SVR4 and VirtualBox

  • Mike Loewen
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2012
      I recently spent a couple of evenings archiving about 80 5-1/4"
      diskettes from 1991 with ESIX 4.0.3A (SVR4). I'm trying to get an ESIX
      installation running under VirtualBox 4.1 (Linux), but haven't had any
      luck. I can boot from the first diskette image, which tne prompts to
      insert the 2nd and 3rd diskettes. After the 3rd diskette is done, after a
      short while it PANICs and throws a kernel mode trap. I've played around
      with the virtual machine settings, and it seems to object to the IDE
      controller.

      Has anyone gotten an x86 SVR4 installation running under VirtualBox?

      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2012
        On 08/29/2012 10:33 PM, Mike Loewen wrote:
        > I recently spent a couple of evenings archiving about 80 5-1/4"
        > diskettes from 1991 with ESIX 4.0.3A (SVR4). I'm trying to get an ESIX
        > installation running under VirtualBox 4.1 (Linux), but haven't had any
        > luck. I can boot from the first diskette image, which tne prompts to
        > insert the 2nd and 3rd diskettes. After the 3rd diskette is done, after a
        > short while it PANICs and throws a kernel mode trap. I've played around
        > with the virtual machine settings, and it seems to object to the IDE
        > controller.
        >
        > Has anyone gotten an x86 SVR4 installation running under VirtualBox?

        I have not, but when I moved to a virtualized infrastructure for a
        consulting gig a few years ago, I went with VMware (ESXi in this case)
        because I needed to run SCO Openserver 5, which Just Will Not Run(tm)
        under VirtualBox. This may be a similar situation.

        If you can share your ESIX disks (please?? =)) I will try it on my
        VMware host machine here and report back.

        Dave McGuire, AK4HZ