what is the modern replacement part for a tant cap 47uf 20% 35v

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
      as a general rule what is the best modern replacement part for a tant cap,
      in particular a 47uf 20% 35v?.

      Thanks

      bd
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
        On 09/06/2012 05:38 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
        > as a general rule what is the best modern replacement part for a tant cap,
        > in particular a 47uf 20% 35v?.

        Tantalum capacitors are still considered to be quite "modern", however
        (as I learned thanks to Dan's prodding) I have become quite happy with
        aluminum organic polymer capacitors. Be sure to look at the application
        to see if ESR is important; that's even more important than the actual
        capacitance in many applications.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012

          > On 09/06/2012 05:38 PM, B. Degnan wrote:
          > > as a general rule what is the best modern replacement part for a tant
          cap,
          > > in particular a 47uf 20% 35v?.
          >
          > Tantalum capacitors are still considered to be quite "modern", however
          > (as I learned thanks to Dan's prodding) I have become quite happy with
          > aluminum organic polymer capacitors. Be sure to look at the application
          > to see if ESR is important; that's even more important than the actual
          > capacitance in many applications.
          >
          > -Dave

          Thanks. I know that this has come up before. I know a little about the
          older components, but even less about the new ones.

          Here is the cap in question, it's the board that goes between the
          controller and the hard drive in a Visual 1050 external hard drive
          enclosure.

          http://vintagecomputer.net/visualtechnology/1050/Visual_1050_Winch-drive_Ont
          el-controller_cap.jpg

          Bill
        • David Gesswein
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
            On Thu, Sep 06, 2012 at 08:34:59PM -0400, B. Degnan wrote:

            > > Tantalum capacitors are still considered to be quite "modern", however
            > > (as I learned thanks to Dan's prodding) I have become quite happy with
            > > aluminum organic polymer capacitors. Be sure to look at the application
            > > to see if ESR is important; that's even more important than the actual
            > > capacitance in many applications.
            > >
            > > -Dave
            > >

            > Thanks. I know that this has come up before. I know a little about the
            > older components, but even less about the new ones.
            >
            > Here is the cap in question, it's the board that goes between the
            > controller and the hard drive in a Visual 1050 external hard drive
            > enclosure.
            >
            > http://vintagecomputer.net/visualtechnology/1050/Visual_1050_Winch-drive_Ont
            > el-controller_cap.jpg

            Why are you replacing it? That looks like the high reliability hermetic
            style and has no visual damage.

            From the picture it appears to be generic filtering on the input power rails.
            Likely anything you have around with similar capacitance and voltage will
            work fine.

            Like he said the polymer ones are supposed to be good but a quick look
            didn't show them in axial. It appears that easily available capacitors
            similar to yours are available in tantaum and aluminum. A high quality
            long life aluminum will still probably last long enough that you won't
            be replacing it.
          • joshbensadon
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 6, 2012
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:
              > Why are you replacing it? That looks like the high reliability hermetic
              > style and has no visual damage.

              I agree it looks good, but when in question it's time to test.

              Does anyone near you have a capacitance meter? or if you have a scope, check the ripple? If you were near the Toronto area, I'd say come over and borrow my meter. I also have an ESR meter, but I can't say how well it works (it's home made).

              Cheers,
              Josh
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012

                > I agree it looks good, but when in question it's time to test.
                >
                > Does anyone near you have a capacitance meter? or if you have a scope,
                check the ripple? If you were near the Toronto area, I'd say come over and
                borrow my meter. I also have an ESR meter, but I can't say how well it
                works (it's home made).

                > Cheers,
                > Josh

                I agree with you both, I have not tested this component yet and it does not
                look damaged. My evidence is circumstantial.
                bd
              • joshbensadon
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
                  > I agree with you both, I have not tested this component yet and it does not
                  > look damaged. My evidence is circumstantial.
                  > bd

                  I often just tack a 2nd capacitor in parallel, on the solder side, to view the effect and/or remove doubt, then proceed to track down other problems and in the end the 2nd cap either gets removed or a suitable replacement gets installed or I get lazy and just leave it there :(

                  Josh
                • Matt Patoray
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
                    If a Tant cap is suspect REPLACE IT, unlike modern electrolytics which normally fail OPEN tants become a DEAD SHORT. In the 90's my buddy worked for Prime image, they used tants because they where the smallest caps available for a given voltage and capacitance, he said when they failed they would burn a hole right through the multilayer PCB rendering it entirely unfixable!

                    If it is in the linear  power supply any high quality high temp cap like Panasonic would be good. If it is a switcher get a Low ESR cap, might as well go with a 50 or 63 volt one while you are at it!

                    Matt

                    Sent from my iPhone

                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 7, 2012
                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Matt Patoray <mspatoray@...> wrote:

                      > If a Tant cap is suspect REPLACE IT, unlike modern electrolytics which normally fail OPEN tants become a DEAD SHORT. In the 90's my

                      Very good point, I've seen them blow up too.