Re: Sunday at Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

  • corey986
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
      Mike,

      It happened when I was there talking to Evan. The power indicator light on the II plus keyboard dimmed, so I really think it was a power issue. Even told me it only happened at Maker Faire. I will check it this week when I can get down there, but I'm pretty sure it was the power fluxuations causing a voltage drop and when it came back some logic states were weird and caused some random characters to be produced. The keyboard is an RFI Apple II plus so it's shouldn't be a problem since I complete re-did that keyboard.

      Cheers,
      Corey

      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

      > Jeff,
      >
      > This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully it was the power. Can you describe any triggers. The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike W.
      >
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@> wrote:
      > >. Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the day the Apple 1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical difficulties. The running belief was that there were power fluctuations causing it, from the building as a whole. Since there was so much power being used throughout the place.

    • corey986
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
        This unit does not have a ground with bleeder resistor. It has a two prong cord, vintage style. I think maybe I should upgrade it when I transfer cases. I am making a new plexi case for this unit since it seems to be traveling alot. I have to make one that has no glue (bent only) with metal fasteners and a handle so that it can take the travel abuse.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          >> a handle

          Handle is probably overkill. Also we don't want to give people the idea that it was a portable computer.
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
            Ah... You have not seen what I have in mind as a handle. Only you will know it's a handle.... I'm planning a single piece plexi case that includes the keyboard, powersupply and motherboard which will have metal dowels on "open" sides to protect the board and provide extra support. The metal dowels will be usuable as handles if you connect them with a handle I plan on making.

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
              >> Only you will know it's a handle....

              Well, me and everyone else on this list. :) But I see your point: there could be metal rods on each side which offer structural support and double as a good lifting point.
            • Mike Willegal
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                Regards,
                Mike W.

                Sent from my iPad
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                  >> Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                  I know. Just looking to keep this one traditional.