Trouble

  • David Larsen
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
      Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency
      but I just have to let you know my present predicament. I made an
      urgent trip to Madrid, Spain. Everything was fine until I was attacked
      on my way back to the hotel, I wasn't hurt but I lost my money, bank
      cards, mobile phone and my bag in the course of this attack. I
      immediately contacted my bank in order to block my cards and also made
      a report at the nearest police station. I've been to the embassy and
      they are helping me with my documentation so i can fly out but I'm
      urgently in need of some money to pay for my hotel bills and my flight
      ticket home, will PAY BACK as soon as i get back home.

      Kindly let me know if you would be able to help me out so I can
      forward you the details required for a wire transfer. I will expect
      your response soon.

      --
      David Larsen
      LCF Group, Floyd Virginia
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
        >> Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency

        ... And here we go with an infamous spam message. I emailed David to inform him, back where he's safe and sound in West Virginia.
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
          This sounds like a scam.

          > Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency
          > but I just have to let you know my present predicament. I made an
          > urgent trip to Madrid, Spain. Everything was fine until I was attacked
          > on my way back to the hotel, I wasn't hurt but I lost my money, bank
          > cards, mobile phone and my bag in the course of this attack. I
          > immediately contacted my bank in order to block my cards and also made
          > a report at the nearest police station. I've been to the embassy and
          > they are helping me with my documentation so i can fly out but I'm
          > urgently in need of some money to pay for my hotel bills and my flight
          > ticket home, will PAY BACK as soon as i get back home.
          >
          > Kindly let me know if you would be able to help me out so I can
          > forward you the details required for a wire transfer. I will expect
          > your response soon.
          >
          > --
          > David Larsen
          > LCF Group, Floyd Virginia

        • Bob Schwier
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
            Back when everything was done by snail mail, this type of scam was called the Spanish
            Letter.  The Nigerians just updated it to a new technology.
            I wondered about it when I saw it.
            bs

            >> Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency

            ... And here we go with an infamous spam message. I emailed David to inform him, back where he's safe and sound in West Virginia.

          • Ray Sills
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
              On Aug 16, 2012, at 8:14 AM, David Larsen wrote:

              > Just hoping this email reaches you well, I'm sorry for this emergency
              > but I just have to let you know my present predicament. I made an
              > urgent trip to Madrid, Spain.

              <snip>

              The sad truth is that there likely is -someone- out there who would
              respond to this obvious scam.

              73 de Ray
            • Ray Sills
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
                BTW.... there appears to be no way to report to Gmail that someone is
                using a Gmail address to defraud. Some email providers have a simple
                address, like "fraud@..." where you can forward a suspect email.
                Could not find that -anywhere- on Google's site.

                No biggie for me... I just delete stuff. But why make things easy for
                a crook? They deserve to be prosecuted.

                73 de Ray

                EOT.
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
                  Let's not make this into a big off-topic thread .... Thank you.