Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: DC 100A Tape Belts

  • Mike Hatch
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
      Hi, Josh.

      I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
      you want it via the group ?.

      Mike.
      mike@...

      On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
      > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
      > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
      > >
      > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
      > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
      > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
      > the UK.
      > >
      > > Mike.
      >
      > Hi Mike,
      >
      > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
      > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
      > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
      > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
      > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
      >
      > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
      > to mail them to Canada?
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Josh

    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Josh.
        >
        > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
        > you want it via the group ?.
        >
        > Mike.
        > mike@...

        Thanks! and email to: j.o.s.h-b.e.n.s.a.d.o.n @ yahoo.com by removing the dots and dashes from my name (the spam bots might be watching us?).
      • joshbensadon
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
          Update:

          I received some belts from KEN's ELECTRONIC PARTS, in KALAMAZOO, MI.

          They fit great but don't work perfectly. The belts are 9.5" long, .1" wide but are 0.033" thick! The original belts are only 0.003" thick.

          When the spools are close to each other, the belt start rubbing in the middle (photo available upon request).

          The tape is 140' long. I would guess for the first 20', it works great but at that point, the take up spool has grown more in diameter than the supply has shrunk and the belt starts rubbing.

          It might work if I shrink the tape to 100' (or less?), but I'm not sure what effect this will have on the HP-9825?

          I'm not familiar with the HP-9825, but I believe there is a "Save Machine State" command, but how much tape is required?

          :) Josh
        • philippe_elie
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
            Hi guys,

            I just came across this group, and see that I am not alone having trouble for old DC100A cartridges.... I just bought a HP85 which is working OK except that it kills each and every cartridge I'm putting into the drive... I fixed the gummy wheel which now appears to be working fine but I guess that the rubber belts within the cartridges are now so sold they cannot stand the tension created by the drive..

            I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
            I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

            thanks in advance for your feedback
            kind regards,

            Philippe
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Josh.
            >
            > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
            > you want it via the group ?.
            >
            > Mike.
            > mike@...
            >
            > On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
            > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
            > > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
            > > >
            > > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
            > > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
            > > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
            > > the UK.
            > > >
            > > > Mike.
            > >
            > > Hi Mike,
            > >
            > > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
            > > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
            > > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
            > > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
            > > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
            > >
            > > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
            > > to mail them to Canada?
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Josh

          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "philippe_elie" <philippe-elie@...> wrote:

              > I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
              > I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

              I don't think even new tapes will help. I bought 2 new tapes, in their original plastic. I opened them up like a kid on Christmas, then tried to remove the belt and transfer it to an old tape. The first one broke as I opened the case, I guess one of the wheels got caught on the top lid? I opened the 2nd tape more carefully, but when I tried to lift the belt off one of the rollers, that belt just ripped.

              There is no solution, but to buy new belts. I am in the process of finding and ordering some new belts, perhaps you would like to split the bill with me and go 50/50?

              Cheers,
              Josh
            • Dave
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                cricklewood electronics have a range of belts

                http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269

                Dave Wade G4UGM
                Illegitimi Non Carborundum

              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

                  > cricklewood electronics have a range of belts
                  >
                  > http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269
                  >

                  > Dave Wade G4UGM
                  > Illegitimi Non Carborundum

                  Thanks Dave, Good to know! I checked their inventory and they don't have the right size, but always good to know where to go!