Tech day / holiday party

    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 15, 2012
      Everyone,

      We're not able to have another tech weekend in September/October for a
      variety of logistical reasons. So, we're going to have a hybrid event on
      December 8-9. We'll start early on December 8 (Saturday) as a tech day.
      Then late at night we'll start partying and continue on December 9
      (Sunday). We'll also open the event to IXR, whose lab is adjacent to the
      event room.

      I know there will be some people who are unavailable that weekend --
      that happens for every event, especially in December -- and to those
      people I apologize. But, I hope everyone can attend.

      As we did last time, we'll collect $10/person for InfoAge.

      MARCH will not be able to cover food/drinks this time -- it was too much
      money last time. The event will be "bring your own everything".
    • s100doctor
      Message 2 of 23 , Aug 18, 2012

        > Everyone,
        >
        > We're not able to have another tech weekend in September/October for a
        > variety of logistical reasons. So, we're going to have a hybrid event on
        > December 8-9. We'll start early on December 8 (Saturday) as a tech day.
        > Then late at night we'll start partying and continue on December 9
        > (Sunday). We'll also open the event to IXR, whose lab is adjacent to the
        > event room.
        >
        > I know there will be some people who are unavailable that weekend --
        > that happens for every event, especially in December -- and to those
        > people I apologize. But, I hope everyone can attend.
        >
        > As we did last time, we'll collect $10/person for InfoAge.
        >
        > MARCH will not be able to cover food/drinks this time -- it was too much
        > money last time. The event will be "bring your own everything".

        Evan, I think it's a bad idea, to turn a successful one-evening December holiday party with bring-your-own food and drink; into a two-day, stay-over, work and play event. I thought about "explaining" the last two events we had - the 2011 Holiday party, the May/June fix-it event, and how they succeeded despite this or that. Then how combining the two would NOT work.

        But nobody reads Herb Johnson's long emails. Participants can just search their own memories. Here's the Powerpoint version of the objections.

        * Wanna forage for food during a snowstorm? Or bring two days of food to share with hungry hackers? Or load up a car or drive a truck of stuff through snow and sleet?

        * Wanna spend overnight in a under-heated room? How's the heat in there? (footnote; I had to personally open up the A/C vents in the May/June event). That room doesn't even have *three-prong AC outlets*!

        * Wanna party all night AND work on prickly vintage electronics during the day? I'm too old for all of that. (Others can use me as an excuse for their similar limitations.)

        * Holiday parties are social events. Food is part of social events. Therefore food is part of a holiday party. Who goes to a party where you have to work AND bring your own food?

        * Working on computers is not primarily a social event; it requires focus and persistence and attention. That's not a holiday party, dude.

        Bottom line:

        Part of the holiday party included some repair but nothing "heavy".

        Part of the fix-it event was social, but things got FIXED. because people brought what was needed for that.

        Those events were successful as focused events and seasonal-based.

        Combining the two plays against strengths and bumps up on limitations.

        Herb Johnson
        Message 3 of 23 , Aug 19, 2012
          I am at the beach but quickly .... Evan can we put the workshop in a separate room that is dedicated to two days of work with good electricity and no food/drink, and have the festivus near by/independent/concurrent? Herb makes good (power) points.

          Or rather than a workshop I have always wanted to make a set of march instructional videos...we would set up a video station and people could demo how tos
          --
          Sent from my PDP 8/e.
          Message 4 of 23 , Aug 20, 2012
            > I am at the beach but quickly .... Evan can we put the workshop in a separate room that is dedicated to two days of work with good electricity and no food/drink, and have the festivus near by/independent/concurrent? Herb makes good (power) points.

            There's only one room available, unless IXR offers to let us share their
            adjacent room for the weekend.
            Message 5 of 23 , Aug 22, 2012
              Let's have an informal vote.

              Vote "party" if you'd rather have our traditional VC Festivus.

              Vote "workshop" if you'd rather have another tech weekend.

              Vote "hybrid" if you'd like one day of tech work and a second day of
              partying.

              I abstain -- all of the above are fine with me. (If "workshop" wins,
              then maybe for dinner we could all go to a nice restaurant, maybe the
              same place we went to for VCF this spring, rather than the usual
              pizza/BBQ, considering the cold weather. And we can still have an
              informal afterparty back at the cottage.)

              Regardless of which approach wins, we're looking at December 8-9.
            • Jeffrey Brace
              Message 6 of 23 , Aug 22, 2012
                Message 7 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                  On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57:13PM -0400, Evan Koblentz wrote:
                  > Let's have an informal vote.

                  Workshop
                • J. Alexander Jacocks
                  Message 8 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                    On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 11:57 PM, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                    Let's have an informal vote.

                    Vote "party" if you'd rather have our traditional VC Festivus.

                    Vote "workshop" if you'd rather have another tech weekend.

                    Vote "hybrid" if you'd like one day of tech work and a second day of
                    partying.

                    Workshop.

                    - Alex
                  • Mr Ian Primus
                    Message 9 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                      --- On Thu, 8/23/12, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:

                      > >Let's have an informal vote.
                      >
                      > How about Party Saturday and Workshop Sunday ?
                      >
                      > I vote for a hybrid of some kind.

                      I don't think a hybrid will work. Not at all. Aside from the fact that both events require bringing different things, the draw of the events is different.

                      Tell me honestly - if you spent all Saturday drinking, watching bad movies, playing video games, and eating that god-awful soggy pizza we always order, do you think you'll be in any condition to do any meaningful hacking on Sunday?

                      Trying to combine Festivus and a work day would simply ruin both. Neither thing would be as much fun - we'd simply have a lackluster party and an unproductive day of tinkering.

