re: [midatlanticretro] Re: what is the modern replacement part for a tant cap 47uf 20% 35v

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012

      > I agree it looks good, but when in question it's time to test.
      >
      > Does anyone near you have a capacitance meter? or if you have a scope,
      check the ripple? If you were near the Toronto area, I'd say come over and
      borrow my meter. I also have an ESR meter, but I can't say how well it
      works (it's home made).

      > Cheers,
      > Josh

      I agree with you both, I have not tested this component yet and it does not
      look damaged. My evidence is circumstantial.
      bd
    • joshbensadon
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
        > I agree with you both, I have not tested this component yet and it does not
        > look damaged. My evidence is circumstantial.
        > bd

        I often just tack a 2nd capacitor in parallel, on the solder side, to view the effect and/or remove doubt, then proceed to track down other problems and in the end the 2nd cap either gets removed or a suitable replacement gets installed or I get lazy and just leave it there :(

        Josh
      • Matt Patoray
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
          If a Tant cap is suspect REPLACE IT, unlike modern electrolytics which normally fail OPEN tants become a DEAD SHORT. In the 90's my buddy worked for Prime image, they used tants because they where the smallest caps available for a given voltage and capacitance, he said when they failed they would burn a hole right through the multilayer PCB rendering it entirely unfixable!

          If it is in the linear  power supply any high quality high temp cap like Panasonic would be good. If it is a switcher get a Low ESR cap, might as well go with a 50 or 63 volt one while you are at it!

          Matt

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

            > If a Tant cap is suspect REPLACE IT, unlike modern electrolytics which normally fail OPEN tants become a DEAD SHORT. In the 90's my

            Very good point, I've seen them blow up too.