Our booth plan for Maker Faire

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 26, 2012
      Apparently there's little interest in this, but we're going anyway. Maker Faire is an AWESOME event like no other, those of us who go always have a great time, and our exhibit is loved by the general audience.

      This year, as previously stated, we're exhibiting just one thing -- the Mimeo 1 -- that's an uber-authentic Apple 1 replica built by our own Corey C.

      We reserved two 6-foot tables that we'll arrange end-to-end, giving us 12 feet by 30 inches. The computer, screen, manuals, etc. will be at one end. I made six posters that we'll space out along the rest of the table space.

      The posters look good! They're vertical orientation, 11x17, red ink on white background, and laminated. There is one each for: MARCH, Apple 1 history, Apple 1 tech, Apple 1 schematic, Mimeo description, and original Apple logo. I also made a bunch of MARCH fliers on bright green paper so they stand out. Jeff B. made us some Print Shop banners that say "APPLE 1 REPRODUCTION COMPUTER" in block letters. (We'll forgive him for making them on a Commodore; at least it's a 6502!) ... And last but not least I'll bring our MARCH flag + PVC pole for it.

      We're also bringing two rope stands; we'll stretch a rope along the front, with a 3 or 4-foot aisle between the tables and the rope. We'll put an "ENTER (Input!)" sign at the end opposite the computer and an "EXIT (Output!)" sign after the computer itself. That will force people to browse the posters before getting to the computer, and will basically create a line to see it. It'll be good for two reasons: 1., we two or three table-workers won't be overwhelmed with large groups of people approaching from every direction; 2., it's sort of a marketing trick: where people see lines, it builds excitement.

      So ... the signs have red ink, fliers are green, flag is yellow. You can see much planning I did. :)

      I will also bring tablecloths. Maybe black.

      Anyway, I am very excited about our exhibit plan for this weekend. Our demo of a near-real Apple 1 is certain to make people say "wow" and generate enthusiasm for vintage computing.

      If anyone is on the fence about going then I urge you to do so. (Note, however, that our allotment of free tickets is already used: you should have asked sooner.)
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 27, 2012

        > Apparently there's little interest in this, but we're going anyway. Maker
        Faire is an AWESOME event like no other, those of us who go always have a
        great time, and our exhibit is loved by the general audience.

        > This year, as previously stated, we're exhibiting just one thing -- the
        Mimeo 1 -- that's an uber-authentic Apple 1 replica built by our own Corey
        C.

        <snip>

        > Anyway, I am very excited about our exhibit plan for this weekend. Our
        demo of a near-real Apple 1 is certain to make people say "wow" and
        generate enthusiasm for vintage computing.

        Something good always comes of this event. Have fun, sounds like you have
        a good plan.