don’t think ‘3’ is strictly shipping related, maybe bad luck?

                  I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and lots of dissemble needed.

                  Any other suggestions that are less invasive? I see the motor has a ground line (but colored red) and then come cables going in/out (about 3 or 4).

                  ??

                  Does someone have a spare motor for this? With effort I might be able to make out the brand + model…

                  D.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 4, 2012

                    DEC PDP 8 and 11

                    Heathkit H89

                    Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)

                    TRS 80 Model I

                    Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.

                    IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2

                    Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.

                    Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…

                    Software, manuals, etc…

                    You?

                    D.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                      On 10/05/2012 12:35 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
                      > DEC PDP 8 and 11

                      Nice, which models? (we know about the 11/23)

                      > Heathkit H89

                      Do you know of the SEBHC mailing list?

                      > Commodore/CBMs (e.g., PET 2001, etc)
                      > TRS 80 Model I
                      > Apple IIs, Apple III, Mac’s, etc.
                      > IBMs: 5150, XT, PCJr, PS/2
                      > Luggables: Compaq I, IBM’s, Kaypros, Osborne, etc.
                      > Home PCs: Atari’s, Commodore 64 and others, Timex, TI, Radio Shacks…
                      > Software, manuals, etc…

                      Excellent!

                      > You?

                      Hooboy. ;) I'm sure I've forgotten a few (this is a big place), but:

                      Old systems considered part of the "collection" for preservation and study:
                      -----------------
                      Cray YMP-EL94 (runnable)
                      Cray YMP-EL98 (2x)
                      Cray J916 8/128 (runnable)
                      Cray J916 4/128 (not yet runnable)

                      DEC DECsystem-2020 (PDP-10) (2x)
                      DEC PDP-8/e (three, two runnable)
                      DEC PDP-8/m (runnable)
                      DEC PDP-8/a
                      Spare Time Gizmos SBC6120 (tiny PDP-8 SBC)
                      DEC PDP-11/03 (many, some runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/04 (two, one runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/05
                      DEC PDP-11/23 (several, some runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/24 (runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/34a (2x, one runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/44 (4x)
                      DEC PDP-11/50
                      DEC PDP-11/53 (2x, runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/70 (runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/73 (several, some runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/83 (runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/84 (3x, one runnable)
                      DEC PDP-11/94 (not runnable)
                      DEC VT180 "Robin" (not running, need floppy cable)
                      DEC VAX-11/730
                      DEC VAX-11/750
                      DEC MicroVAX-I
                      DEC MicroVAX-II/VAXstation-II (many in various states)
                      DEC MicroVAX-2000 (several in various states)
                      DEC MicroVAX-3 (several in various states)
                      DEC MicroVAX/VAXstation 3100 (countless, in various states)
                      DEC MicroVAX-3100/80
                      DEC VAXstation4000-VLC (2x, runnable)
                      DEC VAXstation4000-60 (2x, runnable)
                      DEC VAXstation4000-90 (2x, runnable)
                      DEC VAX4000-300 (two, runnable)
                      DEC VAX4000-400 (2x, runnable)
                      DEC VAX4000-500 (runnable)
                      DEC VAX4000-600 (runnable)
                      DEC VAX4000-700a (2x, runnable)
                      DEC VAX7000-720 (runnable)
                      DEC VAX8250 (runnable)
                      DEC rtVAX-300 on 6U VME module
                      DEC DECmate-I
                      DEC DECmate-II
                      DEC DECmate-III+
                      DEC Professional 350
                      DEC Professional 380
                      DEC DECstation-2100
                      DEC DECstation-3100 (several)
                      TONS AND TONS (literally) of VAX & PDP parts, enough to build dozens of
                      systems
                      one or two older Alpha 3000-series machines
                      Many others...been into DEC for a LONG time, got my first PDP 30yrs ago.

