Re: Maker Faire -- Saturday summary

  • jeff_s_jonas
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1 5:15 AM
      > Just about everything worked out great yesterday.
      > The Mimeo was a hit. Our booth was busy all day long.
      > Our exhibit design also worked great ...
      > We put "input" and "output" signs at either end

      And we did the "GIGO" jokes done beforehand to get it out of our systems :-)

      And it was historically accurate to expect a queue for that venue since it was the site of the 1939 and 1964-5 World's Fairs. I adore the huge glass "great hall" (where ongoing concerts & lighting demos were held). My table was near the great hall for the Queens-wide science fair when I was in high school.

      Sat was almost a train-wreck for many of us. The #7 subway service was totally suspended Sat morning so the buses were instantly overloaded, delaying my arrival. But it was gratifying seeing the parade of folks along 111 St just for the maker fair, almost thick enough to have body-surfed it :-) Street venders must've loved the event for they sold great cheap lunches: grilled corn on the cob, various kabobs, home made drinks (coconut, mango).

      Evan continued to perfect his Apple 1 demo from HOPE by demonstrating BASIC programs with the kids' names as well as lunar lander ("see, it plays games!")[and lunar landing is perfect for that venue, for the Hall of Science was originally built for the 1965 World's Fair, focusing on the Mercury & Gemini missions]

      On Sat I got to look around. Several "friends of MARCH" had our flyers such as the traveling exhibit of Interesting Things. While Atmel dominates the Arduino arena with their AVR microprocessor, Microchip was there and quickly sold out of their PIC32 based Arduino (IXR has 4 of them for their contest). The Allied Electronics table was empty and staffed by 2 very forlorn folks, for their Raspberry Pi supplier stiffed them and never showed up. Apparently others had more on hand and sold out quickly. Fedora's booth was next to MARCH, running Linux on a Raspberry Pi, running the digital camera and serving photos of folks posing with the Tux mascot. (Drat! I forgot to wear my Red Fedora just to tease them!)

      Other booths near MARCH: a joint project of the Cooper Union and Columbia (I attended Cooper for EE), and IEEE (I'm usually a member).

      Sunday was interrupted by rain, so many folks huddled inside just to stay dry, so that diluted the number of folks really interested in the Apple 1 or Apple's humble beginnings. And the halogen spot light fritzed out, leaving us in the dark. Literally.

      I brought my Weird NJ #38 to show off "The Camp Evans Story" to appeal to the non-tech folks and give them yet another reason to visit us! I did my best to feel out what aspect interested each guest the most: the people (Woz and Jobs), the tech, or just "what's the big deal about this?" [kinda like a Passover seder: there are 4 kinds of kids: the wise son, the wicked son, the simple son and the one who does not yet know how to ask a question]. I tried to relate the Apple 1 to the MAKER scene since it's open source software & hardware, and it was kinda the Arduino of its day (a complete & tested ready to run single board computer intended for hobbyists to integrate as they please with their own keyboard & monitor to start).

      Many thanks to Evan, Alise and Jeff Brace for the drive home.

      One woman was telling me how she was about 10 when she met Dr. Wernher Von Braun http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wernher_von_Braun at an astronomy club. That led to Tom Lehrer's song about WVB and happily she knew it well, so I felt obligated to tell her "if you like http://www.tomlehrer.org/ then you'll love http://www.johnforster.com/ "

      > Also as usually happens, we met several interesting people.
      > One person said his Apple 1 is in the Smithsonian.

      As with MARCH donations, many are never on display. I have a letter for the line printer carriage control tapes & punch I donated to the Smithsonian but I doubt they're on display unless there's a recreation of a programmer or sysop's desk for the mainframe era.

      Many friends of VCF visited on Saturday, even some VCF attendees!

      -- jeffj