Re: Looking for a DSO/MSO

  • Mike Willegal
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 27, 2012
      I've managed to solve quite a few tough issues with an $80 scope...

      Check out the blog post on this topic that I posted a couple of years ago.

      http://www.willegal.net/blog/?p=952

      Regards,
      MIke Willegal
    • J. Alexander Jacocks
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 22 12:24 PM
        So, I've finally picked up a scope.  Don't have it, yet, as it's an eBay purchase, but hopefully will, soon.

        I did take some of the advice given, here, and got an HP 54506 300 MHz scope.  The size looks to be about right, and it appears to be in good condition.  Now, I just have to hope that the delivery courier doesn't destroy it.

        Dave suggested that I get Tektronix P6104 probes.  However, since I bought a 300 MHz scope, I assume that the equivalent probe would be the Tektronix P6131 probe?

        Has anyone here used scopes like the one I bought?  I'm trying to download the manuals from Agilent, but they seem to be having issues with their documentation server.

        Thanks!
        - Alex
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 26 12:15 AM
          On 12/22/2012 03:24 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
          > So, I've finally picked up a scope. Don't have it, yet, as it's an eBay
          > purchase, but hopefully will, soon.
          >
          > I did take some of the advice given, here, and got an HP 54506 300 MHz
          > scope. The size looks to be about right, and it appears to be in good
          > condition. Now, I just have to hope that the delivery courier doesn't
          > destroy it.
          >
          > Dave suggested that I get Tektronix P6104 probes. However, since I
          > bought a 300 MHz scope, I assume that the equivalent probe would be
          > theTektronix P6131 probe?
          >
          > Has anyone here used scopes like the one I bought? I'm trying to
          > download the manuals from Agilent, but they seem to be having issues
          > with their documentation server.

          I used a 54501 for a long time...a good bit earlier but the same basic
          flavor.

          This being a digital scope...be careful. Be absolutely certain that
          you understand the Nyquist limit and aliasing! People will say "that's
          not a problem with modern scopes!" ...but in fact it is.

          I've gone over the specs; it should be a damn fine instrument.
          Congrats on the acquisition! Take the time to learn its capabilities
          and limitations, well beyond what you might think (and some might say)
          is "enough", and it will serve you well.

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • J. Alexander Jacocks
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 26 11:18 AM
            On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 3:15 AM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

            On 12/22/2012 03:24 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
            > So, I've finally picked up a scope. Don't have it, yet, as it's an eBay
            > purchase, but hopefully will, soon.
            >
            > I did take some of the advice given, here, and got an HP 54506 300 MHz
            > scope. The size looks to be about right, and it appears to be in good
            > condition. Now, I just have to hope that the delivery courier doesn't
            > destroy it.
            >
            > Dave suggested that I get Tektronix P6104 probes. However, since I
            > bought a 300 MHz scope, I assume that the equivalent probe would be
            > theTektronix P6131 probe?

            > Has anyone here used scopes like the one I bought? I'm trying to
            > download the manuals from Agilent, but they seem to be having issues
            > with their documentation server.

            I used a 54501 for a long time...a good bit earlier but the same basic
            flavor.

            This being a digital scope...be careful. Be absolutely certain that
            you understand the Nyquist limit and aliasing! People will say "that's
            not a problem with modern scopes!" ...but in fact it is.

            I've gone over the specs; it should be a damn fine instrument.
            Congrats on the acquisition! Take the time to learn its capabilities
            and limitations, well beyond what you might think (and some might say)
            is "enough", and it will serve you well.

            Thanks, Dave!

            I ended up buying 4 Agilent N2863a probes, again following your advice to get quality probes.  I'm trying to download the manuals for the scope, from Agilent (thank goodness they keep docs online for 20 year old equipment!), but their documentation service seems to be down for the holidays.  Oh well, since I had to get the probes from Malaysia, I probably won't be able to use the scope for a month or so.  That'll give me plenty of time to read the docs, before I use the scope.

