DC 100A Tape Belts

  • joshbensadon
    Message 1 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
      Hi,

      Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement belts for these old DC 100A tapes? Inside the actual tape there's a belt that drives the reels and they've snapped on two tapes. The belt measures 9.568" by 0.100" by 0.003" thick.

      Thanks,
      Josh
      Message 2 of 19 , Sep 14, 2012
        Pyramid makes custom belts.
        --
        Sent from my PDP 8/e.
      • s100doctor
        Message 3 of 19 , Sep 24, 2012
          joshbensadon wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement belts for these old DC 100A tapes? Inside the actual tape there's a belt that drives the reels and they've snapped on two tapes. The belt measures 9.568" by 0.100" by 0.003" thick.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Josh

          Bill Degnan replied with a reference to a company that makes cloth and rubber belts, such as those used to drive a diskette drive spindle from a motor. Josh is referring to a rubber belt inside the tape cartridge. It is not rubberized cloth. This further description may be more helpful.

          I've had tape cartridges which have had broken belts as Josh describes. The rubber simply rots and breaks. Offhand, I've not tried repair. Other than trying a belt from another tape (which could break), you might see if you can find rubber bands of about the same dimensions, see if those work. PLease report results here, negative or positive.

          Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 19 , Sep 24, 2012

            > joshbensadon wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi,
            > >
            > > Does anyone know where I can buy some replacement belts for these old
            DC 100A tapes? Inside the actual tape there's a belt that drives the reels
            and they've snapped on two tapes. The belt measures 9.568" by 0.100" by
            0.003" thick.

            > > Thanks,
            > > Josh
            >

            > Bill Degnan replied with a reference to a company that makes cloth and
            rubber belts, such as those used to drive a diskette drive spindle from a
            motor. Josh is referring to a rubber belt inside the tape cartridge. It is
            not rubberized cloth. This further description may be more helpful.

            > I've had tape cartridges which have had broken belts as Josh describes.
            The rubber simply rots and breaks. Offhand, I've not tried repair. Other
            than trying a belt from another tape (which could break), you might see if
            you can find rubber bands of about the same dimensions, see if those work.
            PLease report results here, negative or positive.

            > Herb Johnson

            You might want to call them anyway.

            Bill
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 19 , Sep 24, 2012
              > and they've snapped on two tapes. The belt measures 9.568" by 0.100" by
              > 0.003" thick.
              >
              > You might want to call them anyway.
              >
              > Bill

              I have written them for a quote, but have not received any response.
              Perhaps a phone call will work better.
              I found another company that made two belts for me, but they were quite expensive ($20 each) and I failed to give them the right dimensions (only 9.5"), so their belts are too tight or perhaps made of the wrong material that doesn't stretch a little?

              I was hoping these belts might be a stocked item somewhere?

              Perhaps as Herb said, the right rubber band stretched to the right size might provide the right amount of grip and pressure to keep the tape tension. I'll have to get back to playing with this, but first I really have to clean up my basement, it's gotten to be quite a mess.

              Cheers,
              Josh
            • s100doctor
              Message 6 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012
                > I have written them for a quote, but have not received any response.
                > Perhaps a phone call will work better.
                > >
                > > You might want to call [Pyramid] anyway [about belts].
                > >
                > > Bill
                >
                > I found another company that made two belts for me, but they were quite expensive ($20 each) and I failed to give them the right dimensions (only 9.5"), so their belts are too tight or perhaps made of the wrong material that doesn't stretch a little?
                >
                > I was hoping these belts might be a stocked item somewhere?
                >
                > Perhaps as Herb said, the right rubber band stretched to the right size might provide the right amount of grip and pressure to keep the tape tension. I'll have to get back to playing with this, but first I really have to clean up my basement, it's gotten to be quite a mess.
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Josh

                Belts are difficult to "source". They are a challenge to measure, and you have to know the materials. Ideally you get direct replacements, from vendors who know the product that broke. That won't happen now, the beltmakers generally don't know about the products.

                Again, the belts INSIDE the DC-100 tapes and other cartridge tapes, are rubber not cloth, to the best of my recollection. Getting another belt from another tape won't work, it just screws up that tape, and it may break in the process anyway. They won't all be the same except by brand and model tape.

                another engineer suggested to me a source of stock belts: "W. M. Berg. They have a huge catalog" of belts and other widgets.

                But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched too far it likely will have too much tension.

                But offhand, you may have to find some other DC-100A tapes. I'll see what I have and look at my broken belt tapes.

