Maker Faire

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 16, 1934
      MARCHins,

      We always seem to be one event ahead! Planning for VCF East during TCF,
      a workshop during VCF, HOPE during a workshop, and now World Maker Faire
      during HOPE...

      Turns our WMF (formerly "New York" Maker Faire) has a July 20
      application deadline. That's this weekend!!

      To make sure we're covered, I applied with the exhibit title, "Online
      Before Internet". This way we can have a generic demo of 1960s, 1970s,
      and 1980s computers, and we can show how people when "online" using
      teletypes, terminals, and dial-up modems -- mostly alien concepts for
      the audience (especially children) to which Maker Faire caters.

      This gives us freedom to bring any vintage computers we want. Leeway = good.

      I also requested an indoor space, 10x20 sq. ft., preferably on the
      ground floor, and I told them we may have special power requirements.
    • rahwayflynn
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 16, 1934
        Evan,
        Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

        Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

        Martin.

        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 16, 1934
          > Evan,
          > Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.
          >
          > Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies
          > here the modems train and connect.
          >
          > Martin.

          Will do! Thanks
        • s100doctor
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 17, 1934

            ---In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, <maflynn@...> wrote :

            Evan,
            Hit jeff harshman or myself up if you need a telephone line simulator.

            Box provides dial tone to a pair of modems so you can let the kiddies here the modems train and connect.

            Martin.

            Can you contact me privately for details about this "box"? Reply via my retrotechnology.com Web site.

            Herb Johnson

            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 29, 1934
              It's a just a technicality, but, I got an email last night saying that
              our exhibit proposal for World Maker Faire has been accepted. (Pretty
              easy when your organization exhibited in every year of the event's
              existence and when your references are the same people who approve the
              exhibits.)

              Refresher: the proposal was "Online Before the Internet". That way we
              can bring an assortment of minis, homebrew systems, and 8-bit stuff, and
              show people how we connected to information silos by using teletypes,
              terminals, and dial-up modems.
            • Martin A Flynn
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 29, 1934
                Evan,
                Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                I have a  Multitech MTCBA cellular modem on Verizon that has a serial port if someone wants to install heavy metal on one of the spare HP thin client floating around.

                Given enough time, I can probally find a Telebyte 65A RS-232 to Current Loop Converter Model to address the machine interface as well.

                Martin Flynn

                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 29, 1934
                  >> Any thought on interfacing a cellphone to an ASCII teletype to receive / send SMS messages on an teletype?

                  Nah. It's a neat hack but we want to show something authentic. Showing the "Shredz 64" clone of Guitar Hero backfired a few years ago when kids started thinking that's how we played GH back in the 80s.  :)
                • Jeffrey Brace
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 3, 1936
                    Whoops ! That was meant as a private e-mail. I guess I won’t use the web
                    interface again !

                    Sorry about that everyone.