            What do you think of the GPIB interface?  I know that you can use that to print from the scope, and it seems like it can be used to control the scope, but is it worth me trying to get a USB-GPIB interface?  The card based (PCI, and PCIe) interfaces are seriously expensive, so I'd rather not get those.  I'm also not sure what software (other than LabView, which is way beyond my price range) is capable of driving the scope, over GPIB.

            Thanks!
            - Alex

            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 26 1:13 PM
              On 12/26/2012 02:18 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
              > I ended up buying 4 Agilent N2863a probes, again following your advice
              > to get quality probes.

              Excellent.

              > I'm trying to download the manuals for the
              > scope, from Agilent (thank goodness they keep docs online for 20 year
              > old equipment!),

              Yes, they're great about that. What's even better is they've been
              scanning paper-only manuals and are supplying, free of charge, scanned
              docs of FIFTY year old equipment. Very nice!

              > but their documentation service seems to be down for
              > the holidays. Oh well, since I had to get the probes from Malaysia, I
              > probably won't be able to use the scope for a month or so. That'll give
              > me plenty of time to read the docs, before I use the scope.

              Weird; I've never seen their doc system go down.

              > What do you think of the GPIB interface? I know that you can use that
              > to print from the scope, and it seems like it can be used to control the
              > scope, but is it worth me trying to get a USB-GPIB interface? The card
              > based (PCI, and PCIe) interfaces are seriously expensive, so I'd rather
              > not get those. I'm also not sure what software (other than LabView,
              > which is way beyond my price range) is capable of driving the scope,
              > over GPIB.

              GPIB is very handy. If you want to drop some coin and do a LOT of
              cool stuff, get one of the Prologix GPIB<->Ethernet adapters. Screw
              USB...with Ethernet, you can control your equipment from across the room
              or from a hotel room in Albuquerque!

              With that, you can do basic stuff (managing settins, pulling out
              digitized waveforms, etc) with just some simple scripting. I'll talk to
              you offline about other software possibilities.

              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
              New Kensington, PA
            • J. Alexander Jacocks
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 20, 2014
                On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 4:13 PM, Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> wrote:

                On 12/26/2012 02:18 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                > I ended up buying 4 Agilent N2863a probes, again following your advice
                > to get quality probes.

                Excellent.

                > I'm trying to download the manuals for the
                > scope, from Agilent (thank goodness they keep docs online for 20 year
                > old equipment!),

                Yes, they're great about that. What's even better is they've been
                scanning paper-only manuals and are supplying, free of charge, scanned
                docs of FIFTY year old equipment. Very nice!

                > but their documentation service seems to be down for
                > the holidays. Oh well, since I had to get the probes from Malaysia, I
                > probably won't be able to use the scope for a month or so. That'll give
                > me plenty of time to read the docs, before I use the scope.

                Weird; I've never seen their doc system go down.

                > What do you think of the GPIB interface? I know that you can use that
                > to print from the scope, and it seems like it can be used to control the
                > scope, but is it worth me trying to get a USB-GPIB interface? The card
                > based (PCI, and PCIe) interfaces are seriously expensive, so I'd rather
                > not get those. I'm also not sure what software (other than LabView,
                > which is way beyond my price range) is capable of driving the scope,
                > over GPIB.

                GPIB is very handy. If you want to drop some coin and do a LOT of
                cool stuff, get one of the Prologix GPIB<->Ethernet adapters. Screw
                USB...with Ethernet, you can control your equipment from across the room
                or from a hotel room in Albuquerque!

                With that, you can do basic stuff (managing settins, pulling out
                digitized waveforms, etc) with just some simple scripting. I'll talk to
                you offline about other software possibilities.

                To conduct a bit of thread necromancy, I just got another scope, that I couldn't resist buying, because it was really cheap.

                I picked up a Tektronix TDS380 2 channel 400 MHz 2GSa/sec, with 2 Tek P6114B probes.  It's in beautiful shape, and has a recent calibration, which was why it caught my eye.

                However, it doesn't have GPIB, though it has room for the option.  Does anyone have a GPIB option 14 interface that they'd like to part with?

                Thanks!
                - Alex