MacGyver-like CP/M question

  • Richard A. Cini
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006

      All:

                  Here’s a CP/M system puzzle for the group…

      Here’s the MacGyver part: I have a 48k IMSAI system with a dual-disk unit in which only one disk works (I have no spares). The drives are FD-400 (single-sided), 8” drives. I have found so far only one bootable CP/M diskette (version 1.4). Some other disks I’ve found have various utilities on them but with only one drive and those disks not being bootable, it’s very hard to use them. I have a working terminal (a laptop) and the monitor ROM in the IMSAI has the ability to receive Intel HEX files and stuff them into memory. The bootable disk I’ve found is not complete – it’s bootable but has some applications on it but no CP/M utilities at all.

      What I don’t have: neither a second working disk drive nor a spare drive to connect to a PC. I also do not have a printed copy of the CBIOS (at least I haven’t found it on a disk yet).

                  What I want to do: build at least one new CP/M boot disk with useful utilities using the good drive. I’d really like to upgrade to CP/M 2.2 if possible.

                  Where should I start with this project???

      Rich

      Rich Cini
      Collector of classic computers
      Build Master for the Altair32 Emulation Project
      Web site: http://highgate.comm.sfu.ca/~rcini/classiccmp/

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2006
        I am unsure if I could be of any help, but I looked around my "shop" anyway to see if I could find anything that I think you'd find useful.  Unfortunately my IMSAI stuff is all BASIC programs on 5 1/4" formatted for the Micropolis 1030/1040 drive, hard-sectored.  I have misc. 8" disks with various CP/M iterations, but it'd be a stretch to guess that they would be of any use to you.  If you're in the Newark DE area you're welcome to look around my stuff and see if anything would be of any use.

        Bill D

        At 08:32 PM 3/4/2006 -0500, you wrote:

[...]

        Vintage computer Computer security Computer training
        Field trip

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS