Re: [midatlanticretro] SVR4 and VirtualBox

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2012
      On 08/29/2012 10:33 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
      > I recently spent a couple of evenings archiving about 80 5-1/4"
      > diskettes from 1991 with ESIX 4.0.3A (SVR4). I'm trying to get an ESIX
      > installation running under VirtualBox 4.1 (Linux), but haven't had any
      > luck. I can boot from the first diskette image, which tne prompts to
      > insert the 2nd and 3rd diskettes. After the 3rd diskette is done, after a
      > short while it PANICs and throws a kernel mode trap. I've played around
      > with the virtual machine settings, and it seems to object to the IDE
      > controller.
      >
      > Has anyone gotten an x86 SVR4 installation running under VirtualBox?

      I have not, but when I moved to a virtualized infrastructure for a
      consulting gig a few years ago, I went with VMware (ESXi in this case)
      because I needed to run SCO Openserver 5, which Just Will Not Run(tm)
      under VirtualBox. This may be a similar situation.

      If you can share your ESIX disks (please?? =)) I will try it on my
      VMware host machine here and report back.

      Dave McGuire, AK4HZ