VCF East 9.0

    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 25, 2012
      Forget if I announced this or not -- VCF East 9.0 is May 18-19, 2013. Start planning now. :)
    • Barry L. Kline
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 25, 2012
        On 09/25/2012 04:29 PM, Evan Koblentz wrote:
        > VCF East 9.0 is May 18-19, 2013

        The Dayton Hamvention overlays this weekend. That will definitely cost
        some attendees.

        Barry
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 25, 2012
          On 09/25/2012 05:29 PM, Barry L. Kline wrote:
          >> VCF East 9.0 is May 18-19, 2013
          >
          > The Dayton Hamvention overlays this weekend. That will definitely cost
          > some attendees.

          Yeah, bad idea. I'll be going to Dayton this year and I REALLY don't
          want to miss VCF. :-(

          Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
          New Kensington, PA
        • William Donzelli
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 25, 2012
            > Forget if I announced this or not -- VCF East 9.0 is May 18-19, 2013.
            > Start planning now. :)

            Oh well...

            --
            Will
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 25, 2012
              Here's the situation:

              One important MARCHin told me he's not available May 4-5.

              May 11-12 is Mother's Day weekend.

              May 18-19 has conflicts. I didn't realize that. My mistake.

              May 25-26 is Memorial Day weekend.

              Is anyone else certain that May 4-5 is bad for them? (Let me know immediately, no "maybes", because it's vital that we reserve the space at InfoAge now.)

              No weekend will satisfy everyone. But given the choice, we'll have to do the democratic thing and defer to three veteran members, vs. one.
            • Matt Patoray
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                Evan,

                The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you would loose some to that as well.

                As for me no problem with the 4-5th.

                Matt

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                  Bill,
                  I asked around the computer festival, I could not find anyone with a ///+
                  other than myself. Most people had not even seen one. They are very rare.
                  I have to determine its value before I can offer for a trade or sell it.
                  I get many requests each day, thank you for your patience. Selling and
                  shipping items is a hassle, it has to be worth the trouble.

                  The VCF E has been moved to May 5th weekend. Too many conflicts with the
                  18-19th.

                  Best,

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                    Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes:

                    >--Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type:
                    >text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding:
                    >quoted-printable
                    >
                    >Evan,
                    >
                    >The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you
                    >wou= ld loose some to that as well.=20
                    >
                    >As for me no problem with the 4-5th.

                    May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
                    nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                      On 09/26/2012 02:30 PM, system@... wrote:
                      > Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes:
                      >
                      >> --Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type:
                      >> text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding:
                      >> quoted-printable
                      >>
                      >> Evan,
                      >>
                      >> The 18-19th is also the Early Television convention in Hilliard, so you
                      >> wou= ld loose some to that as well.=20
                      >>
                      >> As for me no problem with the 4-5th.
                      >
                      > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
                      > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

                      You guys have the busiest social schedules I've ever seen. ;)

                      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                      New Kensington, PA
                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                        On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:

                        > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
                        > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

                        Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • J. Alexander Jacocks
                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                          On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                          On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:

                          > May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course,
                          > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)

                          Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

                          Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                          I want to see that, myself!

                          - Alex
                        • Mike Loewen
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                            On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                            > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>wrote:
                            >>
                            >> Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)
                            >
                            > I want to see that, myself!

                            It's just a little VAX:

                            http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/index.html

                            I could use a few more VT420 terminals for it.

                            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                          • J. Alexander Jacocks
                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                              On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:46 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> wrote:

                              On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:

                              > On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 2:37 PM, Mike Loewen <mloewen@...>wrote:
                              >>
                              >> Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)
                              >
                              > I want to see that, myself!

                              It's just a little VAX:

                              http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/VAX/index.html

                              I could use a few more VT420 terminals for it.

                              Mike,

                              Yep, I know what it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time.  It's just that I have never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX.  I have always thought that they were neat machines.

                              - Alex
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                On 09/26/2012 02:57 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote:
                                > Yep, I know what it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time. It's just
                                > that I have never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX. I have always
                                > thought that they were neat machines.

                                My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                                VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.

                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                New Kensington, PA
                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                  >On 09/26/2012 02:30 PM, system@... wrote: > Matt
                                  >Patoray <mspatoray@...> writes: > >>
                                  >--Apple-Mail-B9D18B88-5FE0-49D0-A444-EA076DC78043 Content-Type: >>
                                  >text/plain; charset=utf-8 Content-Transfer-Encoding: >>
                                  >quoted-printable >> >> Evan, >> >> The 18-19th is also the Early
                                  >Television convention in Hilliard, so you >> wou= ld loose some to that
                                  >as well.=20 >> >> As for me no problem with the 4-5th. > > May 4-5th
                                  >will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of course, >
                                  >nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
                                  >
                                  > You guys have the busiest social schedules I've ever seen. ;)

                                  The Rites of Spring festival is always the first May weekend. I'm there.
                                • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                    Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                    >On 09/26/2012 02:57 PM, J. Alexander Jacocks wrote: > Yep, I know what
                                    >it is...I've been a DEC fan for a long time. It's just > that I have
                                    >never had a chance to use a "fast" VAX. I have always > thought that
                                    >they were neat machines.
                                    >
                                    > My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                                    >VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.

                                    Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction libraries
                                    for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000; albeit, I never
                                    had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.

