Re: [midatlanticretro] VCF East 9.0

  • Matt Patoray
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
      Evan,

      The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you would loose some to that as well.

      As for me no problem with the 4-5th.

      Matt

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Sep 25, 2012, at 4:29 PM, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

      Forget if I announced this or not -- VCF East 9.0 is May 18-19, 2013. Start planning now. :)

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
        Bill,
        I asked around the computer festival, I could not find anyone with a ///+
        other than myself. Most people had not even seen one. They are very rare.
        I have to determine its value before I can offer for a trade or sell it.
        I get many requests each day, thank you for your patience. Selling and
        shipping items is a hassle, it has to be worth the trouble.

        The VCF E has been moved to May 5th weekend. Too many conflicts with the
        18-19th.

        Best,

        Bill

      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
          Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes:

          >--Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type:
          >text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding:
          >quoted-printable
          >
          >Evan,
          >
          >The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you
          >wou= ld loose some to that as well.=20
          >
          >As for me no problem with the 4-5th.

          May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
          nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
            On 09/26/2012 02:30 PM, system@... wrote:
            > Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes:
            >
            >> --Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type:
            >> text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding:
            >> quoted-printable
            >>
            >> Evan,
            >>
            >> The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you
            >> wou= ld loose some to that as well.=20
            >>
            >> As for me no problem with the 4-5th.
            >
            > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
            > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

            You guys have the busiest social schedules I've ever seen. ;)

            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
            New Kensington, PA
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
              On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:

              > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
              > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

              Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • J. Alexander Jacocks
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:

                > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
                > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

                Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

                Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                I want to see that, myself!

                - Alex
              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                  On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                  > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>wrote:
                  >>
                  >> Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)
                  >
                  > I want to see that, myself!

                  It's just a little VAX:

                  http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/index.html

                  I could use a few more VT420 terminals for it.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                    On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                    On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                    > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>wrote:
                    >>
                    >> Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)
                    >
                    > I want to see that, myself!

                    It's just a little VAX:

                    http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/index.html

                    I could use a few more VT420 terminals for it.

                    Mike,

                    Yep, I know what it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time.  It's just that I have never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX.  I have always thought that they were neat machines.

                    - Alex
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                      On 09/26/2012 02:57 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                      > Yep, I know what it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time. It's just
                      > that I have never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX. I have always
                      > thought that they were neat machines.

                      My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                      VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                        >On 09/26/2012 02:30 PM, system@... wrote: > Matt
                        >Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes: > >>
                        >--Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type: >>
                        >text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: >>
                        >quoted-printable >> >> Evan, >> >> The 18-19th is also the Early
                        >Television convention in Hilliard, so you >> wou= ld loose some to that
                        >as well.=20 >> >> As for me no problem with the 4-5th. > > May 4-5th
                        >will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course, >
                        >nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
                        >
                        > You guys have the busiest social schedules I've ever seen. ;)

                        The Rites of Spring festival is always the first May weekend. I'm there.
                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                          >On 09/26/2012 02:57 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote: > Yep, I know what
                          >it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time. It's just > that I have
                          >never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX. I have always > thought that
                          >they were neat machines.
                          >
                          > My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                          >VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.

                          Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction libraries
                          for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000; albeit, I never
                          had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.

                          I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I used
                          to develop the VP libraries.
                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                            Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                            >--zYX5Y3GnP3dL2oqth5uuf1s35UxkKtCTHHNJv1d Content-Type: text/plain;
                            >charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                            >
                            >On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:
                            >
                            >> May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of
                            >course, > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
                            >
                            > Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

                            Bring it the following weekend. ;)
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                              On 09/26/2012 04:34 PM, system@... wrote:
                              >> My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                              >> VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.
                              >
                              > Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction libraries
                              > for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000; albeit, I never
                              > had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.

                              Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                              surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                              aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                              Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?

                              > I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I used
                              > to develop the VP libraries.

                              Nice!

                              Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                              New Kensington, PA
                            • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                >On 09/26/2012 04:34 PM, system@... wrote: >> My
                                >VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast" >>
                                >VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.
                                >> > Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction
                                >libraries > for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000;
                                >albeit, I never > had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.
                                >
                                > Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                                >surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                >aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                >Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?

                                Sheesh, I'm brain-fried today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in
                                those anti-dope PSAs. I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past
                                several days. It was the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it
                                was not on the 7000/10000.

                                You still have a nice bit of VAXiron if you have a 7000. How many CPUs
                                does yours have?

                                >> I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I
                                >used > to develop the VP libraries.
                                >
                                > Nice!

                                It's just office wall decor. :)
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                  On 09/26/2012 05:34 PM, system@... wrote:
                                  >> Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                                  >> surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                  >> aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                  >> Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?
                                  >
                                  > Sheesh, I'm brain-fried today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in
                                  > those anti-dope PSAs. I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past
                                  > several days. It was the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it
                                  > was not on the 7000/10000.

                                  Oh ok.

                                  Is this the "query resulting in huge response packet with a forged
                                  source address on your network so the responses come to you" crap? I
                                  fought that shit for a solid week on my friend's network (a small
                                  regional ISP in Florida) about three weeks ago. It SUCKED.

                                  > You still have a nice bit of VAXiron if you have a 7000. How many CPUs
                                  > does yours have?

                                  Three 600s, but I have two 700s and two more 600s that I still have to
                                  test. Now that 800s are starting to come down in price, I may pick up a
                                  few of those. The machine has 1GB of RAM, and a pair of HSJ50s
                                  controlling a small gaggle of drives, in a rack with a star coupler. It
                                  also has a pair of XMI DSSI controllers, but I haven't used those for
                                  anything yet.

                                  Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                  New Kensington, PA
                                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                    >On 09/26/2012 05:34 PM, system@... wrote: >>
                                    >Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually >>
                                    >surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                    >>> aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                    >>> Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI? > > Sheesh, I'm brain-fried
                                    >today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in > those anti-dope PSAs.
                                    >I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past > several days. It was
                                    >the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it > was not on the
                                    >7000/10000.
                                    >
                                    > Oh ok.
                                    >
                                    > Is this the "query resulting in huge response packet with a forged
                                    >source address on your network so the responses come to you" crap? I
                                    >fought that shit for a solid week on my friend's network (a small
                                    >regional ISP in Florida) about three weeks ago. It SUCKED.

                                    This was a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources
                                    were those of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black
                                    Lotus and Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup
                                    of all of RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not!
                                    However, the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure
                                    to diagnose it and then thwart it.
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                      On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote:
                                      > This was a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources
                                      > were those of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black
                                      > Lotus and Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup
                                      > of all of RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not!
                                      > However, the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure
                                      > to diagnose it and then thwart it.

                                      Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.

                                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                      New Kensington, PA
                                    • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                        Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                        >On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote: > This was
                                        >a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources > were those
                                        >of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black > Lotus and
                                        >Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup > of all of
                                        >RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not! > However,
                                        >the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure > to diagnose
                                        >it and then thwart it.
                                        >
                                        > Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.

                                        I've been an advocating the 100kV payload return packet! :)
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                          On 09/26/2012 08:37 PM, system@... wrote:
                                          >> On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote: > This was
                                          >> a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources > were those
                                          >> of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black > Lotus and
                                          >> Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup > of all of
                                          >> RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not! > However,
                                          >> the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure > to diagnose
                                          >> it and then thwart it.
                                          >>
                                          >> Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.
                                          >
                                          > I've been an advocating the 100kV payload return packet! :)

                                          WHAM! I like it!

                                          --
                                          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