Sunday at Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
      Jeff Jonas met me there around 9. We set up the Apple I Mimeo. I brought my mini iPod so that we could BASIC and the Lunar Lander program into the Apple 1 Mimeo through the audio port. There was a problem with the light above the apple 1 Mimeo, basically it was broken and didn’t work all day. The maintenance guy thought that it was the light bulb and replaced it, but it was the fixture that was broken. So that was unfortunate. Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the day the Apple 1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical difficulties. The running belief was that there were power fluctuations causing it, from the building as a whole. Since there was so much power being used throughout the place.

      Anyway onto the good parts. It started out slow, maybe 6 visitors per hour for the first two hours. Then it started to double and triple, until there was generally a steady flow and a small line. Especially when it poured rain outside and many people came inside. So it got quite busy. There were different types of people. Those that didn’t have a clue what an Apple 1 was, those who had some clue, those who knew about it, and those who thought they everything about it.

      I would get questions like: “I thought it was sold in a wooden case”, “what can you do with an Apple 1”, “Did you build this yourself ?”. It was fun when a parent would explain to a kid that this was how things were “back when I was a kid”. One guy even showed his daughter how to write a BASIC program. You know input “what is your name”;a$ print A$.

      My spiel was “Do you know what an Apple 1 is ?”, then “Do you know who Steve Wozniak is ?”, “What about Steve Jobs'”. Then explaining how Steve Wozniack build it and then Steve Jobs convinced him to sell it and how it led to the Apple 2.

      So there were lots and lots of visitors and just when I thought I could sit down and take a break, then another person came by. I was quite glad that Christian Liendo came at 2:30 to give me a break, as I had done it nonstop for 5 hours at that point and was getting quite tired.  I took that opportunity to eat, rest and then look around Maker Faire. Quite some fun stuff there ! 3D printing, quad copters, coke zero and mentos, live electronic music with all kids of instruments etc.

      The highlight of my day was meeting Jeri Ellsworth ! I had a 10 minute conversation with her, but had to get back the Apple 1 because I happened to be alone at that time (Jeff Jonas was taking a break). I didn’t want strangers to damage the Apple 1 by tapping away on the keyboard etc.

      I also told all visitors about MARCH, VCF, Infoage and all it’s museums. Our museum hours, the famous aspects of Infoage and Camp Evans. So hopefully we will get visitors because of this. One guy seems to have gone to our exhibit at Maker Faire every year, because he remembers what we did each time. Jeff Jonas brought the “Weird NJ” magazine which had an article about InfoAge.

      All in all it was very successful and well worth it for me. It was quite fun and quite exhausting.

      Jeff Brace
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2012
        > questions like: “I thought it was sold in a wooden case”

        We heard the same question all day on Saturday. Many people have seen
        that famous picture, and got the impression that ALL of the units had
        that. We set them straight. :)
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
          Jeff,

          This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully it was the power. Can you describe any triggers. The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.

          Regards,
          Mike W.

          >. Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the day the Apple 1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical difficulties. The running belief was that there were power fluctuations causing it, from the building as a whole. Since there was so much power being used throughout the place.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
            On Tue, 2 Oct 2012, Jeffrey Brace wrote:

            > Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the
            > day the Apple 1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical
            > difficulties. The running belief was that there were power fluctuations
            > causing it, from the building as a whole. Since there was so much power
            > being used throughout the place.

            Just for future reference, a small UPS is a great idea for traveling
            exhibits.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
              It might be a good idea to include a small UPS with the Mimeo setup.
              Continuous set up and display in non UL-approved venues .... do anyone
              verify there is proper ground, you have weird experiments, etc....would
              warrant some protection of our stuff.
              bd

              > This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully it
              was the power. Can you describe any triggers. The only thing similar that
              I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling. That
              was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.

              > Regards,
              > Mike W.
              >
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Jeffrey Brace" <ark72axow@...>
              wrote:
              > >. Another big and annoying problem was that throughout the day the Apple
              1 Mimeo would spit out random characters causing technical difficulties.
              The running belief was that there were power fluctuations causing it, from
              the building as a whole. Since there was so much power being used
              throughout the place.

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                From: Mike <mike@...>
                >This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem.  Hopefully it was the power. Can you describe any triggers.

                >The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of line/carriage return handling.  That  was fixed by changing a component to one with a slower set up time.

                The unit would randomly generate a _ character. If you left the unit alone, you would see _ a lot.
                Also the power light would fluctuate, which I thought was odd.

                Yea, I talked with the guys and we agree that a small UPS is the way to go, not only for this but if these was a surge or something, at least the UPS would take the hit. I rather kill a new UPS..
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Maker Faire demontrating the Apple I Mimeo

                  > From: Mike <mike@...>
                  > >This is the first time that I have heard of such a problem. Hopefully
                  it was the power. Can you describe any triggers.

                  > >The only thing similar that I've seen, is problems with end of
                  line/carriage return handling. That was fixed by changing a component to
                  one with a slower set up time.

                  > The unit would randomly generate a _ character. If you left the unit
                  alone, you would see _ a lot.
                  > Also the power light would fluctuate, which I thought was odd.
                  >
                  > Yea, I talked with the guys and we agree that a small UPS is the way to
                  go, not only for this but if these was a surge or something, at least the
                  UPS would take the hit. I rather kill a new UPS..

                  Or, it could be that the Apple II keyboard you borrowed has a bad _ key,
                  making contact when not wanted. Replace the keyboard, see if that fixes
                  the problem (or put the keyboard on an Apple II to see if the same problem
                  occurs there too.

                  If random characters are appearing on the screen after many hours of use,
                  you have an IC that is farting out. Don't use until fixed. replace things
                  like the 7805, etc. Normal, even abnormal power fluctuations shouldn't
                  cause the _ key to start firing, an no other symptoms.

                  BD
                • corey986
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                    Mike,

                    It happened when I was there talking to Evan. The power indicator light on the II plus keyboard dimmed, so I really think it was a power issue. Even told me it only happened at Maker Faire. I will check it this week when I can get down there, but I'm pretty sure it was the power fluxuations causing a voltage drop and when it came back some logic states were weird and caused some random characters to be produced. The keyboard is an RFI Apple II plus so it's shouldn't be a problem since I complete re-did that keyboard.

                    Cheers,
                    Corey

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                      This unit does not have a ground with bleeder resistor. It has a two prong cord, vintage style. I think maybe I should upgrade it when I transfer cases. I am making a new plexi case for this unit since it seems to be traveling alot. I have to make one that has no glue (bent only) with metal fasteners and a handle so that it can take the travel abuse.

                      Cheers,
                      Corey

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                        >> a handle

                        Handle is probably overkill. Also we don't want to give people the idea that it was a portable computer.
                      • corey986
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                          Ah... You have not seen what I have in mind as a handle. Only you will know it's a handle.... I'm planning a single piece plexi case that includes the keyboard, powersupply and motherboard which will have metal dowels on "open" sides to protect the board and provide extra support. The metal dowels will be usuable as handles if you connect them with a handle I plan on making.

                          Cheers,
                          Corey

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2012
                            >> Only you will know it's a handle....

                            Well, me and everyone else on this list. :) But I see your point: there could be metal rods on each side which offer structural support and double as a good lifting point.
                          • Mike Willegal
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                              Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                              Regards,
                              Mike W.

                              Sent from my iPad
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 3, 2012
                                >> Well, there were few original systems in attaché cases....

                                I know. Just looking to keep this one traditional.