Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Mitsubishi 2896 8" Drive to PC

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
      On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 09:56:38PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > I only have a few 8" that people have dug out from their filing
      > cabinets and bookshelves, and several are either SS,SD or SS,DD. Bummer!

      Good to see it working. You can use a hole punch to make the DS holes in
      the SS disk jacket and it will normally work ok. SD will also normally
      work ok DD. After you write the disk dump it again to see if it has errors.

      If you keep watching you probably can get some at an ok price on ebay.
      Some brands are having oxide shedding problems. Others may know which to
      avoid.
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012

        > Good news, everyone! I was able to get the 8" drive working just fine. I
        > ended up making another passive adapter, this time using a 5.25" floppy
        > edge connector. Now it can tie into a normal floppy ribbon cable. I had to
        > play with some jumpers, but I finally found some that worked. If anyone
        > wants a better write-up for connecting the Mitsubishi 2896 to a computer,
        > just let me know. I'll get something written up. I also should mention that

        That's great news Kyle! It's always exciting to hear success stories.

        You know who would probably really like a write up of it? Herb Johnson. He collects all these write ups and posts them on his web site for others to follow.

        Cheers,
        Josh