MARCH / InfoAge - important

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2012
      MARCHins,

      It's come to my attention that a nasty rumor is going around about MARCH's
      status at InfoAge -- some people say we are in the InfoAge doghouse for
      using lots of space and not contributing back. This is unequivocally
      FALSE.

      Yesterday I had a conversation with Fred (InfoAge director) and today I
      had a conversation with Mike R. (InfoAge board of trustees chairman). All
      is well.

      There's good news. During the past few months, and during the next few
      months, every InfoAge member organization will (finally!) sign a lease.
      This is something we in MARCH have advocated for a long time -- we've been
      at InfoAge since 2005 on just a handshake. Now, at last, the business
      relationships between InfoAge and each member group will be formalized.
      This is a big step forward in the professional advancement of InfoAge
      itself.

      Chances are strong that groups like MARCH will pay a modest monthly/yearly
      fee -- not a "rental" per se, but a fee to at least help offset InfoAge's
      utility bills. That is fair.

      Rest assured, the requirements for individuals to participate in MARCH
      will remain free (as in beer), as long as we can continue operating on
      donations, random equipment sales, and VCF East income. I do not
      anticipate that changing.

      Now or in the future, if anyone has specific questions about MARCH's
      relationship to InfoAge, then it's vital to ask me * directly * -- please
      do not rely on InfoAge volunteers or anyone else who may think they know.
      That's part of how the rumor got started in the first place.

      It's been an especially awesome 8 years for MARCH @ InfoAge. I'm stoked
      about 8 more and beyond!