Re: [midatlanticretro] Maker Faire

  • Jeffrey Brace
    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 3, 2012
      Whoops ! That was meant as a private e-mail. I guess I won’t use the web
      interface again !

      Sorry about that everyone.
      Message 2 of 27 , Jul 17 9:23 AM
        MARCHins,

        We always seem to be one event ahead! Planning for VCF East during TCF,
        a workshop during VCF, HOPE during a workshop, and now World Maker Faire
        during HOPE...

        Turns our WMF (formerly "New York" Maker Faire) has a July 20
        application deadline. That's this weekend!!

        To make sure we're covered, I applied with the exhibit title, "Online
        Before Internet". This way we can have a generic demo of 1960s, 1970s,
        and 1980s computers, and we can show how people when "online" using
        teletypes, terminals, and dial-up modems -- mostly alien concepts for
        the audience (especially children) to which Maker Faire caters.

        This gives us freedom to bring any vintage computers we want. Leeway = good.

        I also requested an indoor space, 10x20 sq. ft., preferably on the
        ground floor, and I told them we may have special power requirements.
      • rahwayflynn
        Message 3 of 27 , Jul 17 9:29 AM
          Evan,
          Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

          Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

          Martin.

          Message 4 of 27 , Jul 17 9:30 AM
            > Evan,
            > Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.
            >
            > Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies
            > here the modems train and connect.
            >
            > Martin.

            Will do! Thanks
          • s100doctor
            Message 5 of 27 , Jul 18 12:52 PM

              ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <maflynn@...> wrote :

              Evan,
              Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

              Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

              Martin.

              Can you contact me privately for details about this "box"? Reply via my retrotechnology.com Web site.

              Herb Johnson

              Message 6 of 27 , Jul 30 1:11 PM
                It's a just a technicality, but, I got an email last night saying that
                our exhibit proposal for World Maker Faire has been accepted. (Pretty
                easy when your organization exhibited in every year of the event's
                existence and when your references are the same people who approve the
                exhibits.)

                Refresher: the proposal was "Online Before the Internet". That way we
                can bring an assortment of minis, homebrew systems, and 8-bit stuff, and
                show people how we connected to information silos by using teletypes,
                terminals, and dial-up modems.
              • Martin A Flynn
                Message 7 of 27 , Jul 30 5:38 PM
                  Evan,
                  Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                  I have a  Multitech MTCBA cellular modem on Verizon that has a serial port if someone wants to install heavy metal on one of the spare HP thin client floating around.

                  Given enough time, I can probally find a Telebyte 65A RS-232 to Current Loop Converter Model to address the machine interface as well.

                  Martin Flynn

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jul 30 5:48 PM
                    >> Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                    Nah. It's a neat hack but we want to show something authentic. Showing the "Shredz 64" clone of Guitar Hero backfired a few years ago when kids started thinking that's how we played GH back in the 80s.  :)