                      The standard complement of Commodore, Atari, and Apple machines

                      Floating Point Systems AP-180V (VAX-interfaced version of AP-120)

                      IBM RT (tower chassis, runnable)
                      IBM RT (desktop chassis, runnable)
                      IBM RS/6000s (several, various models, some old, some not)
                      IMSAI 8080 (runnable)
                      SWTPC 6800 (3rd-party chassis)
                      TRS-80 models I, II, III, 4, 16, CoCo, CoCo2, MC-10
                      HP-85
                      HP-87XM
                      HP-2108A

                      Kaypro-II
                      Kaypro-10
                      Kaypro-16
                      Osborne 1 (2x)
                      Osborne Vixen
                      Commodore PET 2001 (non-Chiclet)
                      Heathkit H-8
                      Heathkit H-89 (3x)
                      NEC APC
                      Olivetti M20
                      Burroughs B80 (2x)
                      Data General S/280
                      IBM S/370 model 9375
                      IBM System/36 model 5360
                      Heath H-1 analog computer (tubes!)
                      Comdyna GP-6 analog computer
                      Symbolics 3640 Lisp Machine (not running)
                      Symbolics 3645 Lisp Machine (not running)
                      Symbolics XL1201 Lisp Machine (running)

                      SGI Origin 2000 (dual-chassis, rack config)
                      SGI O2 (3x)

                      Several Sun 2/170 board sets (no chassis anymore, sigh)
                      Several Sun 3/1xx, 3/2xx, and 4/xxx systems
                      Many Sun SPARCstation-1/-1+/-2/-IPC/-IPX/-LX/-Classic/-5/-10/-20 systems
                      No-name Transputer array, 16x T800 transputers w/ISA interface

                      Lots of single-board computers, processor eval & development boards for:
                      - Am2901
                      - 8085
                      - 8086
                      - Z80 (3x, my homebrew)
                      - 6800
                      - 68HC05
                      - 68HC11
                      - 6502

                      ASR-33 Teletype
                      Friden Flexowriter SPS

                      Countless peripherals...disk and tape drives, printers, terminals..

                      -------------------------------

                      Production systems
                      (how I put dinner on the table)
                      -------------------------------
                      Core i7-Quad desktop running Linux (primary desktop system)
                      Lenovo V570 laptop, Core i5 running Linux
                      Sun Fire V480 (4x US-III+ CPUs, 32GB, does all the heavy lifting)
                      Sun T1000
                      Sun Netra V100 (DNS, firewall)
                      HP DL585 quad dual-core Opteron (VMware host)
                      RS/6000 397, hosting a P/390 running OS/390 and VM/ESA (software
                      development)

                      Non-production systems
                      (modern or nearly so, but not currently involved in making a living)
                      -----------------------------------
                      Cray SV1
                      IBM z/890
                      SGI Origin 3000
                      About six large Sun FirePlane-based systems (SF3800, SF4800, SF6800)
                      AlphaServer DS10L, VMS

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2012
                        On 10/05/2012 12:30 AM, Aliaga, Daniel G wrote:
                        > So, after some debugging tonight, I am pretty sure:
                        >
                        > 1. The fixed drive does not spin on powerup or ever.
                        >
                        > 2. I think it waits to see if it spins, then gives a seek timeout
                        > error, and tries to boot from floppy. The seller did not know the status
                        > of the floppy drive, nor do I.

                        Have you checked for a shipping lock?

                        > 3. In the back of the DSD 800 there is a fuse for the Winchester
                        > Drive. Fuse measures out to be ok but if I pull the fuse, I get the same
                        > symptoms. So this means either no power is going to the motor or the
                        > motor is not blown. I can turn the motor by hand.

                        Ahh ok, so no spindle lock at least. Check for a shipping lock on the
                        head carriage. BUT...be very careful rotating the spindle by hand! In
                        some drive designs, turning it backward can cause the head to dig into
                        the media.

                        > I guess next step is figure out power lines to fixed drive and measure
                        > for live voltage? Somewhat dangerous because its suck way in there and
                        > lots of dissemble needed.

                        I think you're going to end up needing to disassemble it anyway.

                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