                Herb Johnson
                engineering advice, 5 cents please
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012

                  > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched too far it likely will have too much tension.

                  Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
                  If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.

                  I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
                  It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good. I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the reels.

                  I'll also start shopping around at those other places.

                  Cheers,
                  Josh
                  Message 8 of 19 , Sep 27, 2012
                    > > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply
                    stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched too
                    far it likely will have too much tension.

                    > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
                    > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.
                    >
                    > I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's
                    rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
                    > It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square
                    belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it
                    looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good.
                    I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time
                    permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the
                    reels.

                    > I'll also start shopping around at those other places.

                    I found a place, don't remember the name, where they sent me a sampler box
                    of various sizes of rubber bands. I used these for various attempts to
                    replace belts. Sometimes worked, but never for long.

                    Bill
                  • Barry L. Kline
                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 1, 2012
                      On 09/27/2012 09:47 PM, joshbensadon wrote:
                      > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
                      > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.

                      Another possibility for you would be to consider rubber "O" rings. They
                      don't have the same stretchiness as do rubber bands and that might be to
                      your advantage. I know that these 'O' rings were used in my Heathkit
                      amateur transceivers to turn capacitors for tuning and they'd probably
                      be the cat's meow for this purpose as well.

                      You can find these at farm supply stores, or failing that look at any of
                      the pinball supply websites where you can purchase these in black,
                      white, yellow and perhaps other colors.

                      Regards,

                      Barry
                    • joshbensadon
                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 1, 2012
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Barry L. Kline" <blkline@...> wrote:

                        > Another possibility for you would be to consider rubber "O" rings. They
                        > don't have the same stretchiness as do rubber bands and that might be to
                        > your advantage. I know that these 'O' rings were used in my

                        Thanks Barry, I was thinking the same thing. However I would need to slice these O rings into a Flat Belt. The space between the reels is very limited (between 1/16 to 1/8). The original belt is only 0.004" thick. I was thinking to try slicing an O-Ring, carefully with a sharp xacto knife. Might take me a few O-Rings to get it right. Next I was thinking to get a sheet of Rubber, 0.1" thick (desired belt width), and just carve out my own flat belts.

                        I just found a flat belt for $4 from someone in Michigan. It's a rubber belt 9.4". I'm hoping it will stretch to 9.58" without putting too much tension on the drive roller. I'll let everyone know next week.

                        Cheers and thanks for the great ideas!!!

                        Josh
                      • Mike Hatch
                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                          Hi,

                          I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                          DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.

                          Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                          all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                          http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in the UK.

                          Mike.

                          On 28/09/2012 02:47, joshbensadon wrote:
                          > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, "s100doctor" <hjohnson@...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >

                          > > But rubber bands of all sizes can be found in various office supply
                          > stores. You need one "close" to the length you broke, if it's stretched
                          > too far it likely will have too much tension.
                          >
                          > Thanks Herb, but your advice is worth lots more than 5 cents.
                          > If you do have some DC100A tapes, consider them sold.
                          >
                          > I tried 1 rubber band, about 1/2 the length of the original because it's
                          > rubber and streches much more than the original vinal? belts.
                          > It didn't stay on the rollers, but that might be because it was a square
                          > belt instead of flat. But I will say, for the time it did stay on, it
                          > looked very promising! The tape moved smoothly, the tension felt good.
                          > I'll find some more flat rubber bands and give them a try when time
                          > permits. The flatter, the better, there isn't a lot of space between the
                          > reels.
                          >
                          > I'll also start shopping around at those other places.
                          >
                          > Cheers,
                          > Josh

                        • joshbensadon
                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                            > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                            >
                            > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                            > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                            > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in the UK.
                            >
                            > Mike.

                            Hi Mike,

                            I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape. Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.

                            I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost to mail them to Canada?

                            Cheers,
                            Josh
                          • Mike Hatch
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                              Hi, Josh.

                              I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                              you want it via the group ?.

                              Mike.
                              mike@...

                              On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
                              > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                              > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Hi,
                              > >
                              > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                              > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                              > >
                              > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                              > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                              > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
                              > the UK.
                              > >
                              > > Mike.
                              >
                              > Hi Mike,
                              >
                              > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
                              > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
                              > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
                              > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
                              > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
                              >
                              > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
                              > to mail them to Canada?
                              >
                              > Cheers,
                              > Josh

                            • joshbensadon
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 2, 2012
                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                                > Hi, Josh.
                                >
                                > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                                > you want it via the group ?.
                                >
                                > Mike.
                                > mike@...