                                    I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I used
                                    to develop the VP libraries.
                                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                      Mike Loewen <mloewen@...> writes:

                                      >--zYX5Y3GnP3dL2oqth5uuf1s35UxkKtCTHHNJv1d Content-Type: text/plain;
                                      >charset=US-ASCII Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
                                      >
                                      >On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, system@... wrote:
                                      >
                                      >> May 4-5th will see my presence elided from the event yet again. Of
                                      >course, > nobody wants me there anyway. ;)
                                      >
                                      > Damn, and I was going to bring my VAX 4000/300. :-)

                                      Bring it the following weekend. ;)
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                        On 09/26/2012 04:34 PM, system@... wrote:
                                        >> My VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast"
                                        >> VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.
                                        >
                                        > Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction libraries
                                        > for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000; albeit, I never
                                        > had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.

                                        Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                                        surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                        aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                        Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?

                                        > I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I used
                                        > to develop the VP libraries.

                                        Nice!

                                        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                        New Kensington, PA
                                      • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                          Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                          >On 09/26/2012 04:34 PM, system@... wrote: >> My
                                          >VAX 7000 came up on the last truckload last week. That is a "fast" >>
                                          >VAX, in a very serious way. I'll let you know when I get it cabled up.
                                          >> > Got any vector processors on it? I wrote VAX vector instruction
                                          >libraries > for my Uncle Sam for use with the 6000s, 7000s and 10000;
                                          >albeit, I never > had the pleasure of getting my hands on a 10000.
                                          >
                                          > Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                                          >surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                          >aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                          >Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?

                                          Sheesh, I'm brain-fried today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in
                                          those anti-dope PSAs. I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past
                                          several days. It was the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it
                                          was not on the 7000/10000.

                                          You still have a nice bit of VAXiron if you have a 7000. How many CPUs
                                          does yours have?

                                          >> I have a DEBNT pinned on my office wall from a VAX 6440 w/2VPs that I
                                          >used > to develop the VP libraries.
                                          >
                                          > Nice!

                                          It's just office wall decor. :)
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                            On 09/26/2012 05:34 PM, system@... wrote:
                                            >> Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually
                                            >> surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                            >> aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                            >> Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI?
                                            >
                                            > Sheesh, I'm brain-fried today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in
                                            > those anti-dope PSAs. I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past
                                            > several days. It was the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it
                                            > was not on the 7000/10000.

                                            Oh ok.

                                            Is this the "query resulting in huge response packet with a forged
                                            source address on your network so the responses come to you" crap? I
                                            fought that shit for a solid week on my friend's network (a small
                                            regional ISP in Florida) about three weeks ago. It SUCKED.

                                            > You still have a nice bit of VAXiron if you have a 7000. How many CPUs
                                            > does yours have?

                                            Three 600s, but I have two 700s and two more 600s that I still have to
                                            test. Now that 800s are starting to come down in price, I may pick up a
                                            few of those. The machine has 1GB of RAM, and a pair of HSJ50s
                                            controlling a small gaggle of drives, in a rack with a star coupler. It
                                            also has a pair of XMI DSSI controllers, but I haven't used those for
                                            anything yet.

                                            Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                            New Kensington, PA
                                          • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                              Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                              >On 09/26/2012 05:34 PM, system@... wrote: >>
                                              >Excellent. But sadly no, no vector unit. This question actually >>
                                              >surprised me; I thought I knew the 7000 family pretty well, but I wasn't
                                              >>> aware that there was a vector option for it. What form does it take?
                                              >>> Does it sit in a LaserBus slot? XMI? > > Sheesh, I'm brain-fried
                                              >today... I feel like the egg on the griddle in > those anti-dope PSAs.
                                              >I've been dealing with a DNS DDoS for the past > several days. It was
                                              >the 9000s and 6000s that supported the VP and it > was not on the
                                              >7000/10000.
                                              >
                                              > Oh ok.
                                              >
                                              > Is this the "query resulting in huge response packet with a forged
                                              >source address on your network so the responses come to you" crap? I
                                              >fought that shit for a solid week on my friend's network (a small
                                              >regional ISP in Florida) about three weeks ago. It SUCKED.

                                              This was a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources
                                              were those of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black
                                              Lotus and Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup
                                              of all of RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not!
                                              However, the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure
                                              to diagnose it and then thwart it.
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                                On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote:
                                                > This was a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources
                                                > were those of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black
                                                > Lotus and Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup
                                                > of all of RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not!
                                                > However, the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure
                                                > to diagnose it and then thwart it.

                                                Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.

                                                Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
                                                New Kensington, PA
                                              • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                                  Dave McGuire <Mcguire@...> writes:

                                                  >On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote: > This was
                                                  >a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources > were those
                                                  >of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black > Lotus and
                                                  >Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup > of all of
                                                  >RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not! > However,
                                                  >the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure > to diagnose
                                                  >it and then thwart it.
                                                  >
                                                  > Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.

                                                  I've been an advocating the 100kV payload return packet! :)
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Sep 26, 2012
                                                    On 09/26/2012 08:37 PM, system@... wrote:
                                                    >> On 09/26/2012 06:25 PM, system@... wrote: > This was
                                                    >> a DNS DDoS reflection attack. The spoofed/feigned sources > were those
                                                    >> of two companies offering DDoS mitigation services (Black > Lotus and
                                                    >> Staminus). They were trying to do a recursive DNS lookup > of all of
                                                    >> RIPE.NET and hoping that my DNS was vulnerable. It's not! > However,
                                                    >> the traffic was still maddening. It took creative measure > to diagnose
                                                    >> it and then thwart it.
                                                    >>
                                                    >> Nice. It should be legal to break these peoples' fingers.
                                                    >
                                                    > I've been an advocating the 100kV payload return packet! :)

                                                    WHAM! I like it!

                                                    --
                                                    Dave McGuire, AK4HZ