re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Sunday at Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
      It might be a good idea to include a small UPS with the Mimeo setup.
      Continuous set up and display in non UL-approved venues .... do anyone
      verify there is proper ground, you have weird experiments, etc....would
      warrant some protection of our stuff.
      bd

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
        From: Mike <mike@...>
        >This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem.  Hopefully it was the power. Can you describe any triggers.

        >The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling.  That  was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.

        The unit would randomly generate a _ character. If you left the unit alone, you would see _ a lot.
        Also the power light would fluctuate, which I thought was odd.

        Yea, I talked with the guys and we agree that a small UPS is the way to go, not only for this but if these was a surge or something, at least the UPS would take the hit. I rather kill a new UPS..
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

          > From: Mike <mike@...>
          > >This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully
          it was the power. Can you describe any triggers.

          > >The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of
          line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to
          one with a slower set up time.

          > The unit would randomly generate a _ character. If you left the unit
          alone, you would see _ a lot.
          > Also the power light would fluctuate, which I thought was odd.
          >
          > Yea, I talked with the guys and we agree that a small UPS is the way to
          go, not only for this but if these was a surge or something, at least the
          UPS would take the hit. I rather kill a new UPS..

          Or, it could be that the Apple II keyboard you borrowed has a bad _ key,
          making contact when not wanted. Replace the keyboard, see if that fixes
          the problem (or put the keyboard on an Apple II to see if the same problem
          occurs there too.

          If random characters are appearing on the screen after many hours of use,
          you have an IC that is farting out. Don't use until fixed. replace things
          like the 7805, etc. Normal, even abnormal power fluctuations shouldn't
          cause the _ key to start firing, an no other symptoms.

          BD
        • corey986
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
            Mike,

            It happened when I was there talking to Evan. The power indicator light on the II plus keyboard dimmed, so I really think it was a power issue. Even told me it only happened at Maker Faire. I will check it this week when I can get down there, but I'm pretty sure it was the power fluxuations causing a voltage drop and when it came back some logic states were weird and caused some random characters to be produced. The keyboard is an RFI Apple II plus so it's shouldn't be a problem since I complete re-did that keyboard.

            Cheers,
            Corey

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
              This unit does not have a ground with bleeder resistor. It has a two prong cord, vintage style. I think maybe I should upgrade it when I transfer cases. I am making a new plexi case for this unit since it seems to be traveling alot. I have to make one that has no glue (bent only) with metal fasteners and a handle so that it can take the travel abuse.

              Cheers,
              Corey

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                >> a handle

                Handle is probably overkill. Also we don't want to give people the idea that it was a portable computer.
              • corey986
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Ah... You have not seen what I have in mind as a handle. Only you will know it's a handle.... I'm planning a single piece plexi case that includes the keyboard, powersupply and motherboard which will have metal dowels on "open" sides to protect the board and provide extra support. The metal dowels will be usuable as handles if you connect them with a handle I plan on making.

                  Cheers,
                  Corey

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                    >> Only you will know it's a handle....

                    Well, me and everyone else on this list. :) But I see your point: there could be metal rods on each side which offer structural support and double as a good lifting point.
                  • Mike Willegal
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                      Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                      Regards,
                      Mike W.

                      Sent from my iPad
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                        >> Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                        I know. Just looking to keep this one traditional.