                                Thanks! and email to: j.o.s.h-b.e.n.s.a.d.o.n @ yahoo.com by removing the dots and dashes from my name (the spam bots might be watching us?).
                              • joshbensadon
                                Message 15 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012
                                  Update:

                                  I received some belts from KEN's ELECTRONIC PARTS, in KALAMAZOO, MI.

                                  They fit great but don't work perfectly. The belts are 9.5" long, .1" wide but are 0.033" thick! The original belts are only 0.003" thick.

                                  When the spools are close to each other, the belt start rubbing in the middle (photo available upon request).

                                  The tape is 140' long. I would guess for the first 20', it works great but at that point, the take up spool has grown more in diameter than the supply has shrunk and the belt starts rubbing.

                                  It might work if I shrink the tape to 100' (or less?), but I'm not sure what effect this will have on the HP-9825?

                                  I'm not familiar with the HP-9825, but I believe there is a "Save Machine State" command, but how much tape is required?

                                  :) Josh
                                • philippe_elie
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                    Hi guys,

                                    I just came across this group, and see that I am not alone having trouble for old DC100A cartridges.... I just bought a HP85 which is working OK except that it kills each and every cartridge I'm putting into the drive... I fixed the gummy wheel which now appears to be working fine but I guess that the rubber belts within the cartridges are now so sold they cannot stand the tension created by the drive..

                                    I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
                                    I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

                                    thanks in advance for your feedback
                                    kind regards,

                                    Philippe
                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Mike Hatch <mike@...> wrote:

                                    > Hi, Josh.
                                    >
                                    > I'll find out shipping to Canada and let you know, got an email ? unless
                                    > you want it via the group ?.
                                    >
                                    > Mike.
                                    > mike@...
                                    >
                                    > On 02/10/2012 13:59, joshbensadon wrote:
                                    > > --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
                                    > > <mailto:midatlanticretro%40yahoogroups.com>, Mike Hatch <mike@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Hi,
                                    > > >
                                    > > > I've had rubber bands work well on 3in floppy drive but the belts in a
                                    > > > DC100A are very thin, cutting something down would difficult.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Should anybody want them I have 11 DC100A (2 new sealed, 9 used once,
                                    > > > all boxed) from a PWS Colt memory tester see -
                                    > > > http://www.soemtron.org/stockdisposalmisc.html - they are located in
                                    > > the UK.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Mike.
                                    > >
                                    > > Hi Mike,
                                    > >
                                    > > I bought 2 new ones and tried moving the belt from them to an old tape.
                                    > > Being very careful, these belts still snapped. I thought they were
                                    > > different lengths, but i measured the pulley's and they are the same
                                    > > size and spacing. One belt snapped after 1 minute of tape use, the other
                                    > > snapped as I lifted out a pulley and the reel.
                                    > >
                                    > > I'd like to buy 2 more (used are fine) from you, how much would it cost
                                    > > to mail them to Canada?
                                    > >
                                    > > Cheers,
                                    > > Josh

                                  • joshbensadon
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "philippe_elie" <philippe-elie@...> wrote:

                                      > I'd be glad if someone can sell me cartridges - I unfortunately lost an eBay auction advertising 9 new cartridges :( - or point me towards someone whose is wiling to sell out some of his stock...
                                      > I emailed Mike at soemtron yesterday as it was mentioned in this group that they have 2 new to sell but I think they are gone already (while they still show on their website).

                                      I don't think even new tapes will help. I bought 2 new tapes, in their original plastic. I opened them up like a kid on Christmas, then tried to remove the belt and transfer it to an old tape. The first one broke as I opened the case, I guess one of the wheels got caught on the top lid? I opened the 2nd tape more carefully, but when I tried to lift the belt off one of the rollers, that belt just ripped.

                                      There is no solution, but to buy new belts. I am in the process of finding and ordering some new belts, perhaps you would like to split the bill with me and go 50/50?

                                      Cheers,
                                      Josh
                                    • Dave
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                        cricklewood electronics have a range of belts

                                        http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269

                                        Dave Wade G4UGM
                                        Illegitimi Non Carborundum

                                      • joshbensadon
                                        Message 19 of 19 , Nov 5, 2012
                                          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Dave" <dave.g4ugm@...> wrote:

                                          > cricklewood electronics have a range of belts
                                          >
                                          > http://www.cricklewoodelectronics.com/Cricklewood/home.php?cat=269
                                          >

                                          > Dave Wade G4UGM
                                          > Illegitimi Non Carborundum

                                          Thanks Dave, Good to know! I checked their inventory and they don't have the right size, but always good to know where to go!