Re: [midatlanticretro] Mitsubishi 2896 8" Drive to PC

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
      On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:28:20PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > Any ideas? Have any other MARCHians been successful hooking this (or a
      > similar) drive up to a modern PC?

      I have gotten an 8" drive to work with a PC. It took some fiddling but
      was long enough that I don't remember exactly what. I was playing
      with the BIOS settings and drive jumpers. If your PC moves the heads
      on startup the 8" drive should do the same. If not check the
      drive select/ready/track 0/step.
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

        > On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 09:28:20PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
        > > Hi all,
        > >
        > > Any ideas? Have any other MARCHians been successful hooking this (or a
        > > similar) drive up to a modern PC?
        > >
        > I have gotten an 8" drive to work with a PC. It took some fiddling but
        > was long enough that I don't remember exactly what. I was playing
        > with the BIOS settings and drive jumpers. If your PC moves the heads
        > on startup the 8" drive should do the same. If not check the
        > drive select/ready/track 0/step.

        I have not done this before, sounds like something I would like to do.
        But if I still may throw in my 2 cents worth...

        Most FDC's will home the head(s) on start up/init.
        So, with power off, spin the motor shaft to move the head out and turn on the power to watch it go "home" to track 0. Here's a good way to test stepping and the track 0 line.

        I've not done this before, but my question would be around the Head Load line? Do the 5-1/4" drives even have a "Head Load"?

        While we're on the subject... how do double sided disks work? I mean, are the write currents so low that the magnetism doesn't bleed through to the other side? or do they skew the side 1 and side 2 tracks? or both?

        Cheers,
        Josh
      • Kyle Owen
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
          Good news, everyone! I was able to get the 8" drive working just fine. I ended up making another passive adapter, this time using a 5.25" floppy edge connector. Now it can tie into a normal floppy ribbon cable. I had to play with some jumpers, but I finally found some that worked. If anyone wants a better write-up for connecting the Mitsubishi 2896 to a computer, just let me know. I'll get something written up. I also should mention that the 150 ohm terminator is way too small for this particular machine, so I moved up to 1k terminators. I think it was also working without the terminator altogether, but I'd have to try it again just to make sure.

          I have successfully copied both the MS-DOS boot and list disks to 8" floppy, and both work great. ImageDisk, although very low-level, is quite easy to use. I guessed on some parameters like interleave, but it works just fine. Sweet! CP/M is next, though I'll have to forfeit the list disk to do that. I only have a few 8" that people have dug out from their filing cabinets and bookshelves, and several are either SS,SD or SS,DD. Bummer!

          Kyle

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012
            On Wed, Oct 03, 2012 at 09:56:38PM -0500, Kyle Owen wrote:
            > I only have a few 8" that people have dug out from their filing
            > cabinets and bookshelves, and several are either SS,SD or SS,DD. Bummer!

            Good to see it working. You can use a hole punch to make the DS holes in
            the SS disk jacket and it will normally work ok. SD will also normally
            work ok DD. After you write the disk dump it again to see if it has errors.

            If you keep watching you probably can get some at an ok price on ebay.
            Some brands are having oxide shedding problems. Others may know which to
            avoid.
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 4, 2012

              > Good news, everyone! I was able to get the 8" drive working just fine. I
              > ended up making another passive adapter, this time using a 5.25" floppy
              > edge connector. Now it can tie into a normal floppy ribbon cable. I had to
              > play with some jumpers, but I finally found some that worked. If anyone
              > wants a better write-up for connecting the Mitsubishi 2896 to a computer,
              > just let me know. I'll get something written up. I also should mention that

              That's great news Kyle! It's always exciting to hear success stories.

              You know who would probably really like a write up of it? Herb Johnson. He collects all these write ups and posts them on his web site for others to follow.

              Cheers,
              Josh