Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Lunch Quiz - Which micro was fastest?

  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Sep 11, 2012
      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

      >> > Bob Flanders <bob.flanders@...> writes: > > >A couple of
      >things would be interesting... > > > >1. The same tests in assembly. > >
      >Methinks you'd have a difficult time getting Z80 assembly to run > on
      >the 65xx based systems and vice versa. > > This is the problem with
      >benchmarking. Apples (not the computer) > and oranges are difficult to
      >objectively quantify. > > > > >2. The same tests w/o print ... I/O could
      >> >be the slow part. > > I was going to comment on the I/O part of this
      >"test" yesterday. > > How about some long computation with output of a
      >single result. > A Simpson approximation of some integral might be a
      >good choice > as it can be implemented with simple BASIC functions and
      >loops. >
      >
      >Sounds great. Go ahead and do it next time you're at InfoAge. Set up
      >the program in advance so you only have to type it in on all four
      >computers so that they can be executed at the same time. Leave a
      >printout in the room so we can repeat the test in the future, or add to
      >it.

      I've not written much BASIC. The only BASIC that I ever wrote was on my
      Sharp EL5500 which I acquired at the end of graduate school. If there's
      a BASIC LRM for each of these systems so that a program could be written
      to accomodate the available syntax for all, I might do what you've asked.
      As a BS/MSEE, I wrote Fortran and assembler, but never any BASIC save for
      that EL5500.