re: Apple I power issue was Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Sunday at Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
      -------- Original Message --------

      it was the power. Can you describe any triggers.

      > >The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of
      line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to
      one with a slower set up time.

      > The unit would randomly generate a _ character. If you left the unit
      alone, you would see _ a lot.
      > Also the power light would fluctuate, which I thought was odd.
      >
      > Yea, I talked with the guys and we agree that a small UPS is the way to
      go, not only for this but if these was a surge or something, at least the
      UPS would take the hit. I rather kill a new UPS..

      Or, it could be that the Apple II keyboard you borrowed has a bad _ key,
      making contact when not wanted. Replace the keyboard, see if that fixes
      the problem (or put the keyboard on an Apple II to see if the same problem
      occurs there too.

      If random characters are appearing on the screen after many hours of use,
      you have an IC that is farting out. Don't use until fixed. replace things
      like the 7805, etc. Normal, even abnormal power fluctuations shouldn't
      cause the _ key to start firing, an no other symptoms.

      BD
    • corey986
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
        Mike,

        It happened when I was there talking to Evan. The power indicator light on the II plus keyboard dimmed, so I really think it was a power issue. Even told me it only happened at Maker Faire. I will check it this week when I can get down there, but I'm pretty sure it was the power fluxuations causing a voltage drop and when it came back some logic states were weird and caused some random characters to be produced. The keyboard is an RFI Apple II plus so it's shouldn't be a problem since I complete re-did that keyboard.

        Cheers,
        Corey

        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Mike" <mike@...> wrote:

        > Jeff,
        >
        > This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully it was the power. Can you describe any triggers. The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.
        >
        > Regards,
        > Mike W.
        >
        > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@> wrote:
        > >. Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the day the Apple 1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical difficulties. The running belief was that there were power fluctuations causing it, from the building as a whole. Since there was so much power being used throughout the place.

      • corey986
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          This unit does not have a ground with bleeder resistor. It has a two prong cord, vintage style. I think maybe I should upgrade it when I transfer cases. I am making a new plexi case for this unit since it seems to be traveling alot. I have to make one that has no glue (bent only) with metal fasteners and a handle so that it can take the travel abuse.

          Cheers,
          Corey

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
            >> a handle

            Handle is probably overkill. Also we don't want to give people the idea that it was a portable computer.
          • corey986
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
              Ah... You have not seen what I have in mind as a handle. Only you will know it's a handle.... I'm planning a single piece plexi case that includes the keyboard, powersupply and motherboard which will have metal dowels on "open" sides to protect the board and provide extra support. The metal dowels will be usuable as handles if you connect them with a handle I plan on making.

              Cheers,
              Corey

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                >> Only you will know it's a handle....

                Well, me and everyone else on this list. :) But I see your point: there could be metal rods on each side which offer structural support and double as a good lifting point.
              • Mike Willegal
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                  Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                  Regards,
                  Mike W.

                  Sent from my iPad
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                    >> Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                    I know. Just looking to keep this one traditional.