                      Besides, a different crowd of people will want to come to the party vs. the work day. And there are different things we're aiming to accomplish (fixing things vs. trying to get just drunk enough that "Electric Dreams" becomes a worthwhile movie to watch)

                      -Ian
                    • Mr Ian Primus
                      Message 10 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                        --- On Wed, 8/22/12, Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote:

                        > Let's have an informal vote.

                        For the early December, I'd vote "party". The annual Festivus is always a lot of fun, and brings out a pretty good crowd. Not to mention, we've got a couple new members that haven't been to a Festivus yet.

                        I definitely did enjoy the work day, and I'd love for us to be able to have another one soon, but there's nothing stopping us from having a January or February work day or something. December get-together should be Festivus.

                        -Ian
                      • William Donzelli
                        Message 11 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                          > Regardless of which approach wins, we're looking at December 8-9.

                          Would it be possible to have the Festivus thing after the new year? I
                          have found that holiday parties right after Jan.1 are pretty good,
                          because most of the pressures of the season are off.

                          From this point on, there is still more than 1/3 of the year left. Are
                          you sure there is not room for two events?

                          (My vote is for not a hybrid.)

                          --
                          Will
                        • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                          Message 12 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                            Mr Ian Primus <ian_primus@...> writes:

                            >Besides, a different crowd of people will want to come to the party vs.
                            >the work day. And there are different things we're aiming to accomplish
                            >(fixing things vs. trying to get just drunk enough that "Electric
                            >Dreams" becomes a worthwhile movie to watch)

                            There wasn't enough alcohol there last year to make that worthwhile! :)

                            If it's a party, I have no problem making ribs or wing or both, and
                            the box that dispenses the black nectar of Dublin to rescue you from
                            soggy pizza.
                            Message 13 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                              > --- On Thu, 8/23/12, Jeffrey Brace <ark72axow@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > >Let's have an informal vote.
                              > >
                              > > How about Party Saturday and Workshop Sunday ?
                              > >
                              > > I vote for a hybrid of some kind.
                              >
                              > I don't think a hybrid will work. Not at all. Aside from the fact that
                              both events require bringing different things, the draw of the events is
                              different.

                              > Tell me honestly - if you spent all Saturday drinking, watching bad
                              movies, playing video games, and eating that god-awful soggy pizza we
                              always order, do you think you'll be in any condition to do any meaningful
                              hacking on Sunday?

                              > Trying to combine Festivus and a work day would simply ruin both. Neither
                              thing would be as much fun - we'd simply have a lackluster party and an
                              unproductive day of tinkering.

                              > Besides, a different crowd of people will want to come to the party vs.
                              the work day. And there are different things we're aiming to accomplish
                              (fixing things vs. trying to get just drunk enough that "Electric Dreams"
                              becomes a worthwhile movie to watch)

                              No drunken workshop? The Festivus is a tradition we should keep that in
                              December and find an earlier weekend for the workshop.
                              Message 14 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                                Will,
                                Wearing my MARCH VP hat...We're doing the festivus on the 8th (+9th) unless
                                there is an external reason that we can't. It's more a question if we add
                                a workshop type activity block or not.

                                From the responses it's looking like no formal workshop. There is nothing
                                stopping anyone from bringing a light project to work on on though.

                                Bill

                                Message 15 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                                  Small sample so far; party's in front by a vote or two.

                                  I just remembered something. While the event rooms on the main campus are pretty much spoke for in September and October, there is still a big room available down the street at the TIROS campus. We last used that room several years ago when its heat barely worked. I think it's been revamped by now. I will look into that. If its heat is solid, then maybe we can still do both events after all, a couple of months apart -- making this vote moot.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                                    >> there is still a big room available down the street at the TIROS campus.

                                    Correction -- unavailable -- disregard that message. Sorry.

                                    Would any members like to host an October workshop at their home or office? Or perhaps two workshops -- one south of the museum, and one north.
                                  • system@great-escape.tmesis.com
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                                      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> writes:

                                      >From the responses it's looking like no formal workshop. There is
                                      >nothing stopping anyone from bringing a light project to work on on
                                      >though.

                                      I'll have a D-cell, knife switch and a lamp socket. :)
                                    • William Donzelli
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012

                                        > Wearing my MARCH VP hat...We're doing the festivus on the 8th (+9th) unless
                                        > there is an external reason that we can't. It's more a question if we add
                                        > a workshop type activity block or not.

                                        A January work session would be ok as well.

                                        And I will agree with Ian - that pizza sucks.

                                        --
                                        Will

                                      • Jeffrey Brace
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Aug 23, 2012
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Aug 29, 2012
                                            Just an update on that room (that we now call the Nature Center):

                                            The electrician was in yesterday to add grounded power outlets to the room, including an outlet in the ceiling where were installing a projector.

                                            The HVAC system is difficult to balance for the building; to get even cooling, we close all the vents in the Nature Center, open all the vents in IXR, and open the door between the two for air return. We open the Nature Center vents as needed and keep a ladder in the boiler room for that purpose. It's a pain sometimes but we live with it.

                                            The building has heat, but I've been told it lacks insulation :)

                                            -DW
                                          • corey986
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Aug 29, 2012
                                              Cool. So when I teach my mini-sumo robotics class tomorrow I can actually plug the soldering irons in the room and not have to run a really long extension cord !!!

                                              Cheers,
                                              Corey

                                              Message 22 of 23 , Aug 29, 2012
                                                corey986 <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> writes:

                                                >Cool. So when I teach my mini-sumo robotics class tomorrow I can
                                                >actually p= lug the soldering irons in the room and not have to run a
                                                >really long exten= sion cord !!!
                                                >
                                                >Cheers, Corey

                                                If I were you, I'd test those outlets first just to make sure that that
                                                "ground" isn't merely a lug tied to the neutral. ;)
                                              • Bob Schwier
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Aug 30, 2012