Re: DC 100A Tape Belts

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012

      > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched too far it likely will have too much tension.

      Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
      If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.

      I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
      It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good. I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the reels.

      I'll also start shopping around at those other places.

      Cheers,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012
        > > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply
        stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched too
        far it likely will have too much tension.

        > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
        > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.
        >
        > I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's
        rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
        > It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square
        belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it
        looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good.
        I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time
        permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the
        reels.

        > I'll also start shopping around at those other places.

        I found a place, don't remember the name, where they sent me a sampler box
        of various sizes of rubber bands. I used these for various attempts to
        replace belts. Sometimes worked, but never for long.

        Bill
      • Barry L. Kline
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 1, 2012
          On 09/27/2012 09:47 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
          > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
          > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.

          Another possibility for you would be to consider rubber "O" rings. They
          don't have the same stretchiness as do rubber bands and that might be to
          your advantage. I know that these 'O' rings were used in my Heathkit
          amateur transceivers to turn capacitors for tuning and they'd probably
          be the cat's meow for this purpose as well.

          You can find these at farm supply stores, or failing that look at any of
          the pinball supply websites where you can purchase these in black,
          white, yellow and perhaps other colors.

          Regards,

          Barry
        • joshbensadon
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 1, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Kline" <blkline@...> wrote:

            > Another possibility for you would be to consider rubber "O" rings. They
            > don't have the same stretchiness as do rubber bands and that might be to
            > your advantage. I know that these 'O' rings were used in my

            Thanks Barry, I was thinking the same thing. However I would need to slice these O rings into a Flat Belt. The space between the reels is very limited (between 1/16 to 1/8). The original belt is only 0.004" thick. I was thinking to try slicing an O-Ring, carefully with a sharp xacto knife. Might take me a few O-Rings to get it right. Next I was thinking to get a sheet of Rubber, 0.1" thick (desired belt width), and just carve out my own flat belts.

            I just found a flat belt for $4 from someone in Michigan. It's a rubber belt 9.4". I'm hoping it will stretch to 9.58" without putting too much tension on the drive roller. I'll let everyone know next week.

            Cheers and thanks for the great ideas!!!

            Josh
          • Mike Hatch
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
              Hi,

              I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
              DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.

              Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
              all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
              http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in the UK.

              Mike.

              On 28/09/2012 02:47, joshbensadon wrote:
              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
              > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...>
              > wrote:
              > >

              > > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply
              > stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched
              > too far it likely will have too much tension.
              >
              > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
              > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.
              >
              > I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's
              > rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
              > It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square
              > belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it
              > looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good.
              > I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time
              > permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the
              > reels.
              >
              > I'll also start shopping around at those other places.
              >
              > Cheers,
              > Josh

            • joshbensadon
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                >
                > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in the UK.
                >
                > Mike.

                Hi Mike,

                I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape. Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.

                I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost to mail them to Canada?

                Cheers,
                Josh
              • Mike Hatch
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Hi, Josh.

                  I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                  you want it via the group ?.

                  Mike.
                  mike@...

                  On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
                  > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > >
                  > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                  > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                  > >
                  > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                  > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                  > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
                  > the UK.
                  > >
                  > > Mike.
                  >
                  > Hi Mike,
                  >
                  > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
                  > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
                  > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
                  > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
                  > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
                  >
                  > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
                  > to mail them to Canada?
                  >
                  > Cheers,
                  > Josh

                • joshbensadon
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Josh.
                    >
                    > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                    > you want it via the group ?.
                    >
                    > Mike.
                    > mike@...

                    Thanks! and email to: j.o.s.h-b.e.n.s.a.d.o.n @ yahoo.com by removing the dots and dashes from my name (the spam bots might be watching us?).
                  • joshbensadon
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
                      Update:

                      I received some belts from KEN's ELECTRONIC PARTS, in KALAMAZOO, MI.

                      They fit great but don't work perfectly. The belts are 9.5" long, .1" wide but are 0.033" thick! The original belts are only 0.003" thick.

                      When the spools are close to each other, the belt start rubbing in the middle (photo available upon request).

                      The tape is 140' long. I would guess for the first 20', it works great but at that point, the take up spool has grown more in diameter than the supply has shrunk and the belt starts rubbing.

                      It might work if I shrink the tape to 100' (or less?), but I'm not sure what effect this will have on the HP-9825?

                      I'm not familiar with the HP-9825, but I believe there is a "Save Machine State" command, but how much tape is required?

                      :) Josh
                    • philippe_elie
                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                        Hi guys,

                        I just came across this group, and see that I am not alone having trouble for old DC100A cartridges.... I just bought a HP85 which is working OK except that it kills each and every cartridge I'm putting into the drive... I fixed the gummy wheel which now appears to be working fine but I guess that the rubber belts within the cartridges are now so sold they cannot stand the tension created by the drive..

                        I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
                        I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

                        thanks in advance for your feedback
                        kind regards,

                        Philippe
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                        > Hi, Josh.
                        >
                        > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                        > you want it via the group ?.
                        >
                        > Mike.
                        > mike@...
                        >
                        > On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
                        > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                        > > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Hi,
                        > > >
                        > > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                        > > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                        > > >
                        > > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                        > > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                        > > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
                        > > the UK.
                        > > >
                        > > > Mike.
                        > >
                        > > Hi Mike,
                        > >
                        > > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
                        > > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
                        > > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
                        > > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
                        > > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
                        > >
                        > > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
                        > > to mail them to Canada?
                        > >
                        > > Cheers,
                        > > Josh

                      • joshbensadon
                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "philippe_elie" <philippe-elie@...> wrote:

                          > I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
                          > I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

                          I don't think even new tapes will help. I bought 2 new tapes, in their original plastic. I opened them up like a kid on Christmas, then tried to remove the belt and transfer it to an old tape. The first one broke as I opened the case, I guess one of the wheels got caught on the top lid? I opened the 2nd tape more carefully, but when I tried to lift the belt off one of the rollers, that belt just ripped.

                          There is no solution, but to buy new belts. I am in the process of finding and ordering some new belts, perhaps you would like to split the bill with me and go 50/50?

                          Cheers,
                          Josh
                        • Dave
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                            cricklewood electronics have a range of belts

                            http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269

                            Dave Wade G4UGM
                            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

                          • joshbensadon
                            Message 13 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

                              > cricklewood electronics have a range of belts
                              >
                              > http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269
                              >

                              > Dave Wade G4UGM
                              > Illegitimi Non Carborundum

                              Thanks Dave, Good to know! I checked their inventory and they don't have the right size, but always good to know where